Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tikka M55 (Read 3551 times)
Nicho270

Christchurch
Tikka M55
Jun 13th, 2012 at 5:15pm

I am trying to find some information on a Tikka M55 rifle that I purchased. 

.223, with Serial 550-159***.

1.)Year of manufacture,
2.)The unusual stock, is it a delux? Looks like a rosewood and walnut? With a white band separating the different wood.

Anyone with information on these rifles, I would appreciate a push in the right direction to find the information

Photos to follow.

“The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.”  Ernest Hemingway

IP Logged

JWB

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Tikka M55
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:09pm

Link to Tikka site where you can download information on your rifle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Nicho270

Christchurch
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:18pm

Thanks JWB.
What i am after is the age of te rifle. Any ideas?
Nich

“The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.”  Ernest Hemingway

IP Logged

BC
Forum Font

Wellington
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:42pm

I used to work in a sports shop after school (Tisdalls). I recall them then, and I know they were in the shops for a few years after that. Counting back, I would think your rifle was made around 1967 (ish).

The M55 is a beautiful rifle.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Te Awamutu
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:55pm

Looking forward to the pics. I have one but I it is a different stock to what I have seen on a few others.

This was her after TJ had worked hi magic on it

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

mick hunter  
IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

Taupo Zealandiana
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:56pm

Thats a good really good one.

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

gunna
Just Joined

whakatane
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 9:05am

nice rifle the m55
they were sold in america under the brand ithaca and also seen some called stirling finlander.

very smooth action and accurate with bofors steel barrels and are equal to the sakos of the same period.

made from about 1965 till 1989 when the company was taken over by sako.

think they had a round forend till 1980ish then went to a more angled cut forend if that helps.
and the deluxe had the rosewood forend and pistol grip cap.

IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

Taupo Zealandiana
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 9:09am

Cut barrel too. Class.

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Forum Font

Waikato
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:33am

I had an LSA-55 in 22/250 for about 30 years.  Incredibly accurate. I eventually burnt out the lead after several thousand rounds.  I traded it on a Sako 75 regretting it ever since.
Purchased around 1970.
Mine had slightly different wood to the photo, same fore-end but no rosewood spacer. (Had the angled fore-end in 1970.)
It was branded Stirling Finlander which I think was for the Australian market (were popular there) but the recoil pad was branded Ithaca (I guess as part of Tikka and Sako trying to get partnerships into the American market).  I still have the serial number recorded somewhere.  I will locate it and compare it to yours.  The Achilles heal of them now is the detachable mag - DON'T LOOSE IT. I wish I wish I wish I had never parted with it.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Forum Font

Waikato
Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 10:44am

Found my old info - purchased mine new for $155 in June 74.  Sold in 2004 for $300 with poked barrel (gave it away should have rebarreled.. Seen them on TM some time ago for much more than I gave mine away for).  Serial number was 550 120043 so predates yours. $155 at the time was reasonably expensive.  When I bought it I traded an Anschutz 222 for it.  The parting with the Anschutz was another of my life's great regrets now.  Beautiful gun built on Krico action.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012 at 3:58pm by 6.5x55bjai »  

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Te Awamutu
Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:03am

The different wood on the end of mine is not original. When I got mine the fore end had been shortned for some reason and TJ added the wood to the end to take it back to what looked like the normal stock length.
The barrel on mine was also fluted which when I asked around looks like it was done after market.

Nicho270 have you got pictures of your one yet?

mick hunter  
IP Logged

NIMROD
Forum Font

Made in New Zealand

Hastings
Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:47am

mick hunter wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:03am:
The barrel on mine was also fluted which when I asked around looks like it was done after market.

Tikka made a 20 inch fluted barrel model M55 called a "Trapper" which was slightly lighter than the standard model.
Rare as rocking horse shit......if you can find one at all........people don't seem to part with them.

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Jakewire
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:19am

Here's mine
M55, 308, Hilver rings and Bushnell Elite 4200.
very accurate rifle
Sick of saying this but "wish I han't sold it" .

Quis Custodiet Ipos Custodes

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Forum Font

Waikato
Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:37am

Jakewire - yours is the same stock as mine (well what was mine...).  I also had a Hilver mount but it was the bridge type which I eventually replaced with PH rings.  I think Tikkas of that era were popular in Aus as the Hilver bridge mount was specifically made by Hilver for that model.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2012 at 3:46pm by 6.5x55bjai »  

IP Logged

Jakewire
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:45pm

Yes they seemed to be popular in Aussie, you still get them coming up here occasionally
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, investigated the price of shipping one they said was unmarked  in 22 250 to NZ but the cost was alittle steep buy thetime it got here, 1500 or near to, looked mint though
Bought mine less mounts and the other 11rds of the original box of ammo  for 800

Quis Custodiet Ipos Custodes

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Dampier West Aus / Onepoto NZ
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 12:52pm

early 70's I have a LSA 55 and a LSA 65

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Nicho270

Christchurch
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:36pm

Ok finally here are some photos.  I needed to retrain myself on how to post images.

So any info on the stock, if this means it is a delux then great.  But any info would be great.

Also I can not find a serail number register for tikka M55 on line.  If anyone knows...

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Forum Font

Waikato
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:08pm

No iron sights or evidence that there were any?  Barrel markings?  Is this the original barrel?

IP Logged

NIMROD
Forum Font

Made in New Zealand

Hastings
Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Nicho270 wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:36pm:
So any info on the stock, if this means it is a delux then great.  But any info would be great.

Yep....that's the Delux model  Smiley

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Norwegianwoods
Forum Font

Norway
Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 9:32am

Nicho270 wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:36pm:
Ok finally here are some photos.  I needed to retrain myself on how to post images.

Also I can not find a serail number register for tikka M55 on line.  If anyone knows...

Is that a single or double stack magazine?
It looks like a double stack. If so, then it is a M65.
The gun looks like a M65 to me, but I might be wrong Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print