Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 143 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon.... (Read 307626 times)
Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Re: Maxtoch SN6X-2 upgrade soon....
Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
My guess is the numbers are more like 1050 lumen vs the original 800 or so taking heat into account which still lends itself to 30%. If not they may have altered the reflector to get a little bit more throw.

IP Logged

crnkin
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Hopefully the colour is pretty neutral on the xml2's as well?

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I am kind of hoping the new XML2 tint might be on the cool white side of neutral. This means with dedoming (which always warms the tint) the CRI (colour rendition index of the LED) might come up to a neutral to slightly warm tint - or natural to creamy in colour, perfect for hunting. And dedoming will increase hugely the throw distance for this light at no extra cost.

IP Logged

crnkin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
true actually

IP Logged

noobhunter

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Im pretty sure "lumens per watt" are up with the new XML2s.
so assuming they drive them at the same amps, the runtimes should remain the same with an increase in output.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Yep I expect that will be true.

I should have the sample here for testing over the back paddock later in March, and might look at a big bulk order round then.

IP Logged

Wattie
Just Joined

Reply #21 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Now this I just have to get my hands on. So impressed with the original SN. Just a thought around bulk buy. If a parcel goes over $400NZD it automatically cops an import tax and it is pretty hefty. Probably making it not as worthwhile.
Can't wait Cheesy

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Hey MM and Muddy, how much fluffing around does it take to de dome the chip ? sounds like it would be worth a go but would be a bit worried about munting it  Shocked

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Give it to Ben (MM) when the new ones arrive - he's getting pretty flash at it.

IP Logged

crnkin
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Ill have to get Ben to return a favour and get a couple of mine de-domed.

BTW I ordered another a60 and it just shipped this morning. Must be back in stock.

My Xintd c8 is still in limbo, not replying to emails, no evidence it ever shipped. intl-outdoor seems dodgy to me.

Chris

IP Logged

Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'll have to get Ben to return a favour and get a couple of mine de-domed.

BTW I ordered another a60 and it just shipped this morning. Must be back in stock.

My Xintd c8 is still in limbo, not replying to emails, no evidence it ever shipped. intl-outdoor seems dodgy to me.

Chris

No worries... I have some copper sheet now so will make up some 32mm boards for the XM-L2s once the 20mm boards arrive. I think tonight's project will be putting a coloured XPE in the A60 host and seeing if it will be worth while buying 3 or 4 more Grin. I did try the reflector with a de-domed XML but it didn't work: very small and not very bright hotspot and a very larger, fairly bright (compared to the spill) secondary hotspot. 

Intl-outdoor have very good reputation over at BLF (my 2 or 3 orders with them have all been sent within 3-4 days)... my guess is they are still lagging behind due to the Chinese new year.

Here are a couple of before and after shots of de-domed torches Mike sent me... the JM26 (right most in both shots) is the control.

Before

After

About 2X the hotspot intensity so should be good for another 50% throw (caeteris paribus).

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #26 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Mmmm very interesting.

The weakest one - the XML headlamp on the left is alot better, but the middle one - the TA6X-7 Maxtoch is hugely improved. Looks like 100% better with much tighter hotspot, and the dedomed tint not too yellow.

This TA6X-7 was a good torch anyway - easily picking up power poles at 300m or so. With this mod it could well be nearer 450-500m. Especially useful as you can run it on two batts, or drop it to a one batt stubby config:

http://maxtoch.en.alibaba.com/product/709608691-214835830/MAXTRAC_TA6X_7_1000_Lu...

This modding works seriously well. When the new SNs arrive it will be time to play with an old model. They could be massive with dedoming. I am also looking at a lux meter because we are often improving our gear. What about this? Thoughts?

http://dx.com/p/digital-lux-meter-with-stand-200000lux-5100

And here's some more but don't want to spend too many $$$:

http://dx.com/s/lux+meter

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #27 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
scottrods wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:19am:
She'd be a beaut wallaby slayer on top of the 223 Cambo.

Having just blown $13k on flights for European trip later this year there is no way I can waste $60 to upgrade the SN6-X2 I already have.   Angry

I need a new head torch though. The XML's look promising for that.

Yes you can. Go on be brave. I have to do it . Grin

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Cambo - you can borrow my dedomed XML headlamp and a stock SN6X-2 to look at if you like. Give me a call on 322 4570.

Also just got reply from Maxtoch - they will supply me with new XML2  LEDs which we can then hopefully put into our existing SNs to do a quick upgrade.

Ben - how easy is it to do an LED swap and maintain perfect LED centering etc?

The question then is do we also dedome our existing SNs when putting in these new XML2 LED? If dedomed they don't come up too warm/yellowish it may be an option - and again cost b... all.

We'll have a look at the new SN, see what the tint is. Then we'll probly do a dedome on an older SN with its older T6 XML LED - and if that goes too yellowy we'll dedome and put into it one of the newer XML2 Leds. Check tints are right for hunting etc

Personally I'll always have two SN6X-2s - spottie and rifle mounted as needed - and will  probly go for one new model SN which I'll keep standard, then upgrade and mod the older SN with the new LED, dedomed, copper board etc - bumping it up to 100-150k lux from stock 52k. Cost might be $30 all up.

Ben - you may have a part-time job happening shortly. The kiwi version of the US 'One Stop Throw Shop'......

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #29 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Legend! Expect a call soon Mike Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 143
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards