Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Windsor Great Park Throwback (Read 4436 times)
Ironsights

Re: The Windsor Great Park Throwback
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Great pics Grandad - do you have anymore?
Was your display all from Nth Island deer?  Were any of the deer in your display from Game Parks?
As the guys are saying, this trait is mostly found on Windsor deer.
Banwell has traced it back to the actual forest region in Germany, if you read the book (which isn't in front of me at the moment).
Clinton Valley in Fiordland is known to produce a few Windsor throwbacks. 
It's a very cool thing on a feral stag, almost as cool as the Windsor Rose which is more difficult to find.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Yes Ironsights, the 15 heads in the display were all wild Wairarapa stags. I don't rate Estate ones. Obviously I can't say I located all the Windsors, but I worked on it for months and honestly believed I found most of them. The photo display has been kept for Parkvale hall which is owned by Wairarapa NZDA. And both the pics I showed, the actual heads were displayed at National conference, Masterton.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Hook_Grass

270. win

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Ironsights do you have any pictures of a Windsor rose? I've never seen that before.
Grandad is the throwback more common throughout the Wairarapa herd then any other herd?

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #18 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Hook_Grass wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 3:15pm:
Ironsights
Grandad is the throwback more common throughout the Wairarapa herd then any other herd?

Banwell (p.67) seems to say so.  Personally I've only seen it in Wairarapa & Rakaia herds.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Tahr-Bound
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
There's a good pic in the Percy Lyes book of an antler in the Whitcombe with a strange wapiti like shape.

IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
This is the head I was talking about...a very long throwback. And to make it more interesting the other antler is very flat the whole length.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards