Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic War on Fleas (Read 2598 times)
Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

War on Fleas
Dec 27th, 2011 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Hi Ethos

firstly, thanks for your online help to me and many others through 2011, its a great service you offer and even remotely you have been spot on with the diagnostics you have provided. I realise theres nothing to substitute seeing the animal, but it really is a great help.

I am wanting to really beet the shit out of my compounds flea population.

My 6 dogs share 3 large kennels with runs, that are themselves within a larger approximate 150sqm compound. I have a layer of sand over most of the bottom to make drainge easy and pick up of crap. Kennels at this time of year are simply wooden floored.

The fleas however are here in numbers and are laughing at frontline and other stuff that usually keeps em in check. With 6 mutts as well and some good sized ones its expensive stuff.

I want to give the whole area a massive shakedown. I change the sand once a month anyway ( its only about 3cm depth average ) and am due to do so in the next week.

At the same time I want to bomb six shades of shit out of the area, kennels, walls, nooks and crannies, everything. What can I spray everywhere that will help? I use to like asuntol but apparently you can't get it anymore? all this stuff on the shelves these days seems to eco friendly, but basically gets laughed at by the bloodsuckers.

If anyone else in addition to ethos has any suggestions that would be awesome

i really want to nuke them mate. I don't mind regular applications or if its only short term, but do want them gone to the best of my ability.

cheers again for all your help.

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Re: War on Fleas
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Hi Aunty, you're welcome
There are a lot of options for treating the dogs themselves but like you say treating the environment can be as necessary and trickier to achieve safely.

For the kennels and runs, I have seen "Permoxin" used very successfully in warmer climates- its a concentrate you can make up and spray , repeat in a few weeks as needed. Being a synthetic pyrethrin dogs have a good tolerance to it, but it can break down over time in sunlight or heavy rain. Its used in horses as well as being able to spray on the dogs weekly-so you might be able to track it down through farm/horse suppliers if local vets dont have it. It also works against ticks.

Depending on budget, I would recommend Frontline plus on the dogs themselves though- it can last 2-3 months against fleas from a single application (1 month for ticks) and is a more potent treatment on the animals themselves.

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 8:46am
Print Post  
thanks mate.

I reckon the frontline plus products are as weak as south island beer - I always use the next dog size up as well - ie, medium dogs get large dog dose. Either that or its just a bad year for the critters. Will common supermarket disinfectant sprayed everywhere nuke them?

Any pointers on where I would buy this stuff that you recommend?

Have they stopped selling asuntol?

(oops sorry accidentally added my post to yours - fixed now Smiley)
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2011 at 11:21pm by »  

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Bullseye
Forum Font

Gods creatures taste bludy
gud in bread

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Dec 27th, 2011 at 12:52am:
Hi Ethos

firstly, thanks for your online help to me and many others through 2011, its a great service you offer and even remotely you have been spot on with the diagnostics you have provided. I realise theres nothing to substitute seeing the animal, but it really is a great help.

+1

Feel free to correct me if im wrong, flee's have a 6 week egg cycle from lay to hatch.
In and around my kennel I use Ripcord (silver tin not the watered down blue plastic bottle version) get it from farmlands or the likes for $80/500ml dont read the label just add 20ml/litre of water and for farks sake dont breath it in when spraying it!

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
I think Asuntol is off the market, Ripcord is a synthetic pyrethrin - use with due care tho like Bullseye says.
Flea resistance to a product like frontline is less likely than continual reinfection from the environment. You could swap to Advantage, Advocate or Revolution if you wanted to try a different active spot on just in case.

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Thanks guys, will give it a crack and report next week - much appreciated

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Perhaps if you stopped sleeping with them may help, Just a thought

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
you maybe confusing fleas with crabs Grin but thank you for your detailed response and helpful suggestion

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
get rid of the sand for a few months.
ripcord the whole area, use a slightly higher concentrate and keep the dogs off the place for a day... take them hunting.
keep the worming and frontline/advantage current, i use the stuff that lasts a month, get the bigger amounts and divide up to dose the smaller dogs, works out cheaper.
i treat again on the 3rd week and it seems to have more of an effect, i'm not that keen to put the stuff on that lasts 3 months myself.
i also try and keep the lawns low as and lime it  regulary

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Bullseye
Forum Font

Gods creatures taste bludy
gud in bread

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Kawhia wrote on Dec 28th, 2011 at 6:28pm:
get rid of the sand for a few months.
ripcord the whole area, use a slightly higher concentrate and keep the dogs off the place for a day... take them hunting.
keep the worming and frontline/advantage current, i use the stuff that lasts a month, get the bigger amounts and divide up to dose the smaller dogs, works out cheaper.
i treat again on the 3rd week and it seems to have more of an effect, i'm not that keen to put the stuff on that lasts 3 months myself.
i also try and keep the lawns low as and lime it  regulary

Just be careful when diluting as over doing it can have a reverse effect at times.
Thought I was being a good bastard mixing up a nice strong brew when spraying mates places but they ended up having more flies than ever until I went back and re-sprayed using 20ml/ltr!!
Cost me but learnt the lesson.

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 1:17am
Print Post  
I might have to try the Ripcord... The Old girl must have a flee pit wherever she sleeps (she doesn't get locked away) as she always has some on her and she has frontline plus on her ,

Lylee pics the odd one off the old girl but frontline plus keeps hers in check even with leaving her doses twice the recomended times between lots....

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Bullseye wrote on Dec 28th, 2011 at 11:19pm:
Just be careful when diluting as over doing it can have a reverse effect at times.
Thought I was being a good bastard mixing up a nice strong brew when spraying mates places but they ended up having more flies than ever until I went back and re-sprayed using 20ml/ltr!!
Cost me but learnt the lesson.

i got the rentokil contrator to supply me with the proper stuff and followed his advise... it worked and have a plus side on reduced flies and spiders around the house..

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Dec 28th, 2011 at 6:20pm:
you maybe confusing fleas with crabs Grin but thank you for your detailed response and helpful suggestion

I was just thinking of the dogs health Cheesy

IP Logged

HelenMc

Gus

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Try diatomaceous earth - food grade quality.

It is a natural substance - Diatomaceous Earth is not an earth, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS.
Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical, by puncturing the insect's exoskeleton and absorbing the moisture in their bodies. It desiccates the bugs. Ticks, fleas, bed bugs - maybe even those crabs  Wink

Google it if you want more information.  And it is easily bought in NZ.

Body Work for Pets and People

http://www.evolutionary.co.nz/Animals.html
IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Please excuse my ignorance, but do we need to carry out flea treatment on the dogs if there is no history/or no sign of fleas???

We've never had them at the place I'm living now, and on the farm Dad spent years getting on top of them, now they're "gone".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards