Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Real Test (Read 4988 times)
Victor

Deer are where you (can't)
find them

The Real Test
Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Another yarn. Feedback welcomed.

>>

My significant other, eldest of three, is bright, fair and loyal. A couple of years ago I knew it was time to take the next step – to meet her parents. I stayed at their house for a couple of nights, and I guess it must’ve gone alright. Her father, Fos, suggested that a hunt was in order – a test, of sorts.

“We’ll head up the Kirkliston Range,” he said, and added, “It’ll be a fair hike up the hill.”

No worries, I thought. This old fart just turned fifty – should be no problem keeping up with him. I knew I could impress him with my marksmanship, too, as I had shot dozens of rabbits with a .22 and I was a crack shot. Of course!

After a night at the Kurow Hotel we drove to the farm access, slung the pack and rifle and headed for the hills. It wasn’t long before we found a few wallabies bounding through the scrubby guts. Fos offered me first shot at a fat hopper not a hundred yards away. “This is my chance,” I thought to myself. I squeezed off the easy shot from my .308.

“Miss,” I heard from behind me. Maybe I needed a little shooting practice after all.

We carried on over the ridge and down into the hut. I tried to hide my relief when we sat down for a cuppa. I was exhausted, and Fos didn’t even break a sweat! This test was not going well. But I was determined, and I suggested we head down a nearby gully for the afternoon.

A red-brown spot in the corner of my eye caught my attention. A young chamois buck had materialised below us, and was now in high alert. We slowly ducked behind a large Spaniard and devised a plan – Fos, having already demonstrated superior shooting ability, would sneak around the other side of a spur and I’d give hand signals to direct him closer in for a shot.

Long minutes went by as Fos closed the gap. The buck perceived no danger, and went back to grazing. Unfortunately, he ambled back around the invisible side of the spur. Soon after, Fos came into view. I tried my best to indicate the direction the buck had gone. A tense game of cat and mouse was unfolding in front of me. The hunter slipped back out of sight. More long minutes passed, then finally – BANG! BANG!

This was my cue to come down and check out the action. I found Fos and learnt that he and the unwary chamois had almost collided. This sent the animal into a sprint, and a couple of off-hand running shots were taken. We took rest on a flat rock bench above a bluff. Glassing, we could see that the chamois had finally come to rest a few hundred yards away. It was a rush of excitement, followed by relief – we got him!

The whole ordeal must have been a bit much for old Fos, ‘cause he rolled to his side, forgetting we were on a bluff. He was barely clinging on when I reached down and hoisted him back to safety. Shakily, he thanked me and said, “You saved my life! I guess I owe you my firstborn.”

I’ll take that as a test pass, Fos  Wink

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Re: The Real Test
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
HAHAHHAHA Classic!

Just started seeing this girl a few years ago. Awesome chick. Anyway, at the local aeroclub it was a priest and prostitute party. and It was decided I would go...well as a prostitute. Her and her mate did me up pretty well actually.
And as we were leaving THATS when I met her dad for the first time....He never really spoke to me much for the next two years hahaha  Grin

IP Logged

Victor

Deer are where you (can't)
find them

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Hah! That's brilliant! A proud sense of humour can definitely be amiss for first impressions!

IP Logged

Hughesy
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Grin Grin

IP Logged

timandtalon
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I had just bought my first large motorbike (1000cc cruiser) when I met my partners parents for the "first" time. I found out after they told her "Either he goes or the bike goes".

It took me just 6 weeks to get the mother in law on a motorbike (actually a FA50 but it counts- sort of) and she rode it for many years. She was doing 40km per day mail run on a push bike. Not after I met her........Sold her the first one myself...! dating 3 years, married 20 to the same lady and I still have the SAME motorbike and I still ride it!!!!!!!! Still have the same in laws too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards