Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Not 1 of us I hope (Read 5871 times)
Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Re: Not 1 of us I hope
Reply #30 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Don't think SAR would be impressed if you sat in the bush with a broken leg, unable to tramp, and didn't use your PLB, because it wasn't life threatening

They'd be out looking if your overdue

IP Logged

DavidC

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
f**k this I am Muhammad I am hard Bruce Lee bull shit. I pay enuf taxes to buy a helicopter  ...  If I do an ankle or knee and maybe am putting my self in risk (and my families future) then I am going to be pushing the button pronto.

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I only know marine SAR (Coastguard) but I know it fairly well.
I would rather be called out for a guy who thinks he is in trouble than he wait so long he cannot call for help.

Having said that, I would never call a chopper if I was running late, if I had food etc (had planned properly)

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #33 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Silly mistakes happen when people panic, how many fools risk their lives in cars when late for a meeting?  Not making excuses here just putting it in perspective, some mothers do have em!

Some try to cross rivers they should not, some try to climb down bluffs they should not, some continue on into weather they should not, some push buttons they should not.

Three out of those four may kill you, pushing a button will not.  Yes he was a dick and made a mistake, mistakes happen.

I will grudgingly accept the odd dickhead at least they are not hard to find unlike the outcomes from the other three.

A 67 year old "expert" he not an expert anymore is he?  at least we know where he is  Grin

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Chris Dore
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #34 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
DavidC wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:04pm:
f*ck this I am Muhammad I am hard Bruce Lee bull shit. I pay enuf taxes to buy a helicopter  ...  If I do an ankle or knee and maybe am putting my self in risk (and my families future) then I am going to be pushing the button pronto.

Well of course...

Chris Dore
Queenstown, NZ

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #35 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
DavidC wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:04pm:
f*ck this I am Muhammad I am hard Bruce Lee bull shit. I pay enuf taxes to buy a helicopter  ...  If I do an ankle or knee and maybe am putting my self in risk (and my families future) then I am going to be pushing the button pronto.

No one disputes your right to do that. Any life threatening situation warrants pushing the button. Its a matter of judgement and everyone in the SAR business is aware that judgement it like a rubber band. Depending on weather  , distance , severity of pain, length of day , and whether one shoe lace is longer than the other , the severity of the situation will change on a case by case basis. No one is unreasonable in this game , and to err on the side of caution  is always a reasonable option.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

UncleWog
Just Joined

Reply #36 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Ok so what you need to add to this thread is that, this was $10,000 of nz tax payers money! TAX PAYERS

IP Logged

DavidC

Reply #37 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Just heard this on the radio news, they still dont know if they are going to charge him for the "rescue"

I hope they charge him the $10K and criminal charges too.

IP Logged

ramjet24
Forum Senior

Reply #38 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:18am
Print Post  
I would have been late because I don't have one to set off. If I had broken my leg I would have had to use my 'third' leg.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards