Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Dutch/camp oven cooking (Read 20773 times)
PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Re: Dutch/camp oven cooking
Reply #30 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I love my camp oven. I have a fire most weekends and have a truck brake drum nearby. I chuck coals (embers) in there and sit the camp oven on top. Bloody awesome, especially mutton neck chops, onion, mushrooms, wine etc. 50% fat but they are f**ken good.

IP Logged

57jl

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Dutch/camp oven cooking
Reply #31 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Bill999 wrote on Dec 14th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
http://www.dutchovendude.com/

Here is a bit more info, they go into real detail which is handy.

the main thing I have found that usually people dont tell you is its best to keep the meat/veges off the bottom so they dont burn and stick, till I find a good mesh grate with little legs (bout and inch high) Im using a normal dinner plate.

Iv been doing sheep cause its easy when there a real fatty meat to get it right, and putting a little water in the bottom so the veges dont get too dry.

try peeling green ti tree sticks and put on the bottom of camp oven put your meat and veg on top you can dry roast like that meat will cook in its own juce put tin foil over beef or venison if using gas cook as low as possible as long as you can hear it just sizzling lamb chicken pork are nice  put spuds kumara around or on top when meat half cooked you can then put green veg in last 20 minutes as well  Briscos sell little cake racks that will fit in your camp oven if you don,t want to use green ti tree sticks

don,t kick it shoot it !!
GTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards