Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serious new fish pathogen found (Read 8601 times)
Mike H
Forum Font

Re: Serious new fish pathogen found
Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:55pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Mike H wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:24am:
Personally I think the Federation are using this to grandstand their group in an effort to gain more recognition. Its a shame they've gone off half-cocked at the expense of F & G.

Anyway, here's the latest from Southland F & G:

·         Fish & Game has been working closely with MAF on this issue and is very concerned about any new aquatic diseases or organisms in our environment.

·         We’ve forwarded to MAF a number of reports of sick lamprey that maybe infected with this disease and encourage any river users who observe any lamprey during the day, or any other sick fish, to contact MAF via their 0800 number (0800 80 99 66). 

·         Whilst observations remain anecdotal, it seems likely that infected lamprey have been observed in at least the Aparima, Oreti, Mataura and Clutha rivers and we’re very concerned about the health of this remarkable species. 

·         Internationally, there are two strains of this disease and one has a greater impact on salmonids (trout and salmon) than the other. Whilst it’s early days, the fact that the disease is infecting lamprey suggests that it may be the ‘atypical’ strain, which seems less likely to be an issue for trout or salmon.

·         We understand at this early stage that the ‘typical’ strain is more likely to affect fish that are stressed, such as fish in aquaculture ventures, and is unlikely to affect our healthy wild populations of trout 

·         This disease serves as a timely reminder to check, clean and dry all gear before shifting between waterways

·         We’ve listed an alert notice on our website explaining the likely symptoms of the disease in lamprey and the appropriate action to take if you observe any sick fish.  We’re also investigating emailing all of our licence holders to assist in gathering information for MAF on the extent of the spread of the disease in lamprey.

Mike, our past "robust discussions" aside here... I am really disappointed in your attitude and this post.

For one I have known Ken Sims for a long time and he is not a man to grandstand. He has demonstrated by a long involvement (I believe must be close to 20 or more years as research Officer for the NZFFA) to be someone who stands up and fights sensibly and with much thought for anglers and has done for a very long time without ever asking for recognition that i have seen... even though he thoroughly deserves it..

Secondly it seems while you are a little miffed the NZFFA brought this to the fore initially, your post suggests the need for paranoia here is healthy and they were correct. Huh

Disappointing would be the information to check, clean and dry... that's for didymo Mike... won;t do a damn thing for this.  Shocked

It is important in issues like this that organizations of like mind do not snipe at each other to the expense of the issue. Both have common goals and it really doesn;t do anyone any favors to get snippy about the NZFFA being onto this so early, more so it would be deserving of praise... history would teach us this.

In 1987 the NZFFA was almost defunct... the only impediment to the organizations disbandment  was an anomaly in the rules that required a quorum to disband it and despite two meetings being called to do that they were unable to form that quorum. I heard about this and, having attended my first NZFFA meeting in 1977 (Aged 13) decided this organization was too important to let slip. I visited the Wellington Flyfishers Club (A club I founded in 1982) and addressed the meeting and asked for support with that in mind. The reason being another date had been set to wind up the NZFFA. Fortunately that night Theo Simeonidis was at the meeting and offered his help. An extremely intelligent and skilled man of vast experience within the political world Theo got on board and helped me garner proxy votes and attendees to the meeting to ensure the organisation didn;t die. We essentially took over the NZFFA with Theo as President, my self as secretary and many diligent anglers to serve as north and South island executive. Over the next two years (With Ken Simms now in the role of research officer) the organisation was rebuilt with the help of the angling clubs making up its membership to an organisation so powerful the conservation minister of the day cited them as the second most powerful lobby group in New Zealand for conservation after Forest and Bird.

It was during this time we became aware of the importation to NZ of channel catfish. This had been done in a very underhand manner, for an aquaculture venture in Northland and had been pretty much been given the go ahead by the then Acclimatisation Societies because they believed the information government departments had given them that there were no real threats. However, because of Theo's close ties to many ministerial departments we became aware that the Channel catfish in fact represented a very real and potent threat to our wild fisheries and we set about research to get the required information to establish a case to destroy the fish that were being held in quarantine at the Wallaceville research center. The ensuing fight took 18 months and we eventually won and the fish were destroyed (We all drank whiskey that night) and Acclimatisation Society's had helped the cause... in the last six months of the fight... they thought we were paranoid initially. It was our research officer who compiled much of the same information that helped to nip that thought process in the bud... the same person holds that role today.

Because of that both myself and Theo were apoointed, by the Minister Of Conservation, to sit on the transitional Wellington Fish and Game council and a very healthy, respectful relationship with the NZFFA ensued. (I believe Alan, having been very actively involved with the Wellington Acclimatisation Society, recently moved to Turangi was appointed to the Eastern Council where he served for several terms) I also later served on the Eastern Council.

A lack of such high profile issues over recent years has seen the profile of the NZFFA diminish somewhat but the people involved are all in there with the same cause, work ethic and goals as any of us and the Fish and Game Councils.

The NZFFA serves many purposes, as a stand alone organisation representing the angling clubs of NZ that it can spearhead when statutory requirements prevent Fish and Game from doing so. This has been demonstrated in many of the issues we have all been involved in before (I'm assuming here you have because i doubt if you hadn't you wouldn't see yourself in a healthy enough position to be sniping at people of such experience) such as the Channel catfish, Trout farming, Water Extration, Access and much more. there are things they can take to the press where F&G cannot and this is tangible and has been demonstrated many times.

So... after this little history lesson for you here's the rub... I'm glasd you're on the council, most poeple who have commented on this thread have a long history of just such involvement. It is even possible they know more about the internal workings of such issues, how to fight them, the political dealings which must be done and the need to be extremely prompt in ensuring these things get to the public to ensure Government departments act in a diligent time frame than even you do... maybe not... just saying! Roll Eyes

At the end of the day... the issue, if the pathogen is dangerous then being diligent, being seen to be watching and demanding of action is the way to ensure instant action from a government department in an election year. If it isn't dangerous and its the A-typical pathogen then great... nothing lost... but if anyone was so ego driven they wanted to bitch about who said it first and would rather snipe at a likeminded group for browny points then I could probably be forgiven for thinking they were not completely focused on the goal posts very well, which would lead one to assume they were not serving the license holders very well who ticked their name in the confidence they would do so on their behalf.

Other than that... you're probably right! Cool

I'm sorry if I offended you when I called you stupid! I honestly thought you already knew!
IP Logged

Mike H
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post  
My comments on the grandstanding were inserted based on the way F & G were portrayed in the media as a result of comments by Ken. It came across that they were doing FA when the reality was they were shitting themselves about this issue and were working their butts off in conjunction with MAF.

I'm a supporter of the NZFFA and was very impressed with their submission on the cycleway proposed down the upper Oreti River valley. I'm hopefully going fishing with Dave from the NZFFA when he comes down here to speak at the hearing on this project.

Anyway, the rivers down here have been hit by big floods in the last two weeks. If it is lurking widely amongst the trout then this will show up more so once the floods clear as stressed fish are most affected. Lets hope it isn't as bad as it could turn out to be.

IP Logged

Kiwiken
Forum Guide
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Born to fish

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I owe Ian and the F&G guys down there at the hatchery a big apology, which I offer unreservedly. They were operating in a information vacuum as big as the one we were. Thanks Ian for discussing this with me.

But, the concerns remain. This may be a 'low grade' pathogen, but the next one may not be. It is a new pathogen and there still is no management plan from MAF that I have seen to even figure out how far it has spread.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Benelli boy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #19 - May 31st, 2012 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Lets present a panic scenario now!.........

From what I have seen on this part of the web...Lets just look at why finfish aquaculture makes big money!

To be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards