Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dutch/camp oven cooking (Read 8207 times)
.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Dutch/camp oven cooking
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 3:35am
Print Post  
12 fresh mutton birds fits into a big camp oven.About twenty minutes on the coals with a shovel full on the lid and fantastic.
We always have a hot red curry from the camp oven on our roar trips. Goes down well.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Gadge

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Bon wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:02pm:
Aye, and if purchasing a new cast iron model it will need seasoning. The  Chinese made ovens are poorly cast, I don't know if any NZ companies still make them but a company in Shepparton ,Victoria.[Aust] cast beautiful ovens in a variety of sizes. Furphy is the brand name. The difference in cooking with a well cast oven and a poorly cast one is huge.

Furphy's closed down their iron foundry over 10 years ago, and the current Furphy branded ovens are made in China too.  There is just one Oz foundry, Billman's, who still make really good camp ovens, http://billmansfoundry.com.au/

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I don't know if it's been mentioned in previous posts above but, if your camp oven is a cast iron one DON'T pour cold water into it if things are looking a bit dry ...... drizzle it over the meat slowly so it preheats before hitting the cast iron or it will crack and be f*cked..... seen a few tossers do this over the years.
Also don't put the campoven straight onto a wet or cold surface when taking off a fire (such as wet grass etc) Wink

I regularly use one of mine at home in the oven to cook stuff like roasts or casseroles and the like (usually the "alumask" aluminium one)
But i've got several to choose from two 12" and one 10" aluminium ones, and a couple of big old cast iron ones

IP Logged

Ilovenorinco
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on Mar 10th, 2012 at 3:35am:
12 fresh mutton birds fits into a big camp oven.About twenty minutes on the coals with a shovel full on the lid and fantastic.
We always have a hot red curry from the camp oven on our roar trips. Goes down well.

mmmmm mutton birds...............

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 12:00am
Print Post  
sorry to dredge up an old thread.
I use mine all the time.
I only wash with hot water and I season it with beeswax when I warm it up to dry it.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:29am
Print Post  
If you buy a new one with the legs on it. Hacksaw them off. The reason being should you bump a leg against something hard,like a rock when lifting your oven off the coals the shock can easily crack or break the cast iron. I've seen a few camp ovens broken this way. For travelling /flying in etc the Bedourie oven developed in Australia for drovers is a handy item. It's made from spun steel.

IP Logged

Bill999
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
nnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeecro poster

yep i go thru phases of bringing it in the kitchen then relagating it to the camping gear

take up a bit much cubbord space so the missus takes it to the garage

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Mine spends half its life sitting on top of the wood burner.....roasting joints/stews/cooking apples (29c/kg@P&S!!!!!) the list goes on.......
But then I don't have elecy to cook on, so it gets a fair hammering, and I say you can't beat them. Have about 100kg worth of cast iron Poitje Pots. Great things for cooking with. 3 legged ones included Wink

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #23 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I cut up some bunnies and a couple of onions mushrooms (if I found them) and a jar of butter chicken in mine and cook it slow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
ours in kitchen cupboard half filled with oil, perfect for deep frying fish patties and the like. the lid just so happens to fit our 2 wee cast skillets too so really handy.

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #25 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I agree with the taste of dutch ovens. When I was fencing i'D ferret around the cockies place/shearers quarters, usually find the base but not the lid, I think the previous fencer used the lids for foots!! But if you biff in a hind quarter of mutton/goat etc, cover with water, sprinkle the secret recipe, (usually maggi soups!) veg's. The fire should best  be embers, scrape a posse in centre & place camp oven, cover with embers & toodle off. I cooked a young 1/4 of pig in it once & when I came home from fence line.... man even after all these years the memory of the taste was Michelin star ++ Must admit never tried bread, think thats the mark of the pro....!

sometimes i sits & thinks, & sometimes i just sits. never miss a good chance to shut-up
when your dead you don't know your dead. All the pain is felt by others. Same thing happens when your stupid!

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #26 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I am quite hard of hearing, one time I was down the Wairarapa hunting with a couple of mates. We stoped for a bite to eat, one of my mates said ssssh I hear a bee. A BEE I said, A bee they both whispered with a glare. Why do we have to be quiet for bees?. No a bee the whispered with some anger.
Then I heard a squeal and some oinks.
Pigs I yelled bringing my gun up to my shoulder to see a pig jumping over a ditch pulled trigger ( yes I shot a flying pig). Turns out they heard the pigs ages ago and were saying pigs not bees.
Anyway we gutted the pig and cut it's head off and the whole thing fitted in a camp oven. We put it on a grill in the oven to try and roast it but all the meat fell off it so we made the most tender pork stew.
That was a goid feed.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
whats a Dutch camp oven??

only ever knew them as camp Ovens

cant live in the bush without one.

used to be in the NZFS huts but had to be locked away. otherwise got stolen by hunters/trampers

Only way to cook venison, roast pork  in the bush, or bake bread, other stuff etc

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I 'THINK' the term Dutch oven is meant to be applied to a cast iron camp oven that has a deeply dished cast iron lid perimeter that can hold lots of coals to provide heat inside from both the top and bottom.
Being off grid our big log burner sports our camp ovens for about 7 months of the year, and I'd swear the food they prepare tastes nicer than anything just bunged into the oven, be that electric or gas. Hard to do a crispy roast though. But pot roasts, stews, soups,scones,fruitcakes,bread, they are a very handy bit of kit. Smiley
In Africa they have these cauldron shaped camp ovens, called Poitje pots that stand on three legs. Some of the wood they have there burns a bit like old man manuka, and they'll put on a casserole of tough old meat cuts with lots of gristle and sinews, and have three long (3-4m long) branches, say 75-100mm dia, burning all meeting in the middle under the pot....just glowing away like an old  100 watt bulb. They will burn away like that for the entire day. Any time someone walks by, they just tap the ends of the logs with their feet and push them a bit further in towards the pot centre. Makes for an awesome feed, and a good excuse to hang around yarning all day in the shade of the trees waiting for the cooking to be finished. Some beer may also be consumed Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards