Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) First Aid Kit (Read 23797 times)
Nik

I'm a Trad Bow Man

Re: First Aid Kit
Reply #30 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Ethos,

First of all may I commend you on a great post and the response it has had from others.

I completely agree with you 100% on the stuff that you carry.

Even though we don't encounter any pigs over here in the UK, our coursing dogs often run into a barbed wire fencing and get horrible tears across the front of there chests.

I lost a dog after it coursed a hare in to the front of my 4x4 and there was very little I could do to save it.

I carry QuikClot gauze with me at all times. 

These are designed to absorb all the water from blood  and leave healthy, viable tissue ready to repair once at a better medical facility.

I have attached a training video of a pig having its femoral arteries slashed in two places, simulating massive trauma.  It can be seen how effective it can be and would possibly save a dog from dying whilst your driving out of the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjJ0SuElqa8

I no longer use granules and only use the gauze version as it easier to manage, apply, remove and less thermogenic.

I'm a betadine user rather than chlorhex as its easier to see that I have covered the wound area better. Plus I get it on tap  Wink

Wishing you well,

Regards,

Nik

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind" - Fred Bear

45lb Bear Super Kodiak Recurve
65lb Timber Creek Cottonmouth Longbow

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards