Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 81
Send Topic Print
Poisoning of Stewart island (Read 40345 times)
Rogers.270
Forum Senior

Lives for the tops

nelson lakes
Poisoning of Stewart island
Oct 31st, 2012 at 3:41pm

PLAN TO RID STEWART ISLAND OF MAMMAL PESTS - Gareth Morgan, a rich and powerful New Zealand businessman, has a dream. He has teamed up with Department of Conservation, and some locals, and is advocating ridding Stewart Island of mammal pests. Click here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register to view this short video about what this dream will mean to the local wildlife, should the eradication programme go ahead.  400 local residents have one week remaining to vote YES or NO on the proposal.

Balls Out

IP Logged

cleaky
Donor Member

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Southland
Re: Poisoning of Stewart island
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 3:50pm

He should stick to talking crap about the economyand messing up peoples kiwisavers and stay the hell out of the environment.  Roll Eyes

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Victor

Deer are where you (can't)
find them

Christchurch
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:05pm

At the risk of showing my ignorance and stirring sh!t, I need to ask - what is the problem that most hunters are concerned about? The culling of a decent herd of whitetail or the inadvertent poisoning of native species? I must say that I'm personally quite happy to give up any hope of shooting a whitetail in SI if the outcome is to have a one-of-a-kind native sanctuary. The hunting sacrifice is worth the biodiversity stability, in my opinion. However, if the problem is purely the method of choice, then I empathise with everyones' concerns.

I'm not trying to undermine anyone here, just want to see what exactly the issue is...  Cheesy

IP Logged

264KMagic
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Geraldine
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:20pm

the issue my dear friend victor is quite wide,,it started with a turkey named smith who abandoned our fair shores and sailed to africa,,Rhodesia to be exact,,and started a program of change,,the rest is history and personally i dont like the way this place is heading ,,i therefore am abandoning the  t.i.a. ship

interesting bit of news this morning that there are heaps of maori in aussie,,apparently more than here,,which leaves us with hone  Shocked Shocked

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:33pm

Victor wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:05pm:
At the risk of showing my ignorance and stirring sh!t, I need to ask - what is the problem that most hunters are concerned about? The culling of a decent herd of whitetail or the inadvertent poisoning of native species? I must say that I'm personally quite happy to give up any hope of shooting a whitetail in SI if the outcome is to have a one-of-a-kind native sanctuary. The hunting sacrifice is worth the biodiversity stability, in my opinion. However, if the problem is purely the method of choice, then I empathise with everyones' concerns.

I'm not trying to undermine anyone here, just want to see what exactly the issue is...  Cheesy

my concern is for everything on the island. the deer are not causing a problem there.
the method, brodi, is a long lasting, very effective indiscriminate killer. its shocking stuff and even doc dislike using it if you believe what they say.
previous island use has resulted in brodi traces showing up in sea life and horrific by kills of native species.
on top of that, it wont work. eradicating anything from anywhere is difficult. from an entire island with lots of visitors? give me a break! Roll Eyes
even the tiny little island sanctuaries with very few visitors are hard to keep pest free.

IP Logged

leathel
Donor Member

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Tuakau, Waikato
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:38pm

Yes wiping out the deer population is part of it, they don't do a lot of harm and have been a source of income for the island for years as well as a resource to those that want to hunt the island

Also a big thing for me is the clean green image we are loosing from mass poisoning of kea, Weka and to a lesser degree a large number of other species, there are other ways to target the cats and rats that don't have long lasting by kills like Brodifacoum has.

I personally think smaller area of targeted heavy pest control and then maintain the area is better than blanket drops

I have been in areas after drops and seen the rotting deer and birds.... It just made me feel sick to the core.

Stuart Island already has great bird life..... what is it going to gain apart from massive by kills

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Victor

find them

Christchurch
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:39pm

264KMagic wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 4:20pm:
i therefore am abandoning the  t.i.a. ship

I didn't mean to stir that sort of "native" debate...  Lips Sealed

Chris - I guess you're right. And there's plenty of other biodiversity tragedies happening in NZ to worry about. SI is probably doing OK, all-in-all.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:21pm

the bird life is incredible by main land standards, especially kiwi, common as chooks! Grin Grin
brodi is just nasty shit from woe to go. i would never support its use!

IP Logged

Malhunting
Forum Font

.300 wsm<br />

Mataura
Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:52pm

Just seems to me that there is to much to loose and nothing to gain, Brodi is a terrible poison to use for this sort of idea and has already shown its devastating affect on everything that comes into contact with it, then there's the time this shit takes to break down, if it does at all.
I honestly don't think there will be a gain in tourism to the island if this plan is even successful in fact if it goes ahead and it does kill most of the islands critters and animals then tourism will decline rapidly especially with hunters.
I hope to go there one day and get a good look at the wild life and kiwis etc and if i get to shoot a Whitetail in the process then that's just a bonus.
SAVE THE ISLAND, SPARE THE POISON!

<div style=

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 5:58pm

have a look on the doc page guys, there's good info on this topic there. at this stage it sounds like its just an idea put forward by gareth morgen Roll Eyes apparently Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Malhunting
Forum Font

.300 wsm<br />

Mataura
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 7:51pm

Sounds like he is pushing the idea fairly hard but and all behind closed doors by the looks. Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 8:13pm

dilettante [ˌdɪlɪˈtɑːntɪ]
n pl -tantes, -tanti [-ˈtɑːntɪ]

1. a person whose interest in a subject is superficial rather than professional
2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a person who loves the arts
adj
(Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) of or characteristic of a dilettante
[from Italian, from dilettare to delight, from Latin dēlectāre]
dilettantish , dilettanteish adj
dilettantism , dilettanteism n

Hmmmm

IP Logged

export dry

stewart island
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 9:07pm

good on ya gareth morgan ,poisoning the hole island mite get rid of half the of the rednecks as well

IP Logged

benelli

Invercargill
Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 9:20pm

Nice one Victor.  Why don't we eradicate all introduced animals, birds and fish in NZ while we are at it.  You might not be interested in hunting Stewart Island but plenty of other people are.

IP Logged

Victor

find them

Christchurch
Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 9:24pm

Easy tiger. I did specify that it was only my opinion and I'm only trying to gauge what others think on the matter.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 10:01pm

Well, there's the thing, isn't it......IF.

I personally have no major issue with 1080 as a pest control mechanism. What I do have an issue with is whether DoC and others will adequately assess whether the objective is realistically achievable or not.

So I have a concern that it will be adopted 'cos it seems a nice idea, it may not work, and then we've all lost.

Just my view, though.

IP Logged

Victor

find them

Christchurch
Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 10:24pm

Max wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 10:01pm:
What I do have an issue with is whether DoC and others will adequately assess whether the objective is realistically achievable or not.

True - it seems like the science would suggest this is a method destined to fail. Given that DoC employs heaps of scientists, you'd expect thorough evidence-based justification for a move like this...

Don't get me wrong, I've tried to stalk whitetail before and I'd absolutely love to again. I just come from a non-hunting background and so have a broad perspective on the matter.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Canterbury
Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 12:59pm

The whitetail are not doing any harm to the enviroment so there is no need to exterminate them. That's my opinion.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Jim46
Just Joined

Dunedin
Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 2:42pm

Note there is also discussion on this under "Rakiura whitetail under threat" and also on the DoC page

IP Logged

Jim46
Just Joined

Dunedin
Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 2:54pm

For an article on the risks of aerial brodifacoum to the marine environment and island ecology visit the website 1080science.co.nz "Brodifacoum and Ulva Island"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 81
Send Topic Print