Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Bowhunting tips and tricks (Read 34991 times)
contract4

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bowhunting tips and tricks
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
L0ki wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm:
Too much credit? Smell humans every day? You guys need to stop hunting on deer farms then =P

If they smell you they know what you are - say goodbye. It's over. Fin.
If they see you they are pretty sure they know what you are - good luck, you'll need it.
If they hear you they know where you are, and will be on high alert - again good luck with that.

When moving quietly and carefully enough though the bush (to avoid being heard and seen) even the faintest tail wind will ruin your stalk. Cotton or a wet finger won't pick that up. Strong wind is obvious anyway. And also light wind swirls in the bush. Smoke? Lmfao. Wind checker works... It's odorless, quick, sensitive, and the Surgeon General has no issues with it.

My limited experience (backed up by the experience of those I have learnt from).

This is titled "Tips and Tricks"

Loki you dont know me from the next guy and All Ive put on here was what has been my experience. Ive been hunting for 41 years now and about 25 of that has been bow hunting. Ive hunted in places so vast it would blow your mind. I have not found any places like that here in NZ. Or I should say here on the North Island. Maybe the South has vastnes like that. Im not a farmland hunter. Ive never hunted on a farm until I came to NZ actually.

I put my 2 cents worth in here from actual experience. It is my experience from watching how elk or deer, coyote's, javalina, pronghorn antelope, rabbits, cougar, bear, desert bighorn sheep and more have reacted after Ive stalked them with a tail wind or from calling in a big bull elk that has gone around me in circles. Was he trying to smell me, or see me, or maybe hear me. Maybe all 3 but with my experience I come up with an opinion. It was all 3 he was aiming for but in the end it was the sound of a cracking branch beneath my foot that snapped as I started to motion into draw. He went completely around me and never spooked. Yes there was a slight wind and Im sure he smelled me. But it wasnt untill the snap that he ran. Ive had many experiences which leads me to believe that sound and sight has alot more to do with it. Im very good at stalking up on anything without being detected and Ive stalked up on many deer in my 41 years of hunting. Thats a whole lot of learning. I'll be honest, I havent killed many because of screwing it up at the draw, like banging my arrow against my bow or dropping my arrow or things like that. Ive never hunted off of a tree stand cause I dont have the patience so I have no experience with that. But what I have experienced has taught me alot and all I was doing was putting down my experience. No reason to shoot it down

IP Logged

L0ki

A pheasant plucker really.

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Why so serious batman! I'm just joking... Didn't mean to offend and I know you don't actually hunt on deer farms. I also know you have a lot more experience than myself. Sorry for poking fun. I do apologize.

But you must have a unique smell or something. It would generally be accepted by most stalkers and hunters that deer have a remarkably sensitive sense of smell. That they can smell and react to predators is why they still roam the planet today. It seems to me that if a person new to stalking were to take your advice and hunt with the wind they may become very frustrated with the sport and their failures. But then maybe I'm wrong... If you could figure your secret out and bottle it then you'd be a very rich man.

IP Logged

Joshua James

rafting-fishing-hunt
ing

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Jimbag wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Never figured out why anyone would need to buy wind detecting powder. Smoke or wet your finger. Everyone gives deer to much credit. They smell humans everyday. I believe its movement or sound that spooks them the most.

That maybe true in America but in NZ its a different story, 1 sniff of a human and they are off

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Yeah, I think thats the difference. Much of the states has short seasons and game living in close proximity to people and their smell.

You just have to witness a deer pick up your scent 6-800 meters away in the ranges, or a pig walk across the scent trail you left an hour ago to realize that here, smell is the key factor.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Never ever seen or spooked a deer when travelling to hunting areas with the wind behind me.

No.1 rule here in NZ, hunt with the wind in your face or head back to camp.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Tip no.2
When stalking up a very promising creek, have an arrow nocked in

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Here's a tip I picked up on my recent hunting trip into the Motu for the last 6 days. It rained every single day nearly 24hrs a day...worst trip I've ever been on, but that's another story!

Anyway, anything and everything plain steel went rusty on my bow like the broad heads, Allen bolts, sight pins etc etc, but then I came up with the idea of spraying cooking oil on these parts and voila! Magic. Cooking oil is great as it has no chemical smell and you can eat up to the cut as its non toxic unlike Kroil or WD40 etc.

kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

L0ki

A pheasant plucker really.

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
CRC 808 is the one for that.... I use it on my bow when heading into crap weather. The water beads and runs off.

It's what motorcross guys use on their bikes - the mud just slides off. It's also mint on all the rubbers and plastic on your car - makes the wipers, engine cover, hoses all look new. Odourless and dries to a protective film. Oil would be a bit... well oily, and with time would go rancid and surely give a smell.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Spotlight for the bow

If you have an Axion Stabiliser, pull out the rubber dampers and get a torch that fits inside the tube. Wrap the torch loosely in duct tape making it thicker towards the front, eventually thicker than the inside of the satbiliser so it will wedge in place.

Use the torch to spotlight handheld, then when preparing to shoot, wedge it down the inside of the stabiliser

Saves using two torches, gives you somewhere to put your torch when shooting....its all good  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:41am by Swodem »  

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Best anti-rust

smells like a sheep too!!

IP Logged

Judd
Just Joined

Crack on

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:26am
Print Post  
My bitch tells me what I cant see or smell...kinda like how my wife tells me I need a shower and to clean my kit up off the table because you just dont notice it

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:00am
Print Post  
I am no expert i want to make that clear before i start.
These are my opinons and thats all they are. Opinons are like elbows everyone has a couple. These are mine  my mentors and friends experences.

Bow
When you to get into bowhunting look at all the options out there compound, recurve, longbow and selfbow. Dont rush in and buy a bow try and find guys that have different bows and try them out see what bow you like the most. Every style of bow has advantages and disadvantages.

Form
it doesnt matter how you shoot your bow. There is hundereds of ways to shoot once you find a type of form you are comftable with pratice doing it. Dont try and shoot at something shoot for form, just think about your form so when you start hunting it comes naturally it also prevents bad habits.

Broadheads
Im not going to talk about the 2 vs 3 or 4 blade debate. Thats up to you to decide however i will say get your broadheads scary sharp whether razor or rough edge again thats up to you. Just make sure they are able to do the job.

Shooting
learn to shoot in every position possible kneeling, lying on you belly ect. Only shoot at animals within your effective shooting range. Im not going to tell you what that is as that is up to you to decide and everyones effective shooting range is different. Only shoot at animals that offer ethical shooting positions. Its not worth having a wounded animal on your mind.

Hunting
I use a wind feather tied on to my bowstring with some dental floss and i tie a marobou feather onto the string you can pick these up at any flytying store.
Hunt with the wind in your face.
Get a pair of soft soled shoes for stalking so you can feel what under your feet so you arn't breaking sticks ect.
Relax when your in the bush. What i mean by that is when coming into a good spot SLOW DOWN!!! stop and look for 5min then take two steps and repeat.
Be careful not to get to close to an animal because then it gets really hard to draw on a animal without him spotting you.
Hunting isnt a compition its only between you and the animal your hunting dont get caught up in how many animals your mate shot.

Thats all i can think of at the mo. Hope this helps. Contract 4 would love to have a yarn with you one day.

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Learn for your own mistakes. If you miss a shot ect as yourself why? So you don't repeat it again. If your really smart you will learn off other people's mistakes.

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

Ndoda

Reply #28 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Best thing I've learnt is that if you get into a warm area with a bit of sign, nock an arrow. If you do, you may not need it. If you don't, you will definitely need it.

Greg

IP Logged

Judd
Just Joined

Crack on

Reply #29 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Learn how to use the katabatic(current going down) and anabatic(going up) winds, such a small wind that takes your sent or an animals.  All depends on season, but during winter from 1am to 10/11am, hunt going up stream to your area of interest(wind coming down), from 10/11am ie when the winds are going up, look to advance down stream, of course this depends on your quarry and there habits...summer time earth and ocean get warmer earlier and so you get 1-3hrs less of wind coming down.  North vs south face and what the terrain is will alter a few things, but this is something to help others out with...even on a very still day, there is still air currents, use a lighter to tell you very quickly what way its going-take note of it, where you are and what time of day.  For an area you hunt a lot, you'l develop a good appreciation of air currents when there isnt a main wind....plus if you use a dog this is essential to make the most of the dog.
Air is always moving, and so is your sent, the longer your in an area even when still, the more your sent will drift and spread

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards