Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Notification" button (Read 2723 times)
Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

"Notification" button
Nov 14th, 2012 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Sorry if this has been reported before but the notification button is not working on my machine.

I just get a thin white line on the screen when I click on it but it doesn't do anything.

Has this been reported before?

If anyone wants to look into it I can supply more details (I am a web developer by trade)

IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Re: "Notification" button
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Tell me more about the thin white line on the top of the page - are you referring to PM notification or something else?

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 6:51am
Print Post  
He is talking about clicking on the "Get Notification" button in a thread. It happens when clicking on the "Mark all as read" button on the home page as well. They have been broken for ages and yes it has been previously reported several times.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:02am
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 6:51am:
He is talking about clicking on the "Get Notification" button in a thread. It happens when clicking on the "Mark all as read" button on the home page as well. They have been broken for ages and yes it has been previously reported several times.

Sorry for the delay in replying... yep that was the problem I was talking about.

if it helps at all, the following javascript error gets logged to the console when the button is clicked:

[20:01:38.983] addnotelang is not defined @ http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/ajax.js:203

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Fordy wrote on Nov 14th, 2012 at 10:12pm:
Tell me more about the thin white line on the top of the page - are you referring to PM notification or something else?

I have it too.

When I click on notification, I get a white box with light grey? border bout 3 mil by 40 mm appears center, top screen. It stays in the same place when I scroll up and down. Does not move with the rest of the frame when scrolling.

Id say its a message/text box that is not fully opening.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I would say its an issue with your browser and/or configuration - as it works fine in Firefox 15 - it shows the white box when I click the notification button, then I see a loading animation then  Adding Notification and then the word Complete and then the white box closes.

It works fine in Chrome eww and IE 9 - which browser and version are you seeing the issue (BB don't mention Oprah either) Grin

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Fordy wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:13pm:
I would say its an issue with your browser and/or configuration - as it works fine in Firefox 15 - it shows the white box when I click the notification button, then I see a loading animation then  Adding Notification and then the word Complete and then the white box closes.

It works fine in Chrome eww and IE 9 - which browser and version are you seeing the issue (BB don't mention Oprah either) Grin

I'm using Firefox 16.0.2

I'll try some others later when I get a minute and report back

IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm using Firefox 16.0.2

Yep I rolled back to an earlier version as there are numerous issues with 16 - flash plugin problems, crashing and other bizarre stuff happening.

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Fordy wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:39pm:
Yep I rolled back to an earlier version as there are numerous issues with 16 - flash plugin problems, crashing and other bizarre stuff happening.

I'll have an older one on a test vm will have a look later.

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:01am
Print Post  
I am seeing it in the latest version of Opera 12.1, Firefox 14.0.1 and Internet Explorer 8.0.6001. ALL of them have the issue.

My FF and IE may not be the latest versions but Opera IS standards compliant so webpages that don't work in it usually have some kind of issue.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:42am
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:01am:
I am seeing it in the latest version of Opera 12.1, Firefox 14.0.1 and Internet Explorer 8.0.6001. ALL of them have the issue.

My FF and IE may not be the latest versions but Opera IS standards compliant so webpages that don't work in it usually have some kind of issue.

Yeah especially with it throwing a javascript error I think there is something not right with the site.

Fordy if you click the button with console open does it still throw the JS error? Just wondering if it's a red herring.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Im using Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m and it does not work.  Smiley

It works correctly when I go into a board and do not open a thread.

I get the pop up box asking me if I want notification on any new posts to the board, but if I actually open a thread and click notification, the white line appears..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Fordy if you click the button with console open does it still throw the JS error? Just wondering if it's a red herring.

No warnings thrown - ran it through Firebug still no errors - odd. It works on the browsers I mentioned, from the forum, from the post list and inside the actual post  - velly odd

Oprah is just a laughable browser - worse than Chrome (sorry had to bite)  Grin Grin

Running for cover now....BB

IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Im using Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m and it does not work.

I run the exact same version of chrome for testing purposes and it works fine - see screenshot. So I can't explain why it works in mine and not yours - I don't run any plugins in Chrome, its just the default download setup with no settings touched.

Adding notification -  You can also see I am in the post itself adding a notification.

Notification - complete

So am not sure what is happening.

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Fordy wrote on Nov 16th, 2012 at 9:28pm:
I run the exact same version of chrome for testing purposes and it works fine - see screenshot. So I can't explain why it works in mine and not yours - I don't run any plugins in Chrome, its just the default download setup with no settings touched.

OK how about I give you my username and password and you try and logon on your machine. That way if it still doesn't work we know it's something wrong with my account - if it does work we know it's my machines/browsers/etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards