Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Hunters' Silence (Read 5042 times)
Victor

Deer are where you (can't)
find them

The Hunters' Silence
Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Thought I'd try my hand at some writing. Criticism welcomed.

>>

“There’s a few poking around,” he murmured. “Good spot for the roar.”

Blimmin useful information, I thought. I opted for a less direct method, nodding towards of a mounted set of antlers. “Is that twelve pointer from around here? It’s a beaut!”

“Yeap. Got that one a few years back now.”

“Did you need to walk far into the bush to find him?” I probed further.

“Oh, I can’t remember exactly where I got it. Just look for the broadleaf, you’ll be right,” came the reply. Simple. Just look for the broadleaf trees and the deer will obligingly jump in front of your stray bullets. “That’s about all I can tell you, fella. Yeah, sorry about that,” the old hunter quite thoroughly explained.

That was when I was a spring chicken. I was naive and I’d wrongly assumed he’d tell me where to find his quarry, his spiritual ground and his food source. I’ve learnt a lot since then. I’m not claiming to know a heck of a lot more about hunting now than I did that day, but I know a shedload more about hard work.

I grew up in town. We lived in a three bedroom home just ten minutes’ walk to the CBD. After school I’d head to the river, push myself around on a skateboard and play Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation. My old man didn’t hunt and I was only interested in the outdoors as much as the next city slicker. I’d first learnt stock from barrel when I was eighteen years old. That was when my dad decided to up and leave town for a modest block of land in the Nelson Lakes area. I shot rabbits with my grandfather’s Remington .22, and loved it! All unbridled addictions start small.

I soon grew thirsty for a real challenge. I tagged along on a pig hunt, and travelled to Kurow for some wallabies. I was lucky to have a couple of good buggers around me who could show me the ropes. But I knew what I really wanted – my first deer!

It was a year and a half before I got that deer. Eighteen months of bashing through scrub, walking up beech ridges, prying information from tight-lipped hunter bastards. Most of them said the same thing. I learnt how to read between the lines, and how to ask the right questions. I learnt that doing a bit of research before asking shows that you’re keen to do the work required, and it goes a long way. I learnt the hard and slow way, but I was rewarded eventually with a tasty fallow pricket. It was mine, right from the planning, through the stalk and back to the table.

I’ve always told myself that I was not to be one of those cagey hunter bastards, that I’d help the young and keen and point them in the right direction for a good chance at game. I’m still relatively fresh and I remember exactly what it was like. It’s tough coming from a non-hunting background – who do you talk to, and what do you ask? Are you walking too fast or too slow, and do you have the right gear? Most of all, are you ever going to see deer in the spot you hunt?

So recently when a young fella approached me asking for a bit of hunting advice, I knew exactly what to say.

“Just look for the broadleaf.”

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The Hunters' Silence
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Cool exactly as it should be. enjoyed that.

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Haa haaa..ya bastard!! GrinExcellant post..cheers! Cool

IP Logged

paora
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Hah, nice one, written well mate

Make it happen!

IP Logged

raydafish
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
enjoyed that
cheers

IP Logged

2tintin

Tramping with a gun

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Nice read,
cheers
Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 8:18am
Print Post  
keep right on writing
Grin Grin Grin

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Entertaining read Victor.
Nicely done--Keep it up.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Very good Victor,enjoyed that  Cool

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Cool

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Kaweka_Neil
Donor Member

If it's outdoors, it's
all good!

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Good read Victor.

The first deer is always the hardest!  It get's easier after you've nailed the first.  Bit like fishing.  When I was young I saved my money and bought a new rod.  Took me ages to catch the first fish with it, but after that they came thick and fast..!!

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I like your style Victor. Nice one.
And yes, there's often very strong reasons for a hunter to stay silent.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2013 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Good little tip  there Victor, that you passed on.  Smiley At least you never told him " look where the spring grass is growing, at 2am, on a windless morning.... with a good spotlight."  Cheesy Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

toyota
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2013 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Victor wrote on Jan 25th, 2013 at 4:14am:
Thought I'd try my hand at some writing. Criticism welcomed.

>>

“There’s a few poking around,” he murmured. “Good spot for the roar.”

Blimmin useful information, I thought. I opted for a less direct method, nodding towards of a mounted set of antlers. “Is that twelve pointer from around here? It’s a beaut!”

“Yeap. Got that one a few years back now.”

“Did you need to walk far into the bush to find him?” I probed further.

“Oh, I can’t remember exactly where I got it. Just look for the broadleaf, you’ll be right,” came the reply. Simple. Just look for the broadleaf trees and the deer will obligingly jump in front of your stray bullets. “That’s about all I can tell you, fella. Yeah, sorry about that,” the old hunter quite thoroughly explained.

That was when I was a spring chicken. I was naive and I’d wrongly assumed he’d tell me where to find his quarry, his spiritual ground and his food source. I’ve learnt a lot since then. I’m not claiming to know a heck of a lot more about hunting now than I did that day, but I know a shedload more about hard work.

I grew up in town. We lived in a three bedroom home just ten minutes’ walk to the CBD. After school I’d head to the river, push myself around on a skateboard and play Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation. My old man didn’t hunt and I was only interested in the outdoors as much as the next city slicker. I’d first learnt stock from barrel when I was eighteen years old. That was when my dad decided to up and leave town for a modest block of land in the Nelson Lakes area. I shot rabbits with my grandfather’s Remington .22, and loved it! All unbridled addictions start small.

I soon grew thirsty for a real challenge. I tagged along on a pig hunt, and travelled to Kurow for some wallabies. I was lucky to have a couple of good buggers around me who could show me the ropes. But I knew what I really wanted – my first deer!

It was a year and a half before I got that deer. Eighteen months of bashing through scrub, walking up beech ridges, prying information from tight-lipped hunter bastards. Most of them said the same thing. I learnt how to read between the lines, and how to ask the right questions. I learnt that doing a bit of research before asking shows that you’re keen to do the work required, and it goes a long way. I learnt the hard and slow way, but I was rewarded eventually with a tasty fallow pricket. It was mine, right from the planning, through the stalk and back to the table.

I’ve always told myself that I was not to be one of those cagey hunter bastards, that I’d help the young and keen and point them in the right direction for a good chance at game. I’m still relatively fresh and I remember exactly what it was like. It’s tough coming from a non-hunting background – who do you talk to, and what do you ask? Are you walking too fast or too slow, and do you have the right gear? Most of all, are you ever going to see deer in the spot you hunt?

So recently when a young fella approached me asking for a bit of hunting advice, I knew exactly what to say.

“Just look for the broadleaf.”

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards