Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll closed Question: which would you prefer Ruger MINI's vs CZ 527's
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

MINI 30    
  17 (22.4%)
MINI 14    
  5 (6.6%)
CZ 527 .223    
  39 (51.3%)
CZ 527 7.62X39    
  15 (19.7%)

Total votes: 76
« Created by: Matt P.Nth on: Aug 18th, 2012 at 12:05pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic which would you prefer Ruger MINI's vs CZ 527's (Read 1896 times)
Matt P.Nth

RNZIR

which would you prefer Ruger MINI's vs CZ 527's
Aug 18th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
looking at getting one of the above rifles, was wondering what others here on the forum would do if they were in my shoes

pretty much the rifle would be set up as a bush rifle with either a red dot or a 1-5x power scope, no shots would be taken over 150m, target species for this rifle would be mainly reds, goats and fallow in around the lower NI  , both rifles fit me nice as well

been thinking about it for a while i think i just need a push in the right direction oh one last thing i use the safety catch when off the trail's so not concerned about half bolt

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Re: which would you prefer Ruger MINI's vs CZ 527's
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
they are very different options matt. makes it a bit hard to compare and choose imo as they are all good firearms but very different things.

IP Logged

P38
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hard choice

The Mini 14 is excelent for pest control especially on goats might be a bit light for a red at 150m though that where the Mini 30 would come into it's own.

However I love the CZ's especially in .223, This got my vote just get closer when stalking the reds and you'll do ok.

I'd go with the 1-5 scope, and save for a .308 to take care of them reds.

Cheers
Pete

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 12:36am
Print Post  
buy my mini 30 and you are set up to go!!!

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 1:18am
Print Post  
i voted for the 7.62,,at some stage when you get the urge to go longer it allows you to be able to convert to a 6.5 grendel,,good out to 500 yrds

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Bill999
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
i picked the 7.62 version of the cz, I allready have a 223 one and there is no point having two Grin
the 223 ones are great. the feel more like a 22lr

IP Logged

rambo-6mmRem
Forum Font

6mm remington with 100gn
corelokt yum

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
if i had to buy one of them it would be the 527 in 223 or 7.62 depending on wat i wanted it for

to be honest i wouldn't buy any of the above but thats just me

if you go to bed with an itchy bottom you'll wake up with smelly finger

IP Logged

Carbine

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 5:55am
Print Post  
ruger compact in 223 or 7.62x39 over the cz as single stack mags are a pain in the ass as the carry point is the magazine sticking out the bottom.

IP Logged

tikka

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 6:56am
Print Post  
My pick would be "I don't like rust" Mini 30 stainless steel with a AimPoint red dot sight for bush hunting, rapid follow up shots on goats.

IP Logged

dirtpig67

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I have a 527 in 7.62x39.  Awesome little rifle and crazy accurate.  I am getting 1 MOA accuracy from Barnaul ammo.  I put a small 1.5x4.5 scope on it and it suits me perfect.  Small, compact, and lightweight package.

The only complaint I have is the magazine.  I would have much preferred an internal on over a detachable.

One of the most interesting features of the 527 is that it has a set trigger if you choose to use it.

IP Logged

Jersey

Touch Heaven ..........
Kiss a Pilot!

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Voted for the 527 in .223
I'm sooooo tempted to get a CZ Ebony Edition!  Cheesy Wink Grin

IP Logged

Matt P.Nth

RNZIR

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
seems the CZ are really pulling ahead, for those that have voted for CZ would you be alright taking it bush bashing and scratching up the stock?

also in your opinion whats the deciding factor, the action or the accuracy?

lastly if you were to be using a 223 in either rifle and stumbled on a red what range would be your max? as i'm guessing neck shot would be the only viable option

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

IP Logged

dirtpig67

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Its a rifle so its going to get dinged up if you use it just like any other.  It will still drop deer just as good.  It is a very smart looking rifle new though.

My deciding factor was on mine in 7.62x39 was a number of things.  I really like the short action on it which is sized for the smaller cartridges rather than a smaller cartridge just chambered in a rifle designed for a larger one.  Since accuracy from most bolt rifles from the major companies is pretty good this really was not a huge factor so your are likely going to get it regardless of who you buy from and the accuracy from the CZ is very good.  Can't really say the same for semi's although. The mini's seem to get good reviews but in general a bolt gun is going to be more accurate but people have got good results from the mini's.  The compact size was a big sell for me.  These rifles are made for the bush.  You really can't apprieciate how compact the carbine 527 is until you handle one.  The other features which were nice to have but not really deciding factors was the set-trigger and the fixed sights.  The fixed sights are good enough to hunt with and at some point I will bag a deer or two using them.

In my opinion if you are using the rifle in the bush, there is really no point to go with the .223 which only real advantages over the 7.62x39 are flatter shooting out past 200m (not an issue in the bush) and a wider selection of projectiles if you reload.  It will offer a bit less recoil but the 7.62 is pretty mild anyways.  I guess if you want to use the rifle on rabbits or other smaller game as well the .223 would be better.

Minor complaints with the 527.  The way the bolt is designed it is necessary to use the high scope mounts that came with the rifle or the bolt hits the scope when you cycle it.  They are the CZ brand mounts and are very nice steel ones.  That and you can't use a scope with an eye piece over about 41mm in diameter.  Like someone else mentioned the magazine is located at the balance point you would carry the rifle one-handed.  Both of these are minor to me but might not be for others.

I typically reload, but after running the numbers it did not make sense to do so for this caliber for as much as I shoot.  Loaded ammo selection is a bit limited compared to the .223.  You can get Barnaul ammo cheap which is surprisingly very accurate - like 1 MOA accurate out of this rifle.  I use it at the range and have been hunting with the Hornady SST load which has been pretty effective:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=HO8078&src=s...

I have read people have hunted with the Barnaul SP loads with good results but I have not tried them yet.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Matt P.Nth wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:23pm:
seems the CZ are really pulling ahead, for those that have voted for CZ would you be alright taking it bush bashing and scratching up the stock?

also in your opinion whats the deciding factor, the action or the accuracy?

lastly if you were to be using a 223 in either rifle and stumbled on a red what range would be your max? as i'm guessing neck shot would be the only viable option

lung shots are no problem at sensible range with a .223

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2018 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Hmmm...I like the .223 but it seems like a lot of gun for rabbits, especially if you plan to eat them. For goats and fallows , it should work. What are the ammo costs. Like?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards