Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) How To: Add Google Earth Images to Garmin Oregon/Montana 4 FREE (Read 40311 times)
Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Re: How To: Add Google Earth Images to Garmin Oregon/Montana 4 FREE
Reply #60 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Nev wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:31pm:
Kersh

Thet are getting better with each update.

Free LINZ Topo50 Garmin mapsets - raster vs vector.

All credit to LINZ and Mr.Purple.

I won't insert the images here but here they are:
http://iforce.co.nz/i/ry3kfu4g.ebc.jpg - 174KB

True NEV, In fact looking at them again now I'd say they're brilliant.
I've used your GPS version of Mr Purples map and the quality is excellent.

For those that need help, go to this page:
GWProjects
and download NEV's 'LINZ Topo50 with roads' 681mb in the second post
(I won't link it here, cos' these links change and drop out).
Once downloaded, rename it to something less wordy (e.g. 'Topo50')
and copy it to the MicroSD card in your GPS.
Then you just have to enable it in the GPS map settings (Best to turn off the rest for clarity, except DEM Basemap).

Or for the really computer illiterate just buy an SD card from Mr Purple on trademe and get the FREE maps pre-installed, Thus supporting his future efforts!

p.s. NEV, a couple of your links on the page are dead  Sad

Enjoy!

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #61 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately Trailmap stopped working ages ago.  What's the easiest way now to get a Google Earth image suitable for a Garmin GPS?

Please DO NOT send a PM.  Use kiwigps@farmside.co.nz 
xtra & gmail users should check their spam folders if no reply to your normal in-box.
IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #62 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Have you tried a modified version of MOBAC? I've not used it in ages (now use phone), but I think It'll let you save an option for GPS units. You'll need to patch it first though.

I did a How To Here:
(but no one ever used it)  Sad

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #63 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks, no I've not used Mobac at all.  After a few hours Googling etc and getting pretty much over the limitations of Custom Maps anyway (the tile limit and slow screen response) I eventually figured out how to patch the firmware on the 78s GPS so that it could display BirdsEye images downloaded for another GPS - in this case a 64s that comes with a 1 year subscription for BirdsEye.

As the BirdsEye interface is pretty clunky with minimal instructions / support another method was found in SAS.Planet.  This is a Russian based programme, free with an English interface and an English section on the user forum.  This programme is capable of generating the BirdsEye type of file (.jnx) from a wide variety of sources, mainly Europe / US coverage.

For NZ I found that the area of Google Satellite imagery I was trying to download (Big Ben, south west of Lake Taupo) became very blurry over a large area around the mountain so it was unusable.  All other areas on NZ and the world are the normal good detail.  I think they take a dim view of actually downloading their data so will have to try from a different computer / router (guessing here).  The Bing satellite images were not too bad but not evenly coloured so the next was ESRI > Arc.GIS Terrain.  This was an even colour and a good sized area covering about 5km NSEW of Big Ben was converted to .jnx format and loaded to the GPS.  The idea was to show the bush clearings and I hope the data is not too dated. 

Have also downloaded Mobac just now and will look into that further.  Thanks for the tutorial!

10 mins later ... Nokia Satellite and Ovi Sat look darn fine alternatives to Google Satellite!

xtra & gmail users should check their spam folders if no reply to your normal in-box.
IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #64 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony,
Yeah, I did have a play with *.jnx files a couple fo years back, but never really  used them as I didn't have a GPS (still don't really). I was borrowing a mates Oregon 550 (maybe 450?) and making maps for hunting with him. I did have all the jnx file creation sussed, but I needed to patch his firmware to run them, which I wasn't comfortable with in case I screwed his warranty. If it was mine I would have definitely patched it  Wink
I know the jnx file gives you more layers (zoom levels) and more than the poxy 100 tile limit, but can you tell me, are they any quicker to redraw than the google sat imagery custom maps? I might have to revisit then and patch his unit  Roll Eyes.

Mobac is a pretty useful tool, once you get the hang of it. I used it to create full topo maps of the LiNZ Topo50, for both Islands with full zoom levels. It's also very useful for creating maps that are topo up to a certain zoom level, and then switch to Sat imagery once you zoom right in.  Might have to borrow another Garmin and have another play  Cool

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #65 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Yes, the jnx files seem to pan very quickly.  Am downloading more of the SI at the moment so will try it out and time how long it takes to pan from coast to coast at a certain zoom level once the files are on the 64s.

The maximum area that can be downloaded for each tile at their highest quality setting is about 254 sq. km which is about 15,500 images.  The tile file size limit is 233MB. 

The shape of the tile can be a square / rectangle or can be hand drawn with click and drag of the mouse so this is convenient to avoid getting too much ocean.  However the dialogue box does not show the selected size until the hand drawn shape is closed (the end joins up with the start) which is a bit of a nuisance as if the bounded area is too big there's no fine adjustment - you have to redraw it again.

Here's Mt Fell Hut (near Wairau River, South Island) with the Open Project Topo v12 map switched on in BaseCamp:

IP Logged

Dorkus

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #66 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I am really struggling with this. I have downloaded SAS Planet and MOBAC but am having a hard time of it.

I have managed to import the .kml file of the Mangatainoka 2 block from the Helisika website (I am heading in there in a couple of weeks) into SAS Planet to get the boundary and location of the hut. I have also managed to manipulate the opacity and border colours and thickness etc. When I export it to my Garmin 64S as a .jnx file it comes up with "invalid .jnx" and will not show up in the map loading options.

Has anyone had success getting satellite images and overlays onto a 64S? Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #67 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
You need a valid subscription to Garmin Birdseye for *.jnx files to work.
The other option to get them to run is to patch/hack your firmware, then they will run and it won't care where they came from.

JNX Info Here
Some Patcher Info Here   Wink
More Patches / Maps e.t.c  Wink

Remember!......Buy em if you like em! So they can afford development  Cool
No doubt they are already feeling the pinch of waterproof smart phones with better screens and better maps  Lips Sealed
Android : BackCountry Navigator
iPhone : Galileo

Garmin 64/64S JNX Patch : Here

NOTE: THIS WILL STUFF YOUR WARRANTY  Shocked

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #68 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

gMapMaker & OziMapToKMZ are now doing the job for me.
Both are freeware and no need to patch your firmware. If you want to pay a couple of bucks, MAPC2MAPC is more up to date.

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards