Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic An Old English Knife (Read 1627 times)
noelfj
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

An Old English Knife
Aug 26th, 2012 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I read the article on knife making on this forum and decided to have ago at restoring one.

And also to see if the photobucket service would work.
Next will be a progress report

IP Logged

Swodem
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Re: An Old English Knife
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to this!!

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I am at a disadvantage without a camera, of any useful sort, so pictures will require requiting someone to take and then email them to me for inclusion.
This knife has a blade thickness of about 3/16" a blade depth of about 1". The blade is 5.5" long and the hilt is 5" long.
You can just see the parallel tang, a good 1/2" wide and the bit of broken thread.
It is marked "Johnson Western Works" "Sheffield" on one side and "handforged" on the other.
The blade tapers from the back to the edge without any sign of being hollow ground, a large shoulder is present in the photo and that has since been removed.
The blade varies in hardness, being softer in general towards the hilt, (or quillon "quill-yun" or "key-own") and towards the back.
Hardness in the soft area is "just fillable" and in the hard area almost unfileable, stone work mostly.
Its hard to see in my photo but there are red mica, steel, black mica washers at both ends.
I obtained some very solid leather offcuts from the local saddle shop, then marked out the leather pieces to be cut into washers, I made up a couple of special chisels to cut the rectangular slots and the profile of each washer.
The blade was and still is quite pitted, no attempt has been made to remove all of these, apart from the shoulder removal, and the cleaning up of the edge.
Currently it is not very sharp, about kitchen knife level only.
At the rear end the broken thread bit had to be fixed, to do this I cut a 5mm wide slot up the centre of the tang about 20mm long and soldered in a standard 5mm bolt, about 20mm of solder connection and 20mm of available thread.
Our network provided me with a lot of ideas and I have been following the knife making thread with interest, to wit, I have decided to fit a brass quillon, level with the back of the knife and protruding some 12mm down on the sharp side, it also has a 1/2" by 3/16" slot, made from an old brass tap I had hanging around, its about 2mm thick. This is soldered on the tang hard against the tang shoulder.
Then I took a lump of 12mm thick aluminium flat, cut a slot to fit the tang and super-glued that behind the quillon.
So now we have a quillon backed up with and aluminium bolster

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:13am
Print Post  

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Shit just a wee change there

That is a lot like my first good knife...lost if for a year or so back when I was 14 but found it again looking not much better than the top pic....held its edge well and was a great we knife

but then I lost it again Cry

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I then reclaimed the mica and steel washers added the new leather washers and proceeded to file and sand to shape.
When this was done,(and its still not quite to size) I made up the Rear bolster with a slight pommel on the bottom side, this is held on with the 5 mm thread, a blind thread and not visable, then the whole thing was ploshed with a bit of old sheet and "Silvo" a liquid silver polish for household silver.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
This is my first attempt to use the computer camera, after a year or so of trying to get it to work, even find the damm thing, I did it more or less by accident playing with Facebook.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Great little retro renovation job.  Smiley oh! don't lose it.  Grin

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
What an effort... and now you have the photos sorted you can post some hunting stories  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards