Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trout Farming push is now on (Read 10538 times)
chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: Trout Farming push is now on
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 9:02am
Print Post  
can someone please explain to this non trout fishing person what the actual issue surrounding trout farming is? excuse my ignorance Embarrassed

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I agree with BTMO--concerning an agenda by a govt employee to push his own vested interests towards trout farming.
I dunno enough about trout farming to contribute-for or against trout farming.
But if trout farming is established in NZ-then that I guess that would make the sale of trout to resturants and the public legal. So I guess it could increase the amount of illegal poaching of trout for monetary gain.
Claims that fish farming is self sustaning is not all together correct-as both salmon and trout would have to be fed with other species of fish.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #17 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Baz wrote on Jun 13th, 2012 at 3:16pm:
I agree with BTMO--concerning an agenda by a govt employee to push his own vested interests towards trout farming.
I dunno enough about trout farming to contribute-for or against trout farming.
But if trout farming is established in NZ-then that I guess that would make the sale of trout to resturants and the public legal. So I guess it could increase the amount of illegal poaching of trout for monetary gain.
Claims that fish farming is self sustaning is not all together correct-as both salmon and trout would have to be fed with other species of fish.

Indeed, and most of the fish are being caught offshore and depleting natural stocks elsewhere. Its a fact that there are no free lunches in the fish world.

Many of the sources of fish mehl used in pellet production come from areas of the planet that are already suffering major depletion of fish stocks.. and if they arnt already, they will be soon

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
A slightly different angle to freshwater fish farming. Please note I am not currently in favour of freshwater trout farming but am just putting this out for discussion.

Do you think that if we had trout farms on say for arguments sake Lake Ellesmere it would of been able to be polluted as it currently is, or if we have freshwater fish farms on the Rakaia that we would have the level of water abstraction that we currently have and note that the rate of abstraction is increasing.

I would bet my dangly bits that the freshwater fish farms that we currently have on the hydro canals will never have to suffer from any of the above.

IMO this is one of the big issues we have as anglers, we have alot of difficulty putting a dollar value on something which is just a hobby / sport / passion, whereas the people who are extracting the water can say we are creating employment, overseas currency etc. Damn hard to argue against.

If we had or have freshwater fish farms then maybe our water supply and quality might improve ?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:01pm:
A slightly different angle to freshwater fish farming. Please note I am not currently in favour of freshwater trout farming but am just putting this out for discussion.

Do you think that if we had trout farms on say for arguments sake Lake Ellesmere it would of been able to be polluted as it currently is, or if we have freshwater fish farms on the Rakaia that we would have the level of water abstraction that we currently have and note that the rate of abstraction is increasing.

I would bet my dangly bits that the freshwater fish farms that we currently have on the hydro canals will never have to suffer from any of the above.

IMO this is one of the big issues we have as anglers, we have alot of difficulty putting a dollar value on something which is just a hobby / sport / passion, whereas the people who are extracting the water can say we are creating employment, overseas currency etc. Damn hard to argue against.

If we had or have freshwater fish farms then maybe our water supply and quality might improve ?

that's ans entirely different situation. The canals are part of a bigger system, and essential item in the power production setup. They have no other purpose than to channel water to the power houses. The flow is kept as constant as possible, or is needed.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #20 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Possibly not the best example but i think you will get my drift ? Smiley

IP Logged

LukeJ

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
[quote author=636E6A6F686A786E0B0 link=1334805197/17#17 date=1339575459]

Indeed, and most of the fish are being caught offshore and depleting natural stocks elsewhere. Its a fact that there are no free lunches in the fish world.

Many of the sources of fish mehl used in pellet production come from areas of the planet that are already suffering major depletion of fish stocks.. and if they arnt already, they will be soon

Some of this is true, however, it really depends on what type of pellet/meal being used.  There is a lot of work being done to try and find alternatives to using fish stocks that are under pressure. 

Some feeds already use protein from poultry etc and I believe that algae extracts are also being incorporated into many foods.

But you're right, there are no free lunches.  It has to come from somewhere.  Consumers do have a bit of a role in buying fish from more onto it producers.

IP Logged

LukeJ

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:01pm:

I'd be careful with betting your dangly bits in future.  Thats exactly whats happening to some of  the farms on the hydro canals over the next few summers.  The power companies need to do some major works on the canals and they can't do it when they are full of water.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards