Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lake Sumner access (Read 5514 times)
12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Lake Sumner access
Feb 10th, 2012 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I wouldnt mind doing a reccy trip trip into Lake Sumner, more just to see an old area i used to hunt in, than actually hunt it.
I've heard all sorts of stories about the gate round the side of the lake being permanantly locked (which wasn't even there last time i was in Sumner)

Can anyone tell if you are still able to drive to the swing bridge over the Hurunui, above the top end of the lake like we used to be able to?. Or has this area been all locked up to vehicle access?

IP Logged

dtchch
Forum Font

Re: Lake Sumner access
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
As far as I know the gate is still there. It's sort of around the side of Loch Katrine, so you are probably best to park at the lake and walk from there. So it's a fair way from the locked gate to the swingbridge
Mountain bikes may be a better option.

Wish they'd settle this  Roll Eyes

Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua
Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

IP Logged

Ian
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:36am
Print Post  
was in there late last year the gate is locked I did see two vehicles unlock/relock gate and go in,I spoke to farmer and he said you can walk but didn't want any vehicles-quads-bikes-push bikes in there,hope this helps,DOC likes it locked as it keeps everybody out.

IP Logged

stu#71
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Access is currently "in negotiation" with the station mgr and Hurunui District Council.  Until that's sorted you can only get 4wd vehicles to Katrine and walk.

IP Logged

Gofish270

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
The gate has now been shifted & access is con$rolled by the runholder. (Ted Phipps / Lakes Sta$ion.

Scroll down the below link:
http://www.hurunui.govt.nz/services/roads-and-footpaths/unsealed-roads/

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Total Tosser

Loch Katrine and Lake Sumner Access Gate

The Council has been advised that the locked gate between Loch Katrine and Lake Sumner has been relocated approximately 500m north and is now on Crown pastoral lease land, not the legal (Council controlled) road.

Pedestrian access is still available.  Boat access is via the canal.  Please refer any enquiries regarding the gate to the Lakes Station Partnership.

It would totally different if I put a 9 wire fence across SH1 at Rolleston. I'd be in cuffs in a couple of mins, but Mr Phipps can do as he pleases! Tosser

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Gofish270

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Agree, but remember that our Chief Justice Sian Elias & her hubbie are equal tossers as they are the majority shareholders of the station and let him do whatever he likes. DOC have walked away from the issue and left it with the Hurunui Council.
I understand that there were discussions/negotiations regarding the current track to allow public access through to Home Bay (top SW corner of Sumner) but the station hate DOC with a vengeance and may have just been jerking everyone around for the fun of it.
The fletchers are neither public or conservation spirited people so really don't give a damn, and live in the north island so local feeling means nothing.

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Here's a Cadastral Map of the area.
The "yellow" line indicates public or "paper" roads, now refered to as Unformed Legal Roads.

Where the "paper" road lies is marked in purple on this map.

Here's the description of your rights of access to paper roads or ULR's

Here's the link to the info above.
You will have to click that you've read the disclaimer (this may be important if any info is inaccurate i supose)
http://wams.org.nz/wams/index.aspx

-Once the page loads click on FAQ's (down the bottom of the page under the map)
-Then click on Unformed Legal Roads

IP Logged

Gofish270

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
To clarify - the current track doesn't follow the paper road so the authorities believe that Phipps is entitled to put a locked gate across it.  The paper road crosses a gully which doesn't really provide vehicle access.
Thats why DOC & the HDC have tried to negotiate a solution.
Phipps is not stopping foot or cycle traffic.

IP Logged

MHunta
Forum Font

famous beer hunter

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
if the track does not follow the legal road then yes, Phipps can put a gate on the track where it is not on the road.
this implies however that somewhere his fence crosses the legal road - it must do else he would have big whole in the fence and no need for the gate. you are legally entitled to drive along the paper road (gps needed probably) and then cut down the fence where it impedes passage along the legal road. I consider the bit on the WAMs site about not damaging private property to be politically motivated ass covering - if a fence appeared accross any 'real road' you would have a hard job complaining about damage to wire when it was cut.

every firearm is loaded
point firearms in  safe direction
Load only when ready to shoot
Identify your target
Check firing zone
no booze or drugs

IP Logged

stu#71
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
So what I thought was gonna happen, has happened.  Station Manager moves gate back to the boundary of "his" land.  That's fine.

But next question is: is the Council going to make good the access along the ULR (paper road) so access to our RHA by us mere mortals is regained?

I heard that DOC were going to so this, have they changed their minds?  Are they still on this forum? 

Or do I need to write the the Council again (which seems to be a complete waste of time as I am still waiting a response from HDC from my last correspondence to them)

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
note the other yellow road up to lake mason, which Phipps charges $80 to let you drive on.

Maybe someone should take it to court.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Gofish270

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
FYI Lake Mason is on Lake Taylor Station - its David & Rosemary Gunn that charge to use their track to Mason. That track goes over the saddle at the southern end of Mason, nowhere near the paper road.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards