Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Not 1 of us I hope (Read 5461 times)
Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Not 1 of us I hope
Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Here's a real winner  Angry

Fuming emergency services are considering whether to prosecute a tramper who set off his emergency beacon because he was apparently running late and wanted a helicopter ride to his car.

The man, in his 60s, was tramping in South Westland and set off the beacon on Thursday afternoon.

At a cost of about $10,000 the Solid Energy Rescue Helicopter flew from Greymouth, only to find the man was fine, Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) said on Friday.

MNZ's Nigel Clifford says if the man set off the beacon simply because he was running late, then it was entirely inappropriate, potentially dangerous, and a clear breach of the beacon rules.

The helicopter was tied up for two-and-a-half hours, he said.

"That aircraft was unavailable for any other genuine emergency that may have arisen."

Penalties for the mis-use of beacons range from a formal warning, infringement notice penalty of $250 and prosecution, which carries a maximum fine of $30,000.

MNZ is considering what action to take over the tramper.

"While the decision to activate a beacon is one that only the person carrying it can make, depending on their circumstances, it is not a decision that should be taken lightly. It is certainly not a taxi service," Mr Clifford said.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=161302&fm=psp,tst

IP Logged

Charlie

Happy in the Hills

Re: Not 1 of us I hope
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
True, doesn't sound very cool, but it depends how late he was going to be. If he was going to be a day late then there would have been a search launched anyway which may have cost more than one chopper flying straight to him...?? Undecided
Recently had this debate with my better half, it's a tricky one. My personal thoughts were / are that plb's are for when you can't get yourself out i.e. injured but there's always a grey area  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Not enough detail in the article.

If it was a few hours then sure, w@nker.

If it was days, what about the risk/inconvenience/cost of a SAR operation and the distress to family.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Chris B wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:18pm:
Not enough detail in the article.

If it was a few hours then sure, w@nker.

If it was days, what about the risk/inconvenience/cost of a SAR operation and the distress to family.

Exactly right.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

MJ 308
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Yep i wouldnt set one off unless i was hurt or if i was really worried for my saftey ie trapped by flood waters etc.
Hard to know with so few details

IP Logged

Goodie
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Come down hard on him 30k!!

IP Logged

fat ninja

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
more info at stuff.co.nz

IP Logged

Pengy
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
If he was not injured or in mortal danger then I dont think he should have used the Plb, but we dont know how his mind was working at the time.
As an aside, I am obviously in the wrong line of work if it actually cost $10, 000 to use the chopper for 2 and half hours.  Grin

There`s still time to change the road your on.

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
In the Stuff article it says he is a tramper from Nelson who has written books on the subject. Given his age of 67 that makes it fairly easy to work out who the plonker is.
On the debate of use, my view is that being overdue is not a reason to activate. Along with that your contact person should have a discussion with you regarding weather, rivers, routes etc so that if you are held up by a flooded river then not too much alarm is generated. After 24 hours this would be revised and police notified. This has worked for me when I was overdue saving a search, and has worked when I was the contact person for a couple of climbers overdue on Sabre. Police were notified and they waited another 24 hours before commencing search. That was based on what the weather was doing.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

sikahunter

Hunt or be hunted!!

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Charge him. They are for life threatening emergencies only!!
If you are only going to be a day late then thats fine, everyone will get over it. I heard a similar story in fiordland where some turkey was to tired to walk out so packed his gear then set off the beacon and waited for a chopper ride out!

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Charge him!
Heard of a family on the Milford track who set the Beacon off at night. Pilots couldn't get to the site so the had to land half km up track and walk down. Family decided they couldn't cross river and didn't know what to do. Despite having tents!! Wtf!!!!
They got told to stay the night and walk out the next day the way they came in. They were not far from the start either!! Muppets!

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Yip,he should pay.Chopper rides are starting to get pricey at $10,000 for a couple of hours of flying?

IP Logged

dtchch
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
fletty wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:10pm:
Yip,he should pay.Chopper rides are starting to get pricey at $10,000 for a couple of hours of flying?

plus equipment & trained people

Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua
Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
some mothers do have them Grin Grin

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

bush ninja

Ditch the Bitch, Lets
Go Hunting

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
what a knob, two years ago i took my missus hunting up mavora and she slipped down a bank and broke her ankle. we had they same debate up on the mountain about weatha she could make it back or risk calling out the chopper when someone could of fallen off a bluff somewhere and be in critical condition who will need it more, in the end we limped for three hours back to the truck. i will only use mine if im dying or worse(haha).
but yea its a hard one like the others said not enough info!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards