Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic bivvy bag (Read 13405 times)
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

bivvy bag
Mar 15th, 2011 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
want some info on what would be the best bivvy bag on the market at present, i sweat a lot so need a good "breather" so im dry in the morn, also what would be the option of a sm fly?

IP Logged

EZDIRECT
Forum Senior

Re: bivvy bag
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Carinthia observer is like a hotel.
Bit heavy but maybe no need for a fly.
Very expensive though.

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
usa military bivvy bag, goretex, cheap on ebay, you wont sweat in it

IP Logged

goldminer

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
just received a new gortex one today.. thanks tax payers!

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Look for a NZ ex-army bivvy bag, they are made out of reflex matarial and were made under a Macpac army contract.

There Macpac quality but they don't sport the Macpac logo, they have plenty of room inside and i'm 187 cm tall, heavy duty, i've never had any water/perspiration buildup inside and i stayed in mine for two days striaght at one stage with the worst of what Fiordland had to offer  Cool

I've also just recently bought a MSR e-bivvy and tested it a little over summer. It's extremely lightweight packing up to a little bigger than a can of coke  Shocked

http://www.moontrail.com/msr-e-bivy-ul.php

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
alpine research goretex bivvy bag is good,  around the $500 mark

IP Logged

MOG

Get out there, hunt it
hard

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I have an excellent Mont Bivvy that has worked really well for me over the years including in the tropical north.
I always use a fly when out with a bivvy bag just in case...

MOG

IP Logged

X R
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 4:28am
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:57pm:
Look for a NZ ex-army bivvy bag, they are made out of reflex matarial and were made under a Macpac army contract.

There Macpac quality but they don't sport the Macpac logo, they have plenty of room inside and i'm 187 cm tall, heavy duty, i've never had any water/perspiration buildup inside and i stayed in mine for two days striaght at one stage with the worst of what Fiordland had to offer  Cool

I've also just recently bought a MSR e-bivvy and tested it a little over summer. It's extremely lightweight packing up to a little bigger than a can of coke  Shocked

http://www.moontrail.com/msr-e-bivy-ul.php

go with this one its awesome and good value for money,may not pack up as small as some others but not really a big deal Smiley

IP Logged

blacksheep

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Hi, we haven't really made a lot of noise about these yet, but we are now making our Alpine cocoon bivvy bag with eVent fabric...worth putting on the short list!
http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/tents/11900.html?SID=6e7af8...

**disclosure**blacksheep=moutonnoir&moutonnoir=macpac&fairydown..I am Cam from Macpac

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:53am
Print Post  
mmmmm looks nice.

gotta love that eVent fabric but would've loved a hoop pole like your older bush cocoon.

Hey Blacksheep, out of general interest why is the nikau green fabric slightly heavier?

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, the bush cocoon was a fabulous product. Why did you drop it Blacksheep? Creed, can you please post that pic again of you in your one? It shows its best features (and probably yours).

Cheers

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  

dunno bout my best features!

(I use a small homemade fly with this when the weather is nasty.)

GTalk  
IP Logged

blacksheep

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:04pm:
Yes, the bush cocoon was a fabulous product. Why did you drop it Blacksheep? Creed, can you please post that pic again of you in your one? It shows its best features (and probably yours).

Cheers

Well, it wasn't so much dropped as it was overlooked in purchases? if that makes sense...
When we bought the business we aimed initially for continuity, and the bush cocoon wasn't in the range at that time, and consequently we haven't been ensuring it has been remade as needed.  I agree that it is a great product, and I don't think it will be gone for ever..
Creed, this production run of Alpine cocoons was made from the same fabrics we used for our rainwear, and we wanted a mix of lightweight and bright options for alpine/emergency use and also a heavier / more robust model for more regular usage...we simply chose some colours and fabric weights from the jacket range to see what customers preferred in this, a small "test" production run..the colours and fabric will be resolved based on what the sales show is preferred.

**disclosure**blacksheep=moutonnoir&moutonnoir=macpac&fairydown..I am Cam from Macpac

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
thanks Cam . . . understood.

I like neutral colours!  For emergency use (spotting from the air) I've always thought a pack liner might do it . . . the rest of the time I don't so much like the beauty of the landscape marred with bright yellow etc. camp blobs!

For alpinists/climbers might be different.

GTalk  
IP Logged

yawn
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I borrowed a mates cocoon a while back and was great so bought one off TM, his was the dark colour inside but mine is an off white and its not quite as good as far as condensation goes and its a touch lighter. Streaks ahead of the vaude bivy tent I had before though.that was like trying to sleep in  a steam sauna.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards