Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Bowhunting tips and tricks (Read 34918 times)
Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Bowhunting tips and tricks
Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
DONE wrote on Mar 25th, 2012 at 8:57am:
That does sound like a good idea! Maybe you could add that to the thread with tips and tricks I read somewhere...

OK I will kick it off, I am sure there's heaps to share

Cut a slit on the inside wrist of your release aid hand of your camo glove (such as the Stoney Creek fingerles gloves, I hunt with these always). This give a straight course to thread your release aid strap through, meaning the glove doesn't interfere with the release aid at all, and no changes need to be made when wearing/not wearing the glove.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Re: Bowhunting tips and tricks
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Cover your metal zippers with a camo duct tape that doesn't jingle against the zip flies. Silent clothing, things that have friction you will want quiet, like trouser legs, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh
I have had an idea that I am going to implement shortly, and that is to get a small snuffer bottle filled with flour and attach it to my crossbow and use it to gauge the wind direction, (using lighters may be too loud and it's not always cold enough to use your breath). Also the two ultimate slings for bows and crossbows are right here: http://www.stringsling.com/stringsling.htm

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Unscented talcum powder will be better than flour.

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Sounds good, cheers mate.

IP Logged

Kiwibowman

I Love Bowhunting !

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2012 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Actually a better wind checker is odourless foot powder, it is very fine and works a treat !!!

IP Logged

dalgo

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:21am
Print Post  
If you are bringing in a roaring stag, roar facing away from him when he gets close. That makes it harder for him to pinpoint your position as he will think you are further away. With a bit of luck he'll then walk right past you.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews Remington and
Nikon

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:37am
Print Post  
With a bit more luck he won't!!!!

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
DONE wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:29pm:
Cover your metal zippers with a camo duct tape that doesn't jingle against the zip flies. Silent clothing, things that have friction you will want quiet, like trouser legs, obviously you're not going bow hunting in pvc, are ya.  Huh
I have had an idea that I am going to implement shortly, and that is to get a small snuffer bottle filled with flour and attach it to my crossbow and use it to gauge the wind direction, (using lighters may be too loud and it's not always cold enough to use your breath). Also the two ultimate slings for bows and crossbows are right here: http://www.stringsling.com/stringsling.htm

I just use a bit of cotton thread tied to my riser, just above my sight. Works a treat.

kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Never figured out why anyone would need to buy wind detecting powder. Smoke or wet your finger. Everyone gives deer to much credit. They smell humans everyday. I believe its movement or sound that spooks them the most.

IP Logged

contract4

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Jimbag wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Never figured out why anyone would need to buy wind detecting powder. Smoke or wet your finger. Everyone gives deer to much credit. They smell humans everyday. I believe its movement or sound that spooks them the most.

Im with you on this one as well. Ive never worried about the wind to much for smell. I take wind into account more for it carrying my sound to it than my smell. I had 7 deer stand right next to me one day. The closest was about 6 inches from me. Im sure they would have been able to smell me at that distance but they never spooked. I was motionless and they just slowly walked away.

IP Logged

HeinB
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
kimjon wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
I just use a bit of cotton thread tied to my riser, just above my sight. Works a treat.

kj

+1, take some of your mrs's sewing thread and divide it in half. Shows you the wind direction perfectly when there is so little wind you can hardly feel it.

The benefits of sunscreen has been proved by scientists, the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

IP Logged

L0ki

A pheasant plucker really.

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Too much credit? Smell humans every day? You guys need to stop hunting on deer farms then =P

If they smell you they know what you are - say goodbye. It's over. Fin.
If they see you they are pretty sure they know what you are - good luck, you'll need it.
If they hear you they know where you are, and will be on high alert - again good luck with that.

When moving quietly and carefully enough though the bush (to avoid being heard and seen) even the faintest tail wind will ruin your stalk. Cotton or a wet finger won't pick that up. Strong wind is obvious anyway. And also light wind swirls in the bush. Smoke? Lmfao. Wind checker works... It's odorless, quick, sensitive, and the Surgeon General has no issues with it.

My limited experience (backed up by the experience of those I have learnt from).

IP Logged

DONE
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
EXACTLY. It's bowhunting, not a walk down the fence line, and I cant speak for anyone else, but i am not bagging game every weekend, and need all the tips I can get.

IP Logged

kimjon
Forum Font

Make an effort, not an
excuse

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I'll be the first to say I know f@#k all about bow hunting, its all completely new to me, I've only just picked it up over the last year and only take the bow out for a hunt once in a blue moon. However I'd like to think I know a thing or two about hunting in general?

When I was stalking in Scotland back in 2003-2004 I was paired up with a (then) 56 year old stalker who had only ever had one job in his life...as a stalker. He was a master deer hunter, shooting his quota of one deer per day for the last 40years. Quick math on that would estimate 40 x [365-104(weekends)]= over 10,000 deer he would have shot! I spent several months hunting with him and learnt more in this time than I had in a life time of hunting.

Basically wind is 100% the most important thing to consider when deer hunting. If they smell you, then its game over!

Movement, silhouette and sound are important, but they are way less important than wind.

kj

IF WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO EAT CUTE FLUFFY ANIMALS, THEN WHY ARE THEY MADE OUT OF MEAT?

IP Logged

gremlins

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
HeinB wrote on Mar 29th, 2012 at 7:27pm:
+1, take some of your mrs's sewing thread and divide it in half. Shows you the wind direction perfectly when there is so little wind you can hardly feel it.

+2
a short piece of cotton with a little down feather tied to the bottom in my pocket,,,works awesome and cost nothing, minimal maintenance

HOYT ALPHAMAX 32

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards