Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) How To Build Your Own Biv/Hut (Read 14890 times)
Sikakila
Donor Member

'Every day above ground..is
a good day!

How To Build Your Own Biv/Hut
Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Over the last 12 months I have been asked several times for tips and tricks on bivvy building from forum members,the latest PM suggested a how-to,step by step thread...so here goes!
Please note I am NOT a builder,nor do I have the qualifications (on paper)to be one!
For this exercise we will presume your biv will be built on PRIVATE land Roll Eyes I do not want to enter into a debate about the legalities of said structures,permits Roll Eyes or the ethics...so if you want to discuss any of the above..please find another thread! Smiley
Anyone with positive tips/comments please feel free to contribute !

Step 1
Firstly a few things to seriously consider before ripping into it,ask yourself the following:
Why do I want to have a biv ?
Will I get the use out of it?
Am I prepared to build and maintain a biv?
Do I have a backup plan if I cant maintain it ?
Do I have the funds for an ongoing project like this?
Can I commit the time needed?
Am I prepared to clean up/carry out the rubbish if the whole thing ends up on the deck?

Please consider the above carefully before committing to a project like this,there is too much rubbish scattered around our countryside already Smiley

Step 2...The Building Plan..

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Re: How To Build Your Own Biv/Hut
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Awaiting step 2 eagerly. Wink

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

a good day!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Step 2  The Plan

Ok so providing you have answered 'yes' in Step 1, The next move is to get your building plan on paper,including all measurements.Also leave room for 'Tools Needed' and 'Materials Required'.
Consider How many bunks you want.
Do I want a porch (yes..for wet gear)!
What size do i need.
Fireplace,or potbelly,or outside fire?

For this excersize we will say it's a 2 hour walk to the biv site Roll EyesThis is why all materials and tools needed are written down and ticked off the list,nothing worse than getting into camp and no-ones got the hammer! Embarrassed (We will cover Materials and Tools required later)
Your plan does not need to be flash,as long as you have all the vital measurements and can understand it..all good Grin
Here's the general idea..

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Coollooking forward to following this!

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

a good day!

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Tips:
Take a few moments to consider the layout of your structure,consult with 1 or 2 of your 'trusted buddies'(thats the blokes that are going to help you carry and build ,cos it's a bitch trying to build one on your own)
Your design may change if you have a tight build area,I find the above plan works great for a few reasons,No centre pole is required (takes up inside space)
Bunks are on the back wall in the 'dry' area,The 'wet' area being around the door..soggy boots and swannis etc.
Note the sides on this one are 1800 high(close to 6 foot),the reason for this is so you can utilize the space around the inside edge without smacking your head on the roof Grin
If you can touch the centre beam on tip-toes then thats about the right height,this gives a good pitch to the roof.
Why not a flat roof?
Flat roofs are easier to build,unfortunatly not a good idea,they hold sticks and leaves,water pools on top and the weight added to the structure is incredible. Go with a pitch-roof if you want it to last,debri,rain and snow will slide right off.We have found the above design to be the most 'user friendly'.Last thing you want is to be stepping/tripping over ya mates because of a poorly designed biv Smiley
Space for a rifle-rack..keep them safe from falling over Roll Eyes Lips Sealed

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:46am
Print Post  
like the head height. im 6ft 4 and one hut i regularly stay in has about 5ft6 high beams supporting the roof around the edges.THUMP!! OUCH!!!!! Angry Roll Eyes
also like the ample bench space. great when several people have enough room to work as it makes cooking a feed so much easier when several are involved. sucks when there one tiny bench that only one person can work at.

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

a good day!

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Spot-on Chris.I reckon if you are going to build one..then do it right from the start.We have build a few different designs..some not so user friendly Roll Eyes
Note: With 3 'switched-on' mates you can whack this structure up in a day,early morning start-and sleep in it that night!No more cold hard nights on the ground Roll Eyes The young fellas will not understand..wait till they get to 50+ and they will appreciate it GrinThere is something to be said when it's freezing cold, pissing down outside and you are tucked in a warm bag on 4 inches of foam mattress Tongue

Next Step: Gathering Materials..

IP Logged

Digit
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
A website that I found useful
http://www.small-cabin.com/
Also has a forum where you can see other projects.

Industry Antagonist
IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:16am
Print Post  
cant remember where it was now but i once stayed in a hut that had rifle racks under the top bunk. was a great place to have them safe and out of the way without taking up any space.

IP Logged

Sikakila
Donor Member

a good day!

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Step 3: Materials & Tools

Because you are building '2 hours walk at the back of ya mates private land' Roll Eyes the cladding will be builders polythene(the thickest one you can get). The thin stuff,while cheaper will not last and you will gets sticks and tree debri punching holes in it. Work out your biv measurements for cover and add another 500mm to the cut size,you will want to bury about 200mm in the ground around the edges. Polythene tape for joining and edges..needs to be applied clean and dry,and will stick like shit to a blanket SmileyMore on this later.
Have a think about what tools you will need,I work through the whole project in my head,step by step ,then write down on the plan the tool required. A chainsaw saves a lot of time..get your buddy to carry that. And all the heavy stuff for that matter Lips Sealed
You will see in the pic below some 'grippies' those spikey things used for securing polythene to wood,awesome little gadgets-you will need a box of them.
Tin-snips and strip-braceing,wicked for all joints,just clout them on.
A 4 inch foam mattress rolled up tight with a 20 litre bucket jammed on each end and strapped to the outside of your pack is a good way to get YOUR bed in..and you also have a couple of buckets for seats and gear Smiley
So all the usual stuff,2 x hammers,saws,shovel/spade , a string-line is a must.Tape measure,plenty of nails and clouts,staples are good too. Fencing wire and 4 of those cheap ratchet tie-downs,great for bracing your structure,when finished just leave them in place.You will also need clear polythene,the more light the better.I usually do black on the roof and as much clear on the sides as possible.Consider carrying in some joinable lenghts of 2x2 or suchlike for the door and frame,or kitset one first (the more rodent-proof your biv is the better)

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 8:46am:
like the head height. im 6ft 4 and one hut i regularly stay in has about 5ft6 high beams supporting the roof around the edges.THUMP!! OUCH!!!!! Angry Roll Eyes

You are too tall to be a hunter. Take up basketball or gib stopping. Smiley

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin fym! i can see over top of the scrubs Tongue

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Shame there's no deer in the top of the scrub. Look lower. Smiley

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
if i look to low i will only see filthy pig hunters crawling about with their pitbulls, or aunties bottom, both are as bad as each other Smiley

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:54pm:
pitbulls, or aunties bottom, both are as bad as each other Smiley

I will take your word for that. You probably don't want to put your hand near either of them though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards