Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anchor chain length? (Read 1562 times)
Bullseye
Donor Member

Gods creatures taste bludy
gud in bread

Tauranga
Anchor chain length?
May 7th, 2012 at 8:18pm

What is your general thinking on the length of chain versus the length of boat?
I've always used about 2 or 3mtrs of decent weight chain no matter what size the boat but some dude tried telling me today that you should use one and a half the length of the boat which I personally think is a bit excessive!

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Parau
Re: Anchor chain length?
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 8:27pm

listen to him Smiley

Best headstone message ever - Spike Milligans - " Told you I was sick "
IP Logged

STI
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Nelson
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:02pm

Yep, sounds about right too me, I use 2 x boat length, 13m in my case

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

Training for SAS Selection

Whangarei
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:24pm

Depends where you are and what you use the boat for and (to some degree) what you want the anchor chain to do.  It is your ultimate piece of safety gear so you don't want to be dragging or (worse) leaving your anchor behind as you go ashore or toward S America at a rate of knots.

Lotsa chain (say 10m) has the advantage that you won't saw through your anchor warp in heavy foul (seen it happen!). It can be fairly light if there is 10M of it and still perform the function of keeping a catenary in your warp and making sure the stock of your anchor stays at a shallow angle to the bottom.  There is no issue about strength.  I have 10m of 1/4" chain on my dory, cos I often fish and dive on foul.  The light chain can still be pulled up ok from 50m.

In my dinghy onthe other hand, I usually fish channels and banks with no foul - so stopping chafing the warp is not an issue.  There is lotsa tide and sometimes probelmatic holding, so keeping the stock down on the bottom is the issue.  I use a metre or so of 1/2" chain. I wouldn't like to haul too many metres of that from any depth.

Whatever length of whatever chain you use - make sure all your shackles are well moused!

IP Logged

w44vi

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:41pm

chain 1 1/2 to 2x length off boat is minimum for a cruising boats for fishing its not as critical as if you drag your likely to be on the boat

IP Logged

Bullseye
Donor Member

gud in bread

Tauranga
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:40am

Cheers  Huh

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!

IP Logged

Fishdivenhunt

Whakatane/Tauranga/auckland
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2012 at 3:56pm

depend on what type of boat you are and what type of fishing, wether you have a winch or not too. If you plan to do lots of overnight trips then i would go atleast 2x your boat length. you could get away with one length but in any strong current or wind you will drag.
I guess its up to you and how much you value your boat when the conditions are not the best

IP Logged

rambo-6mmRem
Forum Font

6mm remington with 100gn
corelokt yum

Helensville
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2012 at 5:11pm

all ways been told 1 1/2-2 boat lenths

...if you go to bed with an itchy bottom you'll wake up with smelly finger

IP Logged

Beaker
Forum Font

very happy with my life

Auckland NZ
Reply #8 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:54pm

I always like plenty of chain currently I have 16 m of 8mm chain on my 8.2m boat it has never dragged. Lighter for a fishing only boat is OK but have some extra chain and shackles on hand for if you spend a night in a bay or to hold your boat in place in an emergency.

An anchor is an essential piece of safety equipment there are times when it MUST hold I can think of twice in my long boating life when good anchoring saved the day.

First time we were fishing just outside the lagoon entrance at the south side of Kaipara harbour entrance another boat came through the lagoon mouth and was nearly swamped by a wave the occupants while struggling with that lost all power thier anchor was the only thing stopping them from a ride across the Kaipara bar on dusk. We towed them in but we were the only other boat in the area so that anchor could have saved thier lives, it had to hold as thier last defence.

Second time was cyclone Fergus we were at Te kouma harbour in our 24ft yacht me my wife and 3 very young children due to the radio we had plenty of warning so were able to find a good possy up under a hill deep in Pigeon bay with good mud holding I used my massive cast iron anchor which lives in the bilge for such emergencies and shackled in an extra 10m of 10mm short link chain we stayed in the same spot for the next 24 hrs 3 other boats dragged anchors in the bay the boat next to me reckoned they recorded 85knots on thier deck anemometer we got the worst of that storm that decimated that coast of the Corromandels but we were fine if a bit damp and worried.

So yes you need a good anchoring system 1 and a half to 2 times boat length for chain of decent weight and plenty of good quality warp if hand hauling then it needs to be thick too so you don't stuff your hands. If you want lighter for fishing thats fine but carry extra chain for holding in emergencies and remember too if its too light then it will drag which makes you much more susceptable to snagging and loosing ground tackle.

IP Logged

raydafish
Donor Member

katikati
Reply #9 - May 9th, 2012 at 8:36pm

aunties right and more chain the better!!!!
regards
Ray

IP Logged

JoshC
Donor Member

Terrorizing Redskins Since /> 1995

Southland/Otago
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2012 at 4:06pm

Yup at least 1.5 lengths is normal I think. Our boat is 7.8m, chain is 15m. I think ours was as spec'd by insurance. Minimum anchor size and type as well.

IP Logged

deserthead
Just Joined

better than 13 clubs to
hit the same ball......

Silverdale
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:14pm

depends on the size of the boat. I dont have 18 feet of chain on my 12" tinny!.
but the general rule is 1.5 - 2.0 times the lenght of the boat and 6mm chain for a 6m boat, 8mm chain for a 8m boat etc. And lock the shackles up with stainless wire or a cable tie. You would be suprised how they work loose.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

marlborough
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 6:41pm

Depends if you have an auto anchor winch or a Bulgerian weightlifter for a wife. Smiley

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Fallow country
Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:27pm

Bullseye wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 8:18pm:
What is your general thinking on the length of chain versus the length of boat?
I've always used about 2 or 3mtrs of decent weight chain no matter what size the boat but some dude tried telling me today that you should use one and a half the length of the boat which I personally think is a bit excessive!

A very ruff guide.
Boats up to 15mts, Anchor weight in Kgs  should be equal to about 1 and half times  the length of the boat if your using a good  general purpose anchor, anchor weight should never be less than the boats length. ie, 5mt boat = min 7.5kg CQR/plough type anchor etc.

Chain is important as well as using correct length of  line to keep the pull on anchor as vertical as poss.

5mt boat using 6mm chain  3-4 mts.
5-8mt boat use a minimum 6mts of chain.

NOTE, weight of chain should equal or exceed weight of anchor.

IP Logged

Sako75
Donor Member

Auckland
Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:50pm

Interesting Ice  Cool

After Dav made mention of Catenary I looked into it a bit more and found this

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Fallow country
Reply #15 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 3:50pm

Sako75 wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 2:50pm:
Interesting Ice  Cool

After Dav made mention of Catenary I looked into it a bit more and found this

http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php

Cool with small boats I still think the weight and type of anchor are way more important than length of chain used which is mainly for the wear and tear on the seabed. I have anchored up in some terrible conditions and the worst wear was always on the fairlead.

I always had a piece of fabric reinforced hose on our anchor line because it chaffed on the fairlead, it was only a problem in heavy weather.

IP Logged

guzzi
Donor Member

I like animals they taste
great!

Auckland
Reply #16 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 5:45pm

ICEMAN wrote on Aug 20th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
Cool with small boats I still think the weight and type of anchor are way more important than length of chain used which is mainly for the wear and tear on the seabed. I have anchored up in some terrible conditions and the worst wear was always on the fairlead.

I always had a piece of fabric reinforced hose on our anchor line because it chaffed on the fairlead, it was only a problem in heavy weather.

Ummmm whats a fairlead? might be a stupid question but im like that  Grin

"recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant", as the Maharajah of Cooch Behar was once heard to remark!

IP Logged

parkercraft

it dosen't leak (any faster
than i can bail)

kelston
Reply #17 - Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm

its the guide on the bow that the anchor rope runs though

IP Logged

Bullseye
Donor Member

gud in bread

Tauranga
Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:00am

deserthead wrote on Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
depends on the size of the boat. I dont have 18 feet of chain on my 12" tinny!.
but the general rule is 1.5 - 2.0 times the lenght of the boat and 6mm chain for a 6m boat, 8mm chain for a 8m boat etc. And lock the shackles up with stainless wire or a cable tie. You would be suprised how they work loose.

+1 to that

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print