Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon.... (Read 354006 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon....
Reply #2265 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Yes I use some wee cases similar to that - do the job well.  Fasttech usually very good with product and shipping.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2266 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
The deer held well in the night last night or should I say this morning. Very calm .The Hilux had a fatty on the dog box as it headed back up north. Using 55gr Barnes tsx. All deer neck shot and dropped like an anchor. Man it is impressive to watch in the light.No prisoners that pill.Old work boss of my son text earlier in week asking for some venison.Skinned, packaged and delivered late this morning. Having family function so very happy. Wink

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2267 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Nicely done sako.. 

Just a comment here - there is a new Maxtoch torch called Xsword being advertised on trademe at round $500. Just be aware the M24 and 2X are much better for hunting than this new light. We've tested this light - it has an extremely thin beam using laser diode, and has zero spill to scan terrain. Has 2km range but not really a hunting light. We keep a close eye on new torches round the planet and 2X and M24 still the best all-purpose hunter lights you can buy.

IP Logged

dribbler

Reply #2268 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Appreciate your work mudgripz,sako has a Maxtoch under his pillow that he fondles in his sleep.Any suggestions for a short torch that i can hang of knife belt or lanyard round neck.After a circle of light forward so i can glance down and see where to step.Thanks.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2269 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Our last deer was dead before the thermal boys could get their thumb out of their mouth.If you have 2/3 crew the Maxi is lethal.Yes T3 and DPT are our other silent partners. Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2270 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Dribbler - just talking with Brian (gadgetman) and our suggestion for a smaller handheld would be this little Convoy C8 with an XML2 led in it. Convoy a good brand, torch range standard is about 100-200m, but if you wanted more distance Brian could dedome it for you to push it out to 200-400m. Price looks like about $35NZ incl post. Seller Gearbest usually good:

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_102103.html?wid=1433363&currency=NZD...

Ask them if they have holsters - if not I might have one here somewhere.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2271 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
This might be a better buy option - direct from the Convoy store at about $27NZ delivered. Select the XML U2 1A version:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Convoy-c8-strong-light-flashlight-cree-xml-u2-t6...

and they sell holsters:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-holster-for-C8-high-quality/330416_....

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #2272 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Mike- can you plz explain all those "mode group" options. It's all Chinglish to me..

I suspect it's a Mode 3 I want- only full noise else 10% for walking along?? DEf don't want strobe.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2273 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Yeah confused me too.  I've sent Convoy an email asking which option is simplest i.e. just lo/med/hi.  We don't need lots of short switch press (3 seconds), long press (10 seconds ot whatever) to access different mode banks etc to confuse us when walking/hunting. Hopefully get an answer shortly.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2274 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Hello Chris et al - for the little Convoy C8 torch you choose XML2-U2-1A led, and then choose the "7135X8 mode option 2" box for simple lo/med/high switch.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #2275 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Cheers Mike. In my case, I'd favour Option three with a less grunty torch. Different story with 2Xs etc

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2276 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Cool - let us know what this little Convoy C8 is like if you buy one. 

The one thing that could be better with the Convoy's XML2-U2-1A led option is its very high colour temperature at 6500-7000K or Kelvin.  Measurement on the Kelvin scale measures a light's temperature or tint.  A high Kelvin temperature torch = extremely bright white with bluey tint which glares alot and washes out natural colour.  Ideally we use about 4500-5000K for hunting which is warmer, more towards old halogen tint, and gives much better object picture (CRI or Colour Rendition Index) down range.  Dedoming a 6500K torch will often drop it down to the warmer 4500-5000Kelvin - and this is what we've done to get the warmer, more natural beam for the M24 and 2X.

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/blog/2017/12/12/led-lighting/lighting-101-colo...

The Convoy C8 does come in other leds eg XML T6 but that's an older led, and the XPL HI is less efficient - requiring alot higher current for output which makes it run hotter and need stepdowns to lower mode after few minutes.  XML2-U2-1A still the best deal for it, and even at 6500-7000K it will be fine for pottering round/walking etc.

And that's the morning's physics...  Smiley

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #2277 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Penguinbait wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 5:01pm:
Batteries turned up, tested, - all good, brilliant in fact....Batteries came packed in a little torch, that confused me for a while.  Easily done mind...

Same for me , Mudgripz soon put me right on these .I hate waste so I am now trying to figure out a way to use them , maybe as an electric candle . I have a cuzzy in the electronics game so I am getting him to have a look at the problem .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

robo819

Reply #2278 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:34am:
Cool - let us know what this little Convoy C8 is like if you buy one. 

The one thing that could be better with the Convoy's XML2-U2-1A led option is its very high colour temperature at 6500-7000K or Kelvin.  Measurement on the Kelvin scale measures a light's temperature or tint.  A high Kelvin temperature torch = extremely bright white with bluey tint which glares alot and washes out natural colour.  Ideally we use about 4500-5000K for hunting which is warmer, more towards old halogen tint, and gives much better object picture (CRI or Colour Rendition Index) down range.  Dedoming a 6500K torch will often drop it down to the warmer 4500-5000Kelvin - and this is what we've done to get the warmer, more natural beam for the M24 and 2X.

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/blog/2017/12/12/led-lighting/lighting-101-colo...

The Convoy C8 does come in other leds eg XML T6 but that's an older led, and the XPL HI is less efficient - requiring alot higher current for output which makes it run hotter and need stepdowns to lower mode after few minutes.  XML2-U2-1A still the best deal for it, and even at 6500-7000K it will be fine for pottering round/walking etc.

And that's the morning's physics...  Smiley

Hey Muddy (and others)

The Convoy C8 that you are speaking of is a good all around torch. I have had several that I gave away as gifts and still have 2 of them I kept. The XM-L2 U4 1A when dedomed in these lights gives you pretty much an identical tint to the factory dedomed 2X and M24 lights. Unless you do some modding and use a FET driver or something like that , the XP-L HI gives pretty close to the same output on these particular lights with only a very slight decrease in runtime with the stock driver that you (Muddy) mentioned above.
Personally I really like the XP-L HI V3 3C emitter for the C8 as it gives a really good tint for hunting or general use.

If you are wanting more from the C8 they are pretty easy to take apart and the mods are simple on these. The FET driver in place of the stock driver will give you about 4.5 to 4.7 amps at the tail using the dedomed XM-L2 U4 1A with about 1250 to 1275 lumens OTF. The thing with the C8 when using a XP-L HI you don't get the big amperage jump as we had in the 2X between the two emitters and usually about 1 amp more is what the HI emitter will pull and that will give you about 1350 to 1400 lumens OTF.

Also if a FET driver is used such as the ones I usually get I have 5 modes from starting in Moon / L / M / H / Turbo and NO blinking modes at all. the High mode is usually plenty for general use such as walking or even shooting out to 100 meters or so and then only use the Turbo for distances further out up to around 375 meters.

Here is what the tint of the XP-L HI V3 3C looks like compared to the Acebeam L16 with the 5700-6000K tint in it , from 137 meters to the front of the barn.

Acebeam L16

XP-L HI V3 3C (in C8)

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2279 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
My 2X just grins when someone talks about a competing torch. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards