Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Introduction and Advice on DIY public land Tahr, Red and Fallow Deer (Read 1867 times)
Longbowman
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Introduction and Advice on DIY public land Tahr, Red and Fallow Deer
Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Hey fellas,
    I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old traditional bowhunter and hobby bowyer from the US.  I have a passion for mountain hunting and spend as much time as I can out in it here in the US during seasons with my longbows.  That's not to say I always tag out though! I'm looking to take a trip to New Zealand to bowhunt tahr, red deer, and perhaps fallow deer on a do-it-yourself arrangement on public land.  I'm tentatively planning to head over the latter part of April perhaps into May.  I understand this might catch the end of the red deer roar and the beginning of the tahr rut, my main interest being the tahr.  I hope I'm not too forward in asking, but I was hoping to get some advice on areas to look into where I might find decent numbers of these species.  I'm mainly after numbers for stalking opportunities; any animal with one of my longbows is a trophy to me.  I understand information like that is not something to necessarily be posted on a public forum, but perhaps someone here can help guide me in the right direction by email.  I'm in good physical condition (I'm a wildlife field technician here in the US) and don't mind hiking in a day or two to get into animals and away from people and helicopters.  I've been looking into the Huxley and Hopkins catchments on the NZ Department of Conservation site, but understand there has been some helicopter gunning there recently.  Any advice you all may offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Respectfully,
Matt Grode (mmgrode@yahoo.com)

IP Logged

dan

Re: Introduction and Advice on DIY public land Tahr, Red and Fallow Deer
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Hi. Yep the DOC website is a good place to start, here if you haven't already got to it:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/
Good time of year to be heading over. Most of the large river Valleys from the Hopkins north will hold tahr and there's plenty of public land around. Not so many tahr in the Huxley from my experience. If you don't mind a good walk it could be worth checking out the West Coast (also on DOC website). There is a ballot system for some blocks from the end of April to July but this is only for Helicopter access - if you are prepared to walk in then they're fair game. Good to see you're after a 'real' hunt on public land.

IP Logged

Vazza
Donor Member

hunting... best shared
with mates

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
maybe post this in the bow hunting section as well... there you will find a few like minded poeople and no doubt someone who can steer you in the right direction... best of luck.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
sorry to inform you that there wouldnt be a spot in nz which is free from helicopter intrusion

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:20pm:
sorry to inform you that there wouldnt be a spot in nz which is free from helicopter intrusion

Thats not 100% accurate  Wink Smiley

Theres alot of bush country, private land, RHA areas that you will not have intrusion from helicopters.

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Longbowman wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:41pm:
Hey fellas,
    I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old traditional bowhunter and hobby bowyer from the US.  I have a passion for mountain hunting and spend as much time as I can out in it here in the US during seasons with my longbows.  That's not to say I always tag out though! I'm looking to take a trip to New Zealand to bowhunt tahr, red deer, and perhaps fallow deer on a do-it-yourself arrangement on public land.  I'm tentatively planning to head over the latter part of April perhaps into May.  I understand this might catch the end of the red deer roar and the beginning of the tahr rut, my main interest being the tahr.  I hope I'm not too forward in asking, but I was hoping to get some advice on areas to look into where I might find decent numbers of these species.  I'm mainly after numbers for stalking opportunities; any animal with one of my longbows is a trophy to me.  I understand information like that is not something to necessarily be posted on a public forum, but perhaps someone here can help guide me in the right direction by email.  I'm in good physical condition (I'm a wildlife field technician here in the US) and don't mind hiking in a day or two to get into animals and away from people and helicopters.  I've been looking into the Huxley and Hopkins catchments on the NZ Department of Conservation site, but understand there has been some helicopter gunning there recently.  Any advice you all may offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Respectfully,
Matt Grode (mmgrode@yahoo.com)

you better add a chamois to your list!!

You will get some good information off the members off this site. Start interacting in some off the posts and im sure you will get some great info!.
I suggest the west coast for thar. Those creeks will allow you to get in nice and close to some good bulls- hopefully!
She will be tough work closing the gap in those open river valleys on the east coast.

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
JAKDanby wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:00am:
you better add a chamois to your list!!

You will get some good information off the members off this site. Start interacting in some off the posts and im sure you will get some great info!.
I suggest the west coast for thar. Those creeks will allow you to get in nice and close to some good bulls- hopefully!
She will be tough work closing the gap in those open river valleys on the east coast.

Probably also for chamois too. Some of the tight wee creek beds are great for catching out a wandering chamois.

IP Logged

DavidC

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
If your lucky a like minded member from the Mainland may take you for a wander on some private land that they have access to!

Just and idea guys! hint hint.

IP Logged

Longbowman
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
As I understand it, the west coast is basically a rainforest, right?  I was mainly considering the eastern watershed due to the open glassing, but the stalking cover would certainly be welcome.  Do you guys find glassing tahr difficult in the westland?   
Thanks very much for the help!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Longbowman wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:19pm:
As I understand it, the west coast is basically a rainforest, right?  I was mainly considering the eastern watershed due to the open glassing, but the stalking cover would certainly be welcome.  Do you guys find glassing tahr difficult in the westland?   
Thanks very much for the help!

Theres always a tree line somewhere.. even above what you term a rain forest..

As far as stalking cover  is concerned, youll find with a bit of thought the terrain features on the eastern flanks will usually offer you all the cover you will need.

oh just read your post again, i see you are a bow hunter. Perhaps you should be asking these same questions in the bow hunting section?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Longbowman
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Yes, I'd definitely be keeping an eye out for chamois as well should that opportunity present itself.  What you have there is really something special; open seasons generally year round, no size minimums, numerous species of big game and plenty of public land.   As a contrast, comparable mountain goat and sheep tags here in the states are VERY hard to come by and quite expensive when you do finally draw.  You all are just a drive and hike away from a goat hunt and high adventure!   That's pretty awesome!

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
DavidC wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:25pm:
If your lucky a like minded member from the Mainland may take you for a wander on some private land that they have access to!

Just and idea guys! hint hint.

Why private land??? Most of the best country is on our DOC estate on both North and South islands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards