Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Best Lightweight 2 Man Tent (Read 13125 times)
Ron

Red Deer Forever

The Best Lightweight 2 Man Tent
Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Looking for a good 2man( or 1 plus) tent and fly small enough and light enough to easily fit in pack . Rcomendations, please.

IP Logged

Eccles
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The Best Lightweight 2 Man Tent
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
All the different manufacturers call their tents " lightweight" or "ultralight" but they all weigh about 2kg unless you buy the cheep ones, then they start to weigh 3 or 3.5kg for a " lightweight"
When i hunt lightweight i use a small fly and nylon bivy-bag with a total weight of just under .5kg
That system works great if you are camping wherever you stop hunting each night. If I'm going to be camped for a week in one place i take a Gore-Tex bivy ( weights another kg ) or a 2man 3 or 4 season Macpac tent.
The one pictured is a microlite bivvy (435gms from memory) by Outdoor Research and works great, if its going to rain hard though i would use a bigger fly.

IP Logged

ProudKiwi
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Get in touch with Coxy on the forum and ask him for a price on the MSR Carbon Reflex.

I see your in OZ so shippings going to be bugger all cause he's there too and they will tick ALL of your boxes.

"If I die dont let my wife sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them."

IP Logged

Vanman
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Have a look around for tents with a silicone nylon flysheet too, they are lighter and stronger than tents with standard PU coated nylon.

I use a Vau De tent, but it is a generous 2 person, small 3 person tent and weighs the same as a small 2 person job.

Who knew having kids was soooo expensive??!

IP Logged

ANTSMAN
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
huntech biv,= 1kg more or less wincluding pole and pegs,= half ish the weight of everything else ive seen,,,

IP Logged

welshy
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:30pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

stu#71
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Try Macpac or MSR - good brands.  Some great prices on the Macpac range currently...

IP Logged

2ndtimearound

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Be careful with the entry point. On some of these tents its impossible to get in & out in rain, without your gear getting thoroughly wet.
Turns out buying a tent that you can pitch the fly first (thus keeping interior dry in rain) is invaluable. If looking in the shop don't trust the salesperson's word, have them put up the tent while you observe to see how easy it is put up and an problems you might spot. Sadly I am in the process of buying another tent as I didn't follow my own advice. Kiwi make a tent called Mayhem which this month is on special for half the usual advertised price. It's multipitch, reasonable weight, good size and cheap!

IP Logged

Ron

Red Deer Forever

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Good advice 2ndtimearound.Thanks.

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Macpac Minaret. Rather cosy for two, but there's not may other tents I'd want to be in when it really buckets down. Goes up with the fly on (nice and dry inside) in 1 minute with 4 pegs.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
huntech brand fly,goretex biv bag and ground sheet are hard to beat ..suck if you have insects around tho..

IP Logged

NorthCoast

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:51am
Print Post  
One of these http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/en_IN/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/... just arrived in the post. Nice and lite, easy to put up. the inside clips to the outside fly so you can put it up in the rain with out getting it all wet. Pretty sure you could just unclip the inside and take just fly and poles if you wanted to cut down on weight.  Cool

IP Logged

FlinchedAgain
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
The Macpac multipitch system is great in rough weather, it doesnt get better IMO

IP Logged

Battson
Forum Font

7mm RemMag

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
lowbox wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:14pm:
Macpac Minaret. Rather cosy for two, but there's not may other tents I'd want to be in when it really buckets down. Goes up with the fly on (nice and dry inside) in 1 minute with 4 pegs.

Yeah the smaller MacPac ones are REAL cosy!  Cheesy
Spent 8 days in my one, I never thought me an The Ginger 1 would end up so close...  Lips Sealed

Glad to hear you rated it in the rain, I've had snow and frost - but no real rain test yet. It's going to be my staple in Fiordland, so hope you're right! Grin

IP Logged

Bushhunter

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I have had the MSR hubba hubba for years and can't say a bad thing about it. They are fantastic. They are light, easy to put up and move, strong (has handled some serious wind) and warm enough. I have only once used them in winter and handled the snow fine, though I am sure if you were winter hunting a lot them would be warmer more suited models out there.

I have used it in the bush and tops. Great product. They are fine for two people with room under each vestibule for a pack.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards