Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) How To: Add Google Earth Images to Garmin Oregon/Montana 4 FREE (Read 40309 times)
Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Re: How To: Add Google Earth Images to Garmin Oregon/Montana 4 FREE
Reply #30 - Oct 4th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
That's looking good. Does the 78s suffer the same 'Dark Images' as the 62s? Those screenshots look fine, but so did some from a previous post above that were causing some dark issues.
We've been using the Custom maps with Topo V3 maps, not the free OS ones, but once you're near the correct area, you can just about turn the others off, unless you can't tell if you're walking up or downhill  Smiley

There pretty handy i must say

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #31 - Oct 4th, 2011 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Kersh wrote on Oct 4th, 2011 at 4:08pm:
... Does the 78s suffer the same 'Dark Images' as the 62s?

The 78s screen looks fine, not too dark but I had the back light on full.  Even with the back light off it's OK.  I assume the 78s has the same screen as the 62s - no reason for it to be different.  The images were from Bing - maybe that helps. 

Please DO NOT send a PM.  Use kiwigps@farmside.co.nz 
xtra & gmail users should check their spam folders if no reply to your normal in-box.
IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #32 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Made another couple of maps today - the method is very easy and the Bing maps don't look dark.

First one was a block of the Kaimanawa Forest Park toward the North East - at the end of Clements Mill Road.  The map block is shown by the red border:

I don't know why the border is tilted ... I just drew the border in GE then saved the border, converted it to MapSource format and opened it in MapToaster PC. 

Anyway, by choosing the Bing maps and using the 200m zoom setting in TrailMap a custom map of 25 tiles and 7.6MB resulted.  The custom map has been uploaded to here in case it's of use to anyone else.  There's an awful lot of vegetation in that area so few land features can be seen - like clearings.

Here's a few screen shots from the Oregon 550 which will hopefully be earning it's keep in this area in the next few days.   Underlying map in this case is the Garmin Aust/NZ Topo v3 which behaved very well.  Custom map came on at the 300m scale.

=============================================

2nd map was a farm so here's some screen shots from the 78s, again TrailMap zoom was 200m and maps were Bing.  Custom map switches on at 300m.   Underlying topo map here is MapToaster Mobile:

Thanks again for the tutorial - have been recommending it to others.

xtra & gmail users should check their spam folders if no reply to your normal in-box.
IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I've got another tutorial that I've been meaning to write too.
I've found an easy way to convert the Linz GeoTiff Maps to KML's too. Good for all those Old School boys that are used to looking at those maps as well. Only downside is you're pretty limited to the map tiles the GeoTiff's come in, i.e. BQ31, BQ32 etc etc. I'll try and get it out this weekend.

Glad to be of service  Smiley
Perhaps when I've saved enough coin you can give me discount on a 550  Wink

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #34 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Definitely!   Smiley

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #35 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 11:35am
Print Post  
OK, Bit of an update for you all.

I've been in contact with the author of TrailMap (Nice Guy). I told him of the out of date Google Imagery problems some were experiencing (2007 Images, not 2010). He's updated the Google URL's and re-created the download (Now Beta 2.0), I've been testing it, but thus far can't get it to display any Google images at all...
So, It's either broken, or I've done something wrong while installing it this time.
I've sent him feedback, and suggested that If he could add the Google 'Historic Imagery' slider that'd be awesome. (Some 'most recent' imagery displays clouds in places).

So Until further tests are run, I'd suggest sticking with the previous version.

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #36 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
UpDate No.2
It's all fixed, he e-mailed me back this morning with version 2 (of beta 2), and All the problems seem to have gone. It now runs the most up-to-date images from Google and terrain has returned  Smiley
Nice one Kannan K.

He's also said that he'll add the google 'Historic Imagery' slider in the next release, towards the end of November - December (ish). So that'll be a handy addition too.

It's All good to go. Just uninstall it (If you have it already installed), then go to the download page, grab 2.0 beta and away you go.

Enjoy

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #37 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:50am
Print Post  
The new version has helped a lot thanks.  An area of old data up in the Kaimais is now in high detail in Google which is handy as the Bing version is very cloudy.

I tried making a custom map of the Lincoln (Canterbury) area but the Bing maps were not detailed and Google were too dark.  Even so, tried bulk brightening the Google images with Irfanview but they ended up looking like a patchwork quilt with wildly varying patterns / colours, even for farm land. 

But today have made a quite usable map using Bing in the Glenorchy area.  Here again, the Bing maps are much brighter than the Google version.   This screen shot of the Bing tiles in Google Earth shows how much brighter they are:

Here are a few screen shots from an eTrex 20. 

- The custom map is 36 tiles and 6MB. 
- Used the 100m zoom level in Trailmap.  Thanks again for this easy program and tutorial!
- A yellow track was also made to border the custom map.  This makes it easy for the user to know where the custom map is and the extents without  having to zoom in and pan around.  Made the track (path) in GE, saved then used WinGDB3 to convert and open it in MapSource.  Chose colour and name then sent to the GPS.
- The custom map switches on at the 200m scale.
- The topo map is MapToaster V2, which now has Conservation Estate boundaries (purple lines)

First of all, various zoom levels coming in to the map. 

And here's a few other shots in the area:

The eTrex 20 takes about 5-7 seconds to completely redraw a new screen while within the custom map area.   On a 78s (essentially the same as a 62s) the redraw is quite a bit quicker. 

I made it just as a sample to give the new owner an idea of what is possible on this remarkable new model - under $300!

Update:  The customer was quick to notice that the Bing map was at least 4 years old as there has been a lot of building in the township lately.  Not a big issue for the remote areas of course, just a observation.

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2011 at 6:05pm by kiwitonita »  

IP Logged

camouflaged

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #38 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Can it be done on a Garmin Colorado 400 ?

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #39 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Yes, according to the compatibility page here: Garmin Custom Maps

The underlying topo map is also important if you want to see the contours, fence lines, waterways etc.

IP Logged

Onslow Fisherman
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
T-Rex wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:35pm:
Hi Kersh,

Happy to use my hosting bandwidth for these, links below:

Cheers

My Google Chrome browser couldn't find either of these links.
Jim

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

for hunting season.

Reply #41 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Ah, That's 'cos the links have gone. Dooh!
I've added them to my own 'DropBox' (Cheers Tony @ KiwiGPS for the info).

Try These:

How To Add Google Earth Images to Garmin Units

DEMO Kmz Map File.

Cheers for the heads up  Wink

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Onslow Fisherman
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Kersh wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 1:19pm:
Ah, That's 'cos the links have gone. Dooh!
I've added them to my own 'DropBox' (Cheers Tony @ KiwiGPS for the info).

Cheers for the heads up  Wink

Great, that works. Thanks.
Jim

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Reply #43 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Here's a few shots using the Gary Turner NZ Topo map as the underlying GPS topo map on a 78s (same screen as the 62s).  Taken in the Rankleburn area (between Gore and Balclutha):

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #44 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
There was a firmware update a while back that claims to have fixed the dark google images problem.  Could be worth updating if you are not already on the latest firmware.  Worked on my oregon 300 anyway.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards