Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upper Rangitata, Access (Read 1377 times)
ryansonghurst
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Upper Rangitata, Access
Feb 12th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
What are you guys using to access the upper reaches of the Rangitata? I had actually lived in the area for the past 7 years and always planned to get up there for a look but never quite got there due to work and other commitments. Spent the last year working in South America but im back now and keen to get up there during the roar. I have a Suzuki Vitara, Has a decent set of mud tyres on it but its not raised up and doesnt have a snorkel etc. Will it be a waste of time trying to get up there in the zuki?

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Re: Upper Rangitata, Access
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
not that many deer up the rangitata that ive seen while tahr hunting. infact only ever heard of 2 deer shot up there. definitely can think of better spots for a deer during the roar, might be a few more on the private land up those ways Undecided

id be very careful in a Suzuki that hasn't been raised or does not have a snorkel. saying that during april weather is usually more settled and river should be a little bit lower, always walk crossings first, I found out the hard way and that was in a SWB pajero Embarrassed Grin

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

ryansonghurst
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks mate, didnt think there would be many deer up there but im just really interested in going up there just for a look around and thought if I was going to spot something then the roar is a good a time as any. Was told there wasnt many deer in the peel forest area also but went for a look and managed to bag my first stag up there...  Tongue

IP Logged

ryansonghurst
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
and with regards to the swb Pajero, had one before i left for Uruguay and loved it, put quite a few hilux, landcruisers etc to shame, went everywhere, except for a rather embarrasing attempt at crossing the rangitata in low-flow right beside the SH1 bridge, had quite an audience while we dragged it out with the tractor haha

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
ryansonghurst wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:11pm:
Thanks mate, didnt think there would be many deer up there but im just really interested in going up there just for a look around and thought if I was going to spot something then the roar is a good a time as any. Was told there wasnt many deer in the peel forest area also but went for a look and managed to bag my first stag up there...  Tongue

good stuff Smiley take ya binos and shoot a tahr to Cool

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

MJ 308
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Shoot some Thar up there  Wink

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I have had a suzuki and I currently have a land cruiser.  In many cases the smaller vehicle is the better suited one.  Canterbury riverbeds aren't one of these cases though.  It's all about big mutha tyres to get over the boulders and through the rivers.  That and a decent snorkel.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

MJ 308
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Second that, Big tyres and a good snorkel. If unsure walk the crossing first easyier than a expensive repair bill   Smiley

IP Logged

Callum Mckenzie

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
went on a school trip into peel forest. there was deer sign beside the road haha and a mate of mine shot a good stag in the upper rangitata just before christmas when he out looking for tahr

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Great looking red and wapiti stags behind the fence on Stew Point station  Grin The velvet is coming off right now. A month or so and the American tourists will be flying in for their "free range" hunts. Angry

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards