Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Bowhunting tips and tricks (Read 34926 times)
Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Bowhunting tips and tricks
Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
DONE wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:57am:
That does sound like a good idea! Maybe you could add that to the thread with tips and tricks I read somewhere...

OK I will kick it off, I am sure there's heaps to share

Cut a slit on the inside wrist of your release aid hand of your camo glove (such as the Stoney Creek fingerles gloves, I hunt with these always). This give a straight course to thread your release aid strap through, meaning the glove doesn't interfere with the release aid at all, and no changes need to be made when wearing/not wearing the glove.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Re: Bowhunting tips and tricks
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Cover your metal zippers with a camo duct tape that doesn't jingle against the zip flies. Silent clothing, things that have friction you will want quiet, like trouser legs, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh
I have had an idea that I am going to implement shortly, and that is to get a small snuffer bottle filled with flour and attach it to my crossbow and use it to gauge the wind direction, (using lighters may be too loud and it's not always cold enough to use your breath). Also the two ultimate slings for bows and crossbows are right here: http://www.stringsling.com/stringsling.htm

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Unscented talcum powder will be better than flour.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Sounds good, cheers mate.

IP Logged

Kiwibowman

I Love Bowhunting !

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Actually a better wind checker is odourless foot powder, it is very fine and works a treat !!!

IP Logged

dalgo

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:21am
Print Post  
If you are bringing in a roaring stag, roar facing away from him when he gets close. That makes it harder for him to pinpoint your position as he will think you are further away. With a bit of luck he'll then walk right past you.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:37am
Print Post  
With a bit more luck he won't!!!!

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
DONE wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
Cover your metal zippers with a camo duct tape that doesn't jingle against the zip flies. Silent clothing, things that have friction you will want quiet, like trouser legs, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh
I have had an idea that I am going to implement shortly, and that is to get a small snuffer bottle filled with flour and attach it to my crossbow and use it to gauge the wind direction, (using lighters may be too loud and it's not always cold enough to use your breath). Also the two ultimate slings for bows and crossbows are right here: http://www.stringsling.com/stringsling.htm

I just use a bit of cotton thread tied to my riser, just above my sight. Works a treat.

kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Never figured out why anyone would need to buy wind detecting powder. Smoke or wet your finger. Everyone gives deer to much credit. They smell humans everyday. I believe its movement or sound that spooks them the most.

IP Logged

contract4

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Jimbag wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Never figured out why anyone would need to buy wind detecting powder. Smoke or wet your finger. Everyone gives deer to much credit. They smell humans everyday. I believe its movement or sound that spooks them the most.

Im with you on this one as well. Ive never worried about the wind to much for smell. I take wind into account more for it carrying my sound to it than my smell. I had 7 deer stand right next to me one day. The closest was about 6 inches from me. Im sure they would have been able to smell me at that distance but they never spooked. I was motionless and they just slowly walked away.

IP Logged

HeinB
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
kimjon wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
I just use a bit of cotton thread tied to my riser, just above my sight. Works a treat.

kj

+1, take some of your mrs's sewing thread and divide it in half. Shows you the wind direction perfectly when there is so little wind you can hardly feel it.

The benefits of sunscreen has been proved by scientists, the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

IP Logged

L0ki

A pheasant plucker really.

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Too much credit? Smell humans every day? You guys need to stop hunting on deer farms then =P

If they smell you they know what you are - say goodbye. It's over. Fin.
If they see you they are pretty sure they know what you are - good luck, you'll need it.
If they hear you they know where you are, and will be on high alert - again good luck with that.

When moving quietly and carefully enough though the bush (to avoid being heard and seen) even the faintest tail wind will ruin your stalk. Cotton or a wet finger won't pick that up. Strong wind is obvious anyway. And also light wind swirls in the bush. Smoke? Lmfao. Wind checker works... It's odorless, quick, sensitive, and the Surgeon General has no issues with it.

My limited experience (backed up by the experience of those I have learnt from).

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
EXACTLY. It's bowhunting, not a walk down the fence line, and I cant speak for anyone else, but i am not bagging game every weekend, and need all the tips I can get.

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I'll be the first to say I know f@#k all about bow hunting, its all completely new to me, I've only just picked it up over the last year and only take the bow out for a hunt once in a blue moon. However I'd like to think I know a thing or two about hunting in general?

When I was stalking in Scotland back in 2003-2004 I was paired up with a (then) 56 year old stalker who had only ever had one job in his life...as a stalker. He was a master deer hunter, shooting his quota of one deer per day for the last 40years. Quick math on that would estimate 40 x [365-104(weekends)]= over 10,000 deer he would have shot! I spent several months hunting with him and learnt more in this time than I had in a life time of hunting.

Basically wind is 100% the most important thing to consider when deer hunting. If they smell you, then its game over!

Movement, silhouette and sound are important, but they are way less important than wind.

kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

gremlins

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
HeinB wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:27pm:
+1, take some of your mrs's sewing thread and divide it in half. Shows you the wind direction perfectly when there is so little wind you can hardly feel it.

+2
a short piece of cotton with a little down feather tied to the bottom in my pocket,,,works awesome and cost nothing, minimal maintenance

HOYT ALPHAMAX 32

IP Logged

contract4

Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
L0ki wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm:
Too much credit? Smell humans every day? You guys need to stop hunting on deer farms then =P

If they see you they are pretty sure they know what you are - good luck, you'll need it.
If they hear you they know where you are, and will be on high alert - again good luck with that.

When moving quietly and carefully enough though the bush (to avoid being heard and seen) even the faintest tail wind will ruin your stalk. Cotton or a wet finger won't pick that up. Strong wind is obvious anyway. And also light wind swirls in the bush. Smoke? Lmfao. Wind checker works... It's odorless, quick, sensitive, and the Surgeon General has no issues with it.

My limited experience (backed up by the experience of those I have learnt from).

This is titled "Tips and Tricks"

Loki you dont know me from the next guy and All Ive put on here was what has been my experience. Ive been hunting for 41 years now and about 25 of that has been bow hunting. Ive hunted in places so vast it would blow your mind. I have not found any places like that here in NZ. Or I should say here on the North Island. Maybe the South has vastnes like that. Im not a farmland hunter. Ive never hunted on a farm until I came to NZ actually.

I put my 2 cents worth in here from actual experience. It is my experience from watching how elk or deer, coyote's, javalina, pronghorn antelope, rabbits, cougar, bear, desert bighorn sheep and more have reacted after Ive stalked them with a tail wind or from calling in a big bull elk that has gone around me in circles. Was he trying to smell me, or see me, or maybe hear me. Maybe all 3 but with my experience I come up with an opinion. It was all 3 he was aiming for but in the end it was the sound of a cracking branch beneath my foot that snapped as I started to motion into draw. He went completely around me and never spooked. Yes there was a slight wind and Im sure he smelled me. But it wasnt untill the snap that he ran. Ive had many experiences which leads me to believe that sound and sight has alot more to do with it. Im very good at stalking up on anything without being detected and Ive stalked up on many deer in my 41 years of hunting. Thats a whole lot of learning. I'll be honest, I havent killed many because of screwing it up at the draw, like banging my arrow against my bow or dropping my arrow or things like that. Ive never hunted off of a tree stand cause I dont have the patience so I have no experience with that. But what I have experienced has taught me alot and all I was doing was putting down my experience. No reason to shoot it down

IP Logged

L0ki

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Why so serious batman! I'm just joking... Didn't mean to offend and I know you don't actually hunt on deer farms. I also know you have a lot more experience than myself. Sorry for poking fun. I do apologize.

But you must have a unique smell or something. It would generally be accepted by most stalkers and hunters that deer have a remarkably sensitive sense of smell. That they can smell and react to predators is why they still roam the planet today. It seems to me that if a person new to stalking were to take your advice and hunt with the wind they may become very frustrated with the sport and their failures. But then maybe I'm wrong... If you could figure your secret out and bottle it then you'd be a very rich man.

IP Logged

Joshua James

rafting-fishing-hunt
ing

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Jimbag wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm:

That maybe true in America but in NZ its a different story, 1 sniff of a human and they are off

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Yeah, I think thats the difference. Much of the states has short seasons and game living in close proximity to people and their smell.

You just have to witness a deer pick up your scent 6-800 meters away in the ranges, or a pig walk across the scent trail you left an hour ago to realize that here, smell is the key factor.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Never ever seen or spooked a deer when travelling to hunting areas with the wind behind me.

No.1 rule here in NZ, hunt with the wind in your face or head back to camp.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Tip no.2
When stalking up a very promising creek, have an arrow nocked in

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Here's a tip I picked up on my recent hunting trip into the Motu for the last 6 days. It rained every single day nearly 24hrs a day...worst trip I've ever been on, but that's another story!

Anyway, anything and everything plain steel went rusty on my bow like the broad heads, Allen bolts, sight pins etc etc, but then I came up with the idea of spraying cooking oil on these parts and voila! Magic. Cooking oil is great as it has no chemical smell and you can eat up to the cut as its non toxic unlike Kroil or WD40 etc.

kj

IP Logged

L0ki

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
CRC 808 is the one for that.... I use it on my bow when heading into crap weather. The water beads and runs off.

It's what motorcross guys use on their bikes - the mud just slides off. It's also mint on all the rubbers and plastic on your car - makes the wipers, engine cover, hoses all look new. Odourless and dries to a protective film. Oil would be a bit... well oily, and with time would go rancid and surely give a smell.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Spotlight for the bow

If you have an Axion Stabiliser, pull out the rubber dampers and get a torch that fits inside the tube. Wrap the torch loosely in duct tape making it thicker towards the front, eventually thicker than the inside of the satbiliser so it will wedge in place.

Use the torch to spotlight handheld, then when preparing to shoot, wedge it down the inside of the stabiliser

Saves using two torches, gives you somewhere to put your torch when shooting....its all good  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:41am by Swodem »  

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Best anti-rust

smells like a sheep too!!

IP Logged

Judd
Just Joined

Crack on

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:26am
Print Post  
My bitch tells me what I cant see or smell...kinda like how my wife tells me I need a shower and to clean my kit up off the table because you just dont notice it

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:00am
Print Post  
I am no expert i want to make that clear before i start.
These are my opinons and thats all they are. Opinons are like elbows everyone has a couple. These are mine  my mentors and friends experences.

Bow
When you to get into bowhunting look at all the options out there compound, recurve, longbow and selfbow. Dont rush in and buy a bow try and find guys that have different bows and try them out see what bow you like the most. Every style of bow has advantages and disadvantages.

Form
it doesnt matter how you shoot your bow. There is hundereds of ways to shoot once you find a type of form you are comftable with pratice doing it. Dont try and shoot at something shoot for form, just think about your form so when you start hunting it comes naturally it also prevents bad habits.

Broadheads
Im not going to talk about the 2 vs 3 or 4 blade debate. Thats up to you to decide however i will say get your broadheads scary sharp whether razor or rough edge again thats up to you. Just make sure they are able to do the job.

Shooting
learn to shoot in every position possible kneeling, lying on you belly ect. Only shoot at animals within your effective shooting range. Im not going to tell you what that is as that is up to you to decide and everyones effective shooting range is different. Only shoot at animals that offer ethical shooting positions. Its not worth having a wounded animal on your mind.

Hunting
I use a wind feather tied on to my bowstring with some dental floss and i tie a marobou feather onto the string you can pick these up at any flytying store.
Hunt with the wind in your face.
Get a pair of soft soled shoes for stalking so you can feel what under your feet so you arn't breaking sticks ect.
Relax when your in the bush. What i mean by that is when coming into a good spot SLOW DOWN!!! stop and look for 5min then take two steps and repeat.
Be careful not to get to close to an animal because then it gets really hard to draw on a animal without him spotting you.
Hunting isnt a compition its only between you and the animal your hunting dont get caught up in how many animals your mate shot.

Thats all i can think of at the mo. Hope this helps. Contract 4 would love to have a yarn with you one day.

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Learn for your own mistakes. If you miss a shot ect as yourself why? So you don't repeat it again. If your really smart you will learn off other people's mistakes.

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

Ndoda

Reply #28 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Best thing I've learnt is that if you get into a warm area with a bit of sign, nock an arrow. If you do, you may not need it. If you don't, you will definitely need it.

Greg

IP Logged

Judd
Just Joined

Crack on

Reply #29 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Learn how to use the katabatic(current going down) and anabatic(going up) winds, such a small wind that takes your sent or an animals.  All depends on season, but during winter from 1am to 10/11am, hunt going up stream to your area of interest(wind coming down), from 10/11am ie when the winds are going up, look to advance down stream, of course this depends on your quarry and there habits...summer time earth and ocean get warmer earlier and so you get 1-3hrs less of wind coming down.  North vs south face and what the terrain is will alter a few things, but this is something to help others out with...even on a very still day, there is still air currents, use a lighter to tell you very quickly what way its going-take note of it, where you are and what time of day.  For an area you hunt a lot, you'l develop a good appreciation of air currents when there isnt a main wind....plus if you use a dog this is essential to make the most of the dog.
Air is always moving, and so is your sent, the longer your in an area even when still, the more your sent will drift and spread

IP Logged

maxis-hunter
Just Joined

Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 4:37am
Print Post  
I use a rugby sox and put ash from the fire in it. tied to my belt. give it a shake and a fine powder floats out , fantastic for wind and inexpencive

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I shoot from a treestand because I have only 175 acres of farm to hunt on. It is part of 10 sq. km of land with no roads running through it. Swamps hills and a small river. Loads of deer as a rule. Seldom does a whitetail blow because they smell me, it does happen, but twenty minutes later, when I am in my stand another deer shows up, not always in range of my bow and they browse never knowing that I am there. Regardless of which way the wind is blowing. Again because our deer constantly smell humans. Now I do not shoot racks I am after fawn or does and non breeding bucks. Maybe they are the stupid ones. I only see the big boys once or twice a season. I usually shoot two deer per season.

IP Logged

Mystery Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Disguise your scent by rolling around with some tame billy goats, before you go hunting, works every time trust me.

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #33 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:49am
Print Post  

dude,try baking powder in an old hair die bottle(provided you know a female)  Wink Grin Grin

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I'm sure your mum will have an empty aloe bottle for me, once she's done soothing your burn  Cheesy Wink I got a snuffer bottle though, works ok.

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #35 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

SwampThing

Reply #36 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Ndoda wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:21am:
Best thing I've learnt is that if you get into a warm area with a bit of sign, nock an arrow. If you do, you may not need it. If you don't, you will definitely need it.

Greg

Already knew that one, but it didn't stop me from missing a goat a couple weeks ago. Saw one in the paddock, put the stalk on within the treeline to close the gap, climbed over the fence and lost sight of it, thought it had spotted me or whatever so I re-quivered the arrow, walked out into the paddock and the damn thing jumped up out of a hole and ran right passed me. I would have jumped on it if I hadn't been too busy kicking myself in the ass.  Angry Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

Toa Hunter Gatherer
Donor Member

Traditional Bow Hunter

Reply #37 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Rodger that, have put up many a deer due to wind change, taught to hunt by a Kiwi hunting Legend, and out of all hunting lessons I could remember growing up.. Get the wind right hunt into it . Must be one of NZs hunting upbringing commandments.

"Man perishes....but the land remains"
Hunt.Gather.Provide
IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #38 - May 7th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
L0ki wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm:

I'm with you, I cant believe someone would say the wind direction or a deers sense of smell is not important.

I would go as far as to say that Deer are hugely depended on their acute sense of smell to detect danger. One wiff of human and they are gone.

Conversely If they hear you and cant's see you or smell you they may stick around to confirm one of their other senses before they take off.

If they see you and can't smell you they may even be curious and try to confirm one of their other senses.

But if they smell you they are gone gone gone...

I have been fortunate to see many wild fallow deer and place dozens of stalks on them over several years
I have watched them many times feeding away no problem. Then a slight change in breeze, one of them picks me up and will put their head up. Next second one or two of the others will be looking at the alert deer nervously. Soon others will be scenting the air too, Then one by one they take off. Awesome and informative to watch.

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

buzy jnr

Reply #39 - May 7th, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
very seldom are conditions going to be perfect I'm sure everyone will find this, you just have to go with what you get and try to capitalise on the opportunity you are given even if it is small. 
e.g.
you have those days when the wind just always seems to follow you everywhere, you could go back to camp but i reckon the odds of success wandering around with the wind up your arse are better than sitting back at camp.
I think its about making the right compromises

e.g.

, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh

its nice wearing quiet clothes but i would rather be a bit noisy if i can be dry.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #40 - May 8th, 2013 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Grin is that a pvc jacket?! You look so dry and comfortable  Roll Eyes
Good on you for doing it though, you got a deer, so good result.  Cool

Good tip though. It's true too. I asked a mate to come for a hunt last saturday and he regretted not coming, after seeing the yearling.

IP Logged

sleek1
Forum Senior

APEX PREDATOR , LAND AND
SEA

Reply #41 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:57am
Print Post  
we hunt the same block , should tag team it one day if ya keen?

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold vengance, Qad Hdx , carbon edge blade, tight spot

IP Logged

Simon Bullivant

Reply #42 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
The biggest problem I have with a noisy jacket is not so much what can hear me,  but it is what I can't hear.  I am out there hunting , trying to defeat them and not hoping they don't defeat me.  Hope that makes sense. I play to win instead of hoping I don't lose.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #43 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Simon Bullivant wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 10:55am:
The biggest problem I have with a noisy jacket is not so much what can hear me,  but it is what I can't hear.  I am out there hunting , trying to defeat them and not hoping they don't defeat me.  Hope that makes sense. I play to win instead of hoping I don't lose. 

Mate you need a bell around your neck to give things a chance  Wink

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #44 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Po55umplukka wrote on Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:08am:
Just a tip for the round throw target. Only use one arrow. I've smashed heaps by hitting it a little off centre, skewing it around a bit and then putting the next one in at the same height with a different entry angle...smashes them in the middle!

Speaking of tips, I have one for other crossbow users. Put something on one of you cocking aid handles so you can quickly see which side is right or left without having to look at the hook. This can potentially save you time on reloading.

Info on cocking aids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PID3k2PDKRA

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #45 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 10:23am
Print Post  
This is my Video on sharpening two bladed broadeads..

http://youtu.be/r2atExKXkuI

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #46 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Powdercoat your release aid a bright colour so it doesn't get lost in the Bush. This was black when I bought it. Last weekend I put it down for a second while getting a drink from my pack and could hardly find it against the dark earth. So this week it got the full on real deal yellow treatment.

IP Logged

Rabbbit
Just Joined

All about hunting and
fishing

Reply #47 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
was bow hunting Smiley while back came across real fresh sign and got a bit too keen was concentrating on the fresh prints and droppings was not paying attention to where I was putting my big feet stood on a twig - crack I did not even have time to think about that for about 5mtrs in front of me a big red exploded out of the toi  toi bushes looked straight at me Shocked snorted and thundered off up the valley and over the ridge damn near crapped myself he was a lot bigger than I am - did not even have an arrow on my bow
tracked that big guy for 3hrs then he just completely vanished
lesson learnt always have arrow ready and take time to listen and look at surroundings - slow down

Everyone needs to believe in something I believe I'll go hunting

IP Logged

bushninja
Donor Member

when I'm not hunting

Reply #48 - Feb 18th, 2014 at 8:45am
Print Post  
String silencers Don't know if its already here. I use a rubber bungee slice the covering off cut to size 1 makes heaps. Smiley

IP Logged

stealth2
Just Joined

Reply #49 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Practice practice practice... when you take up bowhunting get good advice on gear from the right people and get that gear setup for you correctly and then shoot, shoot, shoot...
gain confidence by shooting out to longer ranges such as 40 and 50 metres, shoot at a small target about 3 inches in diameter, concentrate on grouping your arrows into that small spot, fine tuning your setup. This will make shooting at closer ranges a breeze and will help with form.

IP Logged

John F
Just Joined
Donor Member

Reply #50 - May 7th, 2014 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Practice in what you intend on hunting in. No point target shooting for months then drawing on a good animal in 3D camo and have obstruction of view, more weight on you leading arm from jackets etc. Same goes with arrows, practice with the broad heads you intend to use slight variances can be found between field tips and broad heads.

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #51 - May 26th, 2014 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Once you have shot your Rhinehart target to shit so it is split in half, and the innards are shredded and falling apart, take a large roll of wide packing tape and tape the thing up. A whole roll is just a few dollers so use the whole roll on it from all different angles.
You will then get another lease of life out of your $200.00 target

IP Logged

Radam

Stickin to tradition

Reply #52 - May 26th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
After tapping the target up spray some expanding foam in it. It's pretty cheap for a can, and it extends the life even more.

IP Logged

JPanoho
Just Joined

Reply #53 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Damn good tips cheers all. Will put these to use as a new hunter Cheesy

Mission Ballistic 55lb, Rip Cord S.O.S Rest, Dead Nuts 3 Mark V Sight, Tight Spot 5 Arrow Quiver, Trophy Taker Shuttle T Broadheads.

IP Logged

Harrison

Reply #54 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Do you guys think 2000lumens is enough for bunny bow spotlighting?

Cheers

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #55 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 9:19am
Print Post  
yep! or do you mean 200?

IP Logged

Harrison

Reply #56 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Cheers.  Was looking at this on on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/itm/321482325147?var=510370713417

And this one on rateme http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=769738070

Will think on it overnight then.  Cheers

IP Logged

nakibowhunter
Donor Member

Bow Hunting Addict

Reply #57 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I'd go for one that either mounts to your bow or can strap to your wrist. Head lamps tend to give a lot of glare back off the bow making it difficult to see what your shooting at in my experience.

IP Logged

matty94
Just Joined

Reply #58 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:03am
Print Post  
That's fantastic advice, thanks

IP Logged

Norwegianwoods
Forum Font

Reply #59 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:15am
Print Post  
nakibowhunter wrote on Aug 25th, 2014 at 12:52am:
I'd go for one that either mounts to your bow or can strap to your wrist. Head lamps tend to give a lot of glare back off the bow making it difficult to see what your shooting at in my experience.

I agree.
Attach one to your stabilizer.
Then it will always point where you want it and you will not get any distracting light on your bow and/or sight.

IP Logged

Harrison

Reply #60 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Cheers, after a bit more searching and the good advice about glare off your bow with a head light I went for a led lenser and banged up a mount during lunch last week. 

IP Logged

Harrison

Reply #61 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 10:19am
Print Post  
The next two nights of target practice were awesome!

IP Logged

sleek1
Forum Senior

APEX PREDATOR , LAND AND
SEA

Reply #62 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
awesome

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold vengance, Qad Hdx , carbon edge blade, tight spot

IP Logged

kiwikid

Reply #63 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 9:43am
Print Post  
im new to bow hunting any tips on on rabbits? got a 25 pound bow with razor tips cost me a lot so want to get a feed!! anything mutch appreciated  Smiley

Beginner hunter and fisher but mad about the lot Rv

IP Logged

Captain Bowman
Just Joined

Living the dream

Reply #64 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:55am
Print Post  
I think wind and smell is the first thing that must be addressed when bowhunting and don't waist your penny's on that cent block crap because they can still smell you breath.
Captain.

Living the dream

IP Logged

sticknstring
Donor Member

Reply #65 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 9:21am
Print Post  
kiwikid wrote on Jun 25th, 2015 at 9:43am:
im new to bow hunting any tips on on rabbits? got a 25 pound bow with razor tips cost me a lot so want to get a feed!! anything mutch appreciated  Smiley

Go real slow. If you can find something like an orchard to shoot in you get plenty of cover walking up the lines of trees and can keep things close range. No point if they are seeing you coming 100 yards out!

Just love being in the bush!

IP Logged

kiwikid

Reply #66 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Thx guys:-)

Beginner hunter and fisher but mad about the lot Rv

IP Logged

Brendan
Donor Member

Reply #67 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 5:29am
Print Post  
I had a look on Google earth and I was able to see the bulk bale which is the main target we use at home.  By right clicking on the mouse I was able to "measure from here to there" 
It gave an accurate measure of the distance I was shooting tonight. 
I also looked on google earth where I shot a rabbit at 16 metres by a railway line.  At this location I will get plenty of chances at around the 16m to 20 m distance so useful  info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards