Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fallow stags scared of Reds??? (Read 1586 times)
LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Re: Fallow stags scared of Reds???
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Grandad, I know people who swear you can call in a buck? I am sure you have said otherwise. And as I have never called in a buck myself I am on the fence.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Grandad, I have a video of a buck I croaked in from about 100 yards away, When he was finally visible, we observed he only had one antler, and not a really mature buck. When he came out of the scrub, he was on a mission, and made his way, carefully but directly to the croaking, to within 7-8 yards from us. Also have a photo of an 8 point red stag and a spiker, , with a mature fallow buck standing a few yards behind them.
Shot both a  mature fallow buck and a 12 point red during the roar, within 8 seconds.   In our area fallow and reds seem to coexist in close proximity without aggression to the other  species.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:41am
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:38am:
In our area fallow and reds seem to coexist in close proximity without aggression to the other  species.

Have watched a Buck and Stag sound off on the same clearing and they didn't mind each other one bit.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:48am
Print Post  
LOVETT wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 8:57am:
Grandad, I know people who swear you can call in a buck? I am sure you have said otherwise. And as I have never called in a buck myself I am on the fence.

I can only speak from my own observations.  Over nearly sixty years, and in every herd (ex Hokonui) in N.Z.. What your friends are observing is young bucks rushing in to try for one of the does that the "big boy" is holding.  As opposed to a stag that will come in to fight for a stand, a breeding territory.
Xpoacher, your final six words are important.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:58am
Print Post  
i have had responses when croaking fallow bucks, but only ever young bucks, never the big boy.
ime often when a mature buck is croaking on his stand he has a hot doe there. there are often lots of young bucks close by. they are excited by the action and will come in or croak back etc but the big boy wont leave his hot doe for anything.
i have seen the master leave his doe briefly to chase of young bucks who get to close but he wont leave her for long.

IP Logged

ramjet24
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:02am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:41pm:
as said, fallow bucks are scrappy buggers. but reds and fallow roar at different times. reds early April, fallow late April in general terms. they probably wont cross paths at the height of each others roars.
torana, that would have been epic to witness!

The year I shot my good fallow the big stags were croaking well in late March, 27th from recollection! Not an expert on exactly when they are normally doing this. Was very summery weather too for what difference that makes.

This was also on private property with limited hunting pressure in the central north island which might be different from traditional herd locations such as Caples/Greenstone.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
crikey thats very early!

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I've posted this before but its kind of relevant to this thread.
you can hear the master buck croaking on his pad, he has a hot doe. trying to get in on him is difficult as there a lot of deer around him, mainly young satellite bucks.
it is these young ones that in my experience are the ones who will come in for a look if you croak them, sometimes.
the negative of course is you are unlikely to get the master come in but you give your position away. imo, better to stay quiet and try and maneuver through the surrounding deer and get a peak at the master.

IP Logged

Nik Maxwell
Donor Member

NZG&H

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
The first 10 Days of April 2012 there was plenty of activity up Te Puke as seen on the Trailcam. Was hunting Reds and Sika that roar so was only really Trailcamming that area at that time.

Awesome video chris!

….The hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaude or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his act, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers….
IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:48am:
I can only speak from my own observations.  Over nearly sixty years, and in every herd (ex Hokonui) in N.Z.. What your friends are observing is young bucks rushing in to try for one of the does that the "big boy" is holding.  As opposed to a stag that will come in to fight for a stand, a breeding territory.
Xpoacher, your final six words are important.

From my own observations, (...nowhere 60 years though!) what I have seen includes this, but master stags coming togther for a challenge AS WELL. 2 years ago from a high point I watched 2 master bucks, both holding good numbers of hinds in different valleys come together on a ridge inbetween the two of them and have it out. After the scrap the victor chased the loser right off the farm and into the distance. He came back a half hour later to check his girls and then visited the losers ones as well. SO...it appeared that each others croaking annoyed each other to the point where a fight erupted. As mentioned these are just my observations.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:17am
Print Post  
that would have been awesome to witness torana! they sure are agro buggers!

IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:17am:
that would have been awesome to witness torana! they sure are agro buggers!

It sure was! On that day I had my wife and one son with me as well. It was a real show. In the end I shot the older one who won the fight. he was an older animal and his antlers were going back and were infact smaller than the one that was chased off. I wanted the one that was chased off to come back and procreate as he had a nicer set of antlers.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
good thinking. i have been lucky enough to see two fallow bucks fight only once. they give no quarter that's for sure!
stood there spell bound as they scrapped 100 mtrs away. once they had finished and one had been chased off i remembered my vid cam in my pocket! Roll Eyes Angry Embarrassed

IP Logged

Sikahunta

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Anzac weekend always used to be good for the fallow up on the Kaipara. They are aggressive little buggers. I watched a stag pin a hind up against a fence one day. He  kept driving into her with his antlers and she was making a horrible squealing noise. I yelled at him to try and stop him and he didn't even take any notice. Not your usual foreplay.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards