Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon.... (Read 301290 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon....
Reply #2130 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Interesting. The red led 2X is getting mixed reviews. Paul Stenning is changing his red to a conventional white beam led after his testing, and Sako's experience also mixed. We'll be out in north canterbury in a week or two and add some data then.

Sako - one question from testing the red 2X sample. If buying a new Maxtoch ... from your experience would you buy a new white beam 2X/M24 or would you now go the red led 2X?

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2131 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
The 2X is top of the hill i.e. because it has the most boogie. The M24 if you want versatility and especially if you are walking and actively hunting. The lesser weight on the wrist makes a difference. White has to be the king. Maxtoch has it in spades. Going out with the "old" gang on Friday night Maxtoch, T3 223, Tok Can, BM2 and 65gr Sierra.As President Trump said it kills the infidels. Grin

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2132 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Glen Zediker makes the comment in his latest book MGA about the latest and greatest i.e. the latest is not necessarily the greatest. Maxtoch is proof of the lie.Nuff said. Spoke to my good mate from the Mist country and he trialled some of the new thermal gear etc. His view it was a game changer because he could easily slaughter all the deer he could find and find deer he could not normally see.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2133 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Has anyone tested the green led version of the 2X. We did brief testing years ago and green travelled further than red light, but at the time we noticed no gain using green over white light.

IP Logged

sneeze

Reply #2134 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 10:30am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:32am:
Has anyone tested the green led version of the 2X. We did brief testing years ago and green travelled further than red light, but at the time we noticed no gain using green over white light.

Mike, Iv had a green one for a bit. Like the red Im not that fussed on it. Going to take it on the next wallaby trip to see if it helps. Some times animals seem to hold well but over a good sized sample of spotting I dont think theres any real gain over the white. Weve found the best way to stop hares running is the shake the light quickly on and off them. Dosnt always work but it seems to stop more than anything else weve tried. 
Happy to send it down if you want to give it a spin

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2135 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
The 2X is rubbish or something is wrong with ours. It picked out a big fat red stag @ 2am in a prick of a steep ugly gorge. Superman whacks it and then demands we carry it out whole. 2.25hours later we hit the bloody  top.Rooted.Coming home saw great drama as the truck screeched to a halt and a mad flurry to get rifle out chamber and follow a cat streaking away @ 150m. Good kitty. Stops ,looks back and goes to an appointment with the devil.Thank you Mr Sierra for helping the native birds.The beast was the only 1 we saw. Think there is something about barometric changes. It was still and calm and the grass wet with the prior light rain.But no beasts. Some one ask Darren if our hearing is ok because we are running a SS baffle at the muzzle plus 7 standard baffles. Making huge sound difference.Much less noise. The deer are reacting like this...bang, head up, and they are looking around to try to pinpoint the noise.Seem unsure what to do.We were getting mega distance with the 2X.Must have been because it was so dark even with 1/2 moon. Lotsa cloud cover. Wink

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2136 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Sneeze - yes will be good to test the green led 2X also. PM sent. I heard you sold that little marlin 60DLX semiauto - that was one sweet little rifle.

IP Logged

sneeze

Reply #2137 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Yes Its being looked after by a good mate with a promise of return if he ever sells it.
Green torch on its way tomorrow.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #2138 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Right ..... just had a yarn with a farming mate who has one of the biggest deer problems on winter crop  in the south .... he uses thermal to find them and get into position then 2X to shoot ..... he got a red beamed one as well and was very disappointed with how the red beamed one spooked deer and went back to using old 2X

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2139 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:31am
Print Post  
A simple gps coordinate of the offending winter crop paddock on this forum and I imagine the reprobate deer would vanish pronto Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2140 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Latest 2X with the new circuit board measured in at 403,000 lux, which is a 10% increase over earlier 2Xs. Not that you'd notice it much with naked eye. This equates to 1.270 kilometers max range, or 1384 yards down to equivalent of full moonlight on target in clear conditions. Pretty flash for a scope light. Any of the M24s, 2Xs will do if dedomed, and some of the upgraded original SN6X-2 torches from several years ago are still doing the spottie job very well.

Just looking at poss new leds but in reality to get more distance we'd have to make light a helluva lot bigger and heavier - like double to triple present weight. Because if you want to drive a much bigger 90-100mm reflector light, with higher output led, you'd have to have alot more battery power. No advantage in that when 99% of night shooting in NZ will be under 200 meters.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2141 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Last sentence says it all.May have to buy a new 2X as the home one is heading north.Pity the moon is dropping in 2 weeks time. Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2142 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Okay ... out shooting bunnies last night from the truck and we had a look at the red led and green led model 2Xs alongside my standard white beam 2X. 

First shoot of the season after tailing finished here and was just stunned how good the white beam 2X is. Absolutely daylights anything within shooting range. We shot from 8.30 to midnight and each did just one batt change which was also good. This is an amazing bit of hunter kit.

We did try the green and red led torches  but frankly they don't interest us. The type of led in these colour torches (XP-E2) puts out a fraction of the total light of the white XML2  torch, and the coloured 2Xs are more pencil beams. Yes they have a little spill, but they were like candles alongside the white beam 2X. We did not carry on to test them on animals because the standard white 2X was doing such an awesome job.

So will the red and green leds work - maybe - but my own new red led 2X is off to gadgetman now to be converted to white beam. Other results for the red and green leds are very mixed - with guys again preferring the standard white beam.

Personally I'd recommend buying the white led 2X unless you've found some specific use for which you know a red will suit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards