Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon.... (Read 307624 times)
sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon....
Reply #2115 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Lucky us. Getting the Red Light District to try out.Keen to see what the reaction is to our friends. Both jap and red will be participants. Wonder if there will be any difference. Love that technology.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2116 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
There will be a few of us hanging out for your report back on the red devil. I know I can walk along in the tussock with the red led on my H01 going and not raise a peep, but switch to white and there's squeals from quite close by (Sika country). Would love it if the red 2X doesn't spook them as much as white does. I have lit places I know have not been lit for years, and they still start making tracks after a few seconds. Huh

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #2117 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I have given the red beamed X2 a good work out over recent months and I am afraid the news is not as positive as I was expecting/hoping ..... You can use a red  headlight to navigate with and not alarm animals .... but put them in a red beam and it is a different story. Hares and possums will not hold in the red beam as well as white .... all eyes look the same colour .... red.... when lighting swede paddocks for deer the red beam would panic sheep that were on breaks .... deer on heavily spotlighted farms bolted and what should have been dumb yearlings would turn away or walk away ..... brilliant for retaining night vision ..... now how do I convert my red beam to a white one?

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2118 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Very useful info thanks Huh

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2119 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Good feedback Paul. Hope to get into testing next month. Contact gadgetman - he has some spare boards/leds and can do white led switch for you for not many dollars.

IP Logged

robo819
Just Joined

Reply #2120 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I reviewed the Red and the Green 2X both awhile back. I have had the chance to see how a number of animals react to each since that time.
1st the Pigs or wild hogs , I already knew the Green is the choice for hunting those here in Texas as there is literally an epidemic of wild hogs and everyone prefers Green over white or red it seems.
The whitetail deer here will shy away from the Red a little more than the Green light also it seems , as do the bunnies.
The Opossums on the other hand seem to shy away from the Green light more than they do the Red and the Raccoons also shy away from the Green more. The Coyotes shy away from the Green more so than the Red also.

From my understanding of how it all works , some animals see the Red More and some see the Green more , depending on the way the Rods and Cones are setup in that particular animals eyes. So I guess really there is NO perfect color light for hunting All animals you have to kind of figure out what color spooks which animal least really.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2017 at 12:05am by robo819 »  

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2121 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Paul Stenning wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 7:50pm:
I have given the red beamed X2 a good work out over recent months and I am afraid the news is not as positive as I was expecting/hoping ..... You can use a red  headlight to navigate with and not alarm animals .... but put them in a red beam and it is a different story. Hares and possums will not hold in the red beam as well as white .... all eyes look the same colour .... red.... when lighting swede paddocks for deer the red beam would panic sheep that were on breaks .... deer on heavily spotlighted farms bolted and what should have been dumb yearlings would turn away or walk away ..... brilliant for retaining night vision ..... now how do I convert my red beam to a white one?

North Island deer different? Be interesting to explore.

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Reply #2122 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
sako wrote on Oct 3rd, 2017 at 6:59am:
[
North Island deer different? Be interesting to explore.

Have you given it a go yet Sako?

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2123 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Yes arrived today. Just been for a walk with the dogs down the river. Great night for chasing pigs but not deer. Certainly a different type of light. Head up country on Friday night for a tikitour. Probably not hunt but just locate animals. No shooter till next week.Sorta like been at the disco. Grin Night fever.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2124 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Interesting ... this red led 2X is not a variant gadget, Robo and I helped design, but red has often been touted as great for night shooting so its a good experiment. We did a little red led testing 4-5 years back but not enough to be conclusive about its effectiveness. Paul's data good. Give that red one a blast Sako and we'll test it out also later this month too.

I suspect robo may be on the money - that the effectiveness of the coloured led will depend on the species you're targetting. Couple more reports and we'll be pretty sure for NZ animals

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2125 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Mist and rain this avo up the Kawekas.Got wet. May be settling in for a couple of days. Much cooler.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2126 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Sako - did you get a chance to check out that red led 2X?

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2127 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Report shortly. Out again tonight. Wink

IP Logged

robo819
Just Joined

Reply #2128 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Well just out of curiosity I decided to see if the original upgraded 2X with dedomed XM-L2 U4 1A would be brighter than the sun.
Much to my surprise  on a day with full sunlight and absolutely NO cloud cover I took the light outside and sure enough, I turned it on and snapped the following picture holding the 2X at about shoulder height with the light in High mode This was in the middle of the day with the sun almost directly over head too.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2129 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Red Light District
Our trial revealed. It is a very different type of light in intensity, distance and operation.It is a very focused beam. It is not a searcher.Found it harder to readjust the eyes compared to the 2X or M24. Could be age or preference.First gully we whacked it on to locate a red  stag feeding in a tight gully about 80m away. Up went the head immediately and he got one in the throat with grass still hanging out of his mouth.He picked up the light very quickly.Next we picked off a young sika stag high tailing it to the scrub. Not sure if the light or wind.Shot him above shoulders and thru spine. Next trip either the deer were spooky or the light was upsetting them.Superman nailed 2 out of a mob of 4 but it was difficult to get the beam on them as they scattered.Overall the deer do react to the light differently to the white beam.Think the white beam is softer and the RLD affects the internals of the deer's eyes.We have shot many deer with the 2X/M24. Old hunting methods die hard .However we had quite some success on hares.If you were absolutely intent on minimising your light footprint it is the light for you.Thanks Mike. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards