Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Windsor Great Park Throwback (Read 4496 times)
Hook_Grass

270. win

The Windsor Great Park Throwback
Feb 11th, 2013 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I was recently looking through some of my fathers old hunting pics and come across a stag with odd throwbacks on both antlers.

A bit of research and digging around and i found out about the Windsor great park throwback. But although i found out what it was i was struggling to find any real great info about it, anyone know much? I also managed to find the head hanging up on a fence.
Was wondering how common the throwbacks are? Have any of you other hunters shot a stag with such throwbacks before?

Taken in Kaikoura in the early 1980's and despite how it looks i have been assured its a pure wild red stag no wap in it.  Cool

Cheers HG  Smiley

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The Windsor Great Park Throwback
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
interesting pics.
I seen a similar red head taken from the golden bay area about 9 or 10 years ago 1 side had a very large single tyne throwback like in your photo, the otherside had a small 1 only about 3"long wouldve been interesting to see what it wouldve done the next year.
thats the only red head i have ever seen with a throwback

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Banwell's book "The Royal stags of Windsor" gives full detail on the Windsor throwbacks in N.Z.. You could get the book thru your library.  They occur in several parts of N.Z., including the Wairarapa. Some members may have attended NZDA National conference in Masterton in July -- I prepared a display of 15 Windsor throwbacks shot in the Wairarapa. I have a folder of the photos but posting them via Photobucket would be too difficult.  I shot a nice one last year in the Wilberforce.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

souwester
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
The throwback tine on animals of Windsor Park strain was quite common in NZ in the early days when feed was plentiful and the stags were liberating new country. On most examples the throwback tine erupts behind the trez tine or a little further up and sometimes on both antlers.The Windsor throwback is not to be confused with the Wapiti style throwback which is present in animals of Warnham and Woburn strain and which is basically a continuation of the main beam. We can thank Bruce Banwell for the above info and the 'Windsor Throwback' terminology. Smiley

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
This is some of the comments from Bruce Banwells book ,The Royal Stags of Windsor.Its a characteristic which shows in antlers of stags originating from Windsor park strain ".The three survivours of the original six deer shipped to New Zealand accentuated three charactreristics more prevelent in NewZealand than anywhere else in the world.(colour variation,the windsor rose, and the windsor throwback)".It appears  more commonly on the right antler behind the trey tine and can be as long as twelve inches or more.He says in his book that the throwback is found  in Hungary , Poland and Germany.It is thought that Germany supplied Windsor park some of the original bloodlines.Interesting reading.Apparently common around the Wairarapa.Makes a good trophy even more special if you can get one.If you can get hold of one of his Nz Deer heads books youll see the throwback evident on some of those massive heads.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  

An older animal.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
crikey hes seen a few roars ethos! Cool

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Another example.

IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
The red head that has always intrigued me is the one on the Makino Hut in the Kawekas. Has anyone got a picture??

IP Logged

smokeyo
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I shot a 13 with a throw back like that in the early eighties in the 60/8,Iwitahi

IP Logged

Hook_Grass

270. win

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies guys, definitely is a neat looking oddity that's a lot more common then i would have ever thought.
Grandad i remember seeing your great stag with the counter parting throwbacks. I might just have to get my hands on that book and have a good read.
Ethos was that stag shot around here also?

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
nah hes a southlander  Smiley

IP Logged

Pengy
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Dodgy German genes known to occasionally reside at Windsor..............Hmmmm, sounds familiar  Grin Grin

There`s still time to change the road your on.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:22pm:
-- I prepared a display of 15 Windsor throwbacks shot in the Wairarapa. I have a folder of the photos .

OK, here are two pics from my folder "Windsor throwbacks of the Wairarapa."  Firstly the best one of 15, secondly one of two from last year. Enjoy.
  The Nitz head:

and Brent Moody, 2012 Glenburn.

Smiley

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Hook_Grass

270. win

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Those are both fantastic stags, and examples of the throwback. Thanks for sharing Grandad  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards