Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Bowhunting tips and tricks (Read 34978 times)
maxis-hunter
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bowhunting tips and tricks
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 4:37am
Print Post  
I use a rugby sox and put ash from the fire in it. tied to my belt. give it a shake and a fine powder floats out , fantastic for wind and inexpencive

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I shoot from a treestand because I have only 175 acres of farm to hunt on. It is part of 10 sq. km of land with no roads running through it. Swamps hills and a small river. Loads of deer as a rule. Seldom does a whitetail blow because they smell me, it does happen, but twenty minutes later, when I am in my stand another deer shows up, not always in range of my bow and they browse never knowing that I am there. Regardless of which way the wind is blowing. Again because our deer constantly smell humans. Now I do not shoot racks I am after fawn or does and non breeding bucks. Maybe they are the stupid ones. I only see the big boys once or twice a season. I usually shoot two deer per season.

IP Logged

Mystery Arrow
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Disguise your scent by rolling around with some tame billy goats, before you go hunting, works every time trust me.

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #33 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:49am
Print Post  
DONE wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
Cover your metal zippers with a camo duct tape that doesn't jingle against the zip flies. Silent clothing, things that have friction you will want quiet, like trouser legs, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh
I have had an idea that I am going to implement shortly, and that is to get a small snuffer bottle filled with flour and attach it to my crossbow and use it to gauge the wind direction, (using lighters may be too loud and it's not always cold enough to use your breath). Also the two ultimate slings for bows and crossbows are right here: http://www.stringsling.com/stringsling.htm

dude,try baking powder in an old hair die bottle(provided you know a female)  Wink Grin Grin

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I'm sure your mum will have an empty aloe bottle for me, once she's done soothing your burn  Cheesy Wink I got a snuffer bottle though, works ok.

IP Logged

FULLDRAW

Reply #35 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin

LIVE LIFE AT FULLDRAW

IP Logged

SwampThing

Reply #36 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Ndoda wrote on Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:21am:
Best thing I've learnt is that if you get into a warm area with a bit of sign, nock an arrow. If you do, you may not need it. If you don't, you will definitely need it.

Greg

Already knew that one, but it didn't stop me from missing a goat a couple weeks ago. Saw one in the paddock, put the stalk on within the treeline to close the gap, climbed over the fence and lost sight of it, thought it had spotted me or whatever so I re-quivered the arrow, walked out into the paddock and the damn thing jumped up out of a hole and ran right passed me. I would have jumped on it if I hadn't been too busy kicking myself in the ass.  Angry Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

Toa Hunter Gatherer
Donor Member

Traditional Bow Hunter

Reply #37 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Rodger that, have put up many a deer due to wind change, taught to hunt by a Kiwi hunting Legend, and out of all hunting lessons I could remember growing up.. Get the wind right hunt into it . Must be one of NZs hunting upbringing commandments.

"Man perishes....but the land remains"
Hunt.Gather.Provide
IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #38 - May 7th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
L0ki wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm:
Too much credit? Smell humans every day? You guys need to stop hunting on deer farms then =P

If they smell you they know what you are - say goodbye. It's over. Fin.
If they see you they are pretty sure they know what you are - good luck, you'll need it.
If they hear you they know where you are, and will be on high alert - again good luck with that.

When moving quietly and carefully enough though the bush (to avoid being heard and seen) even the faintest tail wind will ruin your stalk. Cotton or a wet finger won't pick that up. Strong wind is obvious anyway. And also light wind swirls in the bush. Smoke? Lmfao. Wind checker works... It's odorless, quick, sensitive, and the Surgeon General has no issues with it.

My limited experience (backed up by the experience of those I have learnt from).

I'm with you, I cant believe someone would say the wind direction or a deers sense of smell is not important.

I would go as far as to say that Deer are hugely depended on their acute sense of smell to detect danger. One wiff of human and they are gone.

Conversely If they hear you and cant's see you or smell you they may stick around to confirm one of their other senses before they take off.

If they see you and can't smell you they may even be curious and try to confirm one of their other senses.

But if they smell you they are gone gone gone...

I have been fortunate to see many wild fallow deer and place dozens of stalks on them over several years
I have watched them many times feeding away no problem. Then a slight change in breeze, one of them picks me up and will put their head up. Next second one or two of the others will be looking at the alert deer nervously. Soon others will be scenting the air too, Then one by one they take off. Awesome and informative to watch.

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

buzy jnr

Reply #39 - May 7th, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
very seldom are conditions going to be perfect I'm sure everyone will find this, you just have to go with what you get and try to capitalise on the opportunity you are given even if it is small. 
e.g.
you have those days when the wind just always seems to follow you everywhere, you could go back to camp but i reckon the odds of success wandering around with the wind up your arse are better than sitting back at camp.
I think its about making the right compromises

e.g.

DONE wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh

its nice wearing quiet clothes but i would rather be a bit noisy if i can be dry.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #40 - May 8th, 2013 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Grin is that a pvc jacket?! You look so dry and comfortable  Roll Eyes
Good on you for doing it though, you got a deer, so good result.  Cool

Good tip though. It's true too. I asked a mate to come for a hunt last saturday and he regretted not coming, after seeing the yearling.

IP Logged

sleek1
Forum Senior

APEX PREDATOR , LAND AND
SEA

Reply #41 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:57am
Print Post  
we hunt the same block , should tag team it one day if ya keen?

Hoyt carbon spyder turbo, black gold vengance, Qad Hdx , carbon edge blade, tight spot

IP Logged

Simon Bullivant

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #42 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:55am
Print Post  
The biggest problem I have with a noisy jacket is not so much what can hear me,  but it is what I can't hear.  I am out there hunting , trying to defeat them and not hoping they don't defeat me.  Hope that makes sense. I play to win instead of hoping I don't lose.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #43 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Simon Bullivant wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 10:55am:
The biggest problem I have with a noisy jacket is not so much what can hear me,  but it is what I can't hear.  I am out there hunting , trying to defeat them and not hoping they don't defeat me.  Hope that makes sense. I play to win instead of hoping I don't lose. 

Mate you need a bell around your neck to give things a chance  Wink

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #44 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Po55umplukka wrote on Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:08am:
Just a tip for the round throw target. Only use one arrow. I've smashed heaps by hitting it a little off centre, skewing it around a bit and then putting the next one in at the same height with a different entry angle...smashes them in the middle!

Speaking of tips, I have one for other crossbow users. Put something on one of you cocking aid handles so you can quickly see which side is right or left without having to look at the hook. This can potentially save you time on reloading.

Info on cocking aids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PID3k2PDKRA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards