Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Pests of the Mackenzie (Read 5524 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Pests of the Mackenzie
Mar 6th, 2011 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Theres plenty of them out there.   In a nights shooting its not uncommen to shot all of the species and several of each. As most of them feed on our primary pest, the lowly wabbit , the predator pests are doing well and looking fat and healthy. Numbers are high.

Formost our rabbits. They are very fat this year, bigger than ever, and in healthy numbers.

The odd wave of RCD thins them out a bit , and its noticeable when its gone through. Other predators are living the high life at the moment though. Ferrets and wild cats are in high numbers and looking all very healthy.
This one got caught out in the open and took shelter in a scrape. Didn't help it much, I had time..

They are cute little things , but the rabbits hate them. I can sometimes hear the rabbits, screaming,  down a hole after one of these little cuties has gone in ..

Then there is the tiger of the plains, this little monster is just a kitten really , but the big Toms get up to a fair size and are as fit and lean as can be. so much for our household pets and all the money we spend on them. These guys survive on rabbits, frogs, lizards etc and are a fierce predator.. They are elusive too, not wishing to hang around much..

Then there is the Hedgehog. The scavenger and eater of anything, and I mean anything. Whatever they can find gets eaten. From small prey to cadavers. And there are thousands of them out there. They gather round the rabbit guts, coming from far and wide. Fast little buggers too, but not faster than a bullet.

last but not least our biggest pest. The Wallaby. They seem to prefer the greener and finer growth often found in the same areas that rabbit prefer. They grow to quite a size too, bigger than one would think. This buck was a far size, my boot is a good scale.

and another one, bit smaller

Its a good thing to make sure they are very dead before grabing a hold of one. The size and sharpness of the hoof not to be underestimated.

or the fore paw.

I like to check them for young, but Picking up the Joeys is not recommended.

I forgot the Hare which roams freely and at certain time of the year is present in big concentrations down in the feed paddocks below scrub and tussock. I call those areas hare magnets and by going back night after night to the same area one can thin them out considerably, to just a few, they dont come back as fast as the rabbits.  Its possible to shoot dozens in a night.

Two hours shooting, 86 hares, gutted and ready to be processed.

No animals were harmed in the makeing of this movie.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:29am by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Re: Pests of teh Mackenzie
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Awesome pics Headcase.

Like your one with rabbits hanging on fence... I lay mine on ground (in winter they freeze to ground), only once a month I come back and missing some. Usually the culprit is found nearby!!!

Im jealous you get to shoot roos as part of your job. Im yet to even SEE one in NZ let alone shoot one...

SSShhh send me a few joeys so I can "re-home" them. (I know the rules, im just being cheeky!!)

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Nice shot on the ferret  Smiley Is that a recent hunt?? as there seems to be a bit of grass growing  Huh

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
DUCKSLAYER wrote on Mar 6th, 2011 at 7:13pm:
Nice shot on the ferret  Smiley Is that a recent hunt?? as there seems to be a bit of grass growing  Huh

Plenty of growth, the pics from a couple of nights back.

I lay the rabbits on the ground too on a big block Rabbithunter. Problem is if the fog comes in. Had to buy a GPS to solve that one..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Dundee
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Pests of the Mackenzie
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Great pics Headcase.So many furry cuddly critters in this country but you fullas down South get the best of them Grin

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Nice pics headcase!
There were heaps of wild cats around, when I was down there a year ago saw 3-4 near lake benmore, but didn't have the gun and they were near campers and campsites Sad
Thanks for the post Wink.

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
willowgrub wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:58am:
Nice pics headcase!
There were heaps of wild cats around, when I was down there a year ago saw 3-4 near lake benmore, but didn't have the gun and they were near campers and campsites Sad
Thanks for the post Wink.

Sure are, heaps of them. Shot them all and kick em down a rabbit burrow.  Cheesy

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
How much do you get for them, do the skins get processed as well, not a bad resource just a pitty the damage they do.

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I shot 4 cats down the river this morning,befor sun rise,didnt like a 308 pill,splat Grin.Left the bunnies for you guys,not great numbers tho.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:34pm:
I shot 4 cats down the river this morning,befor sun rise,didnt like a 308 pill,splat Grin.Left the bunnies for you guys,not great numbers tho.

There shouldnt be any at all. It had a major poisening op just at the beginning of last winter. SFA good that does when the rabbit fences both sides are left with a hole every 20 meters and both ends of poisening area are full of rabbits and open for them to reinhabite the poisened area. This is what makes me angry at ecans "only poisening works approach" A waste of public money, in this case, and just another oppurtunity to put that money in someones pocket.

The prefeed , done with 2 days of intensive flying was dropped a day before snow to low levels was forcast, 20cm of snow fell,  and no follow up work was done after the poisen op. . I drove down there after the poisening and there was a good strike but still could see rabbits moving around. In another year there will be just as many rabbits in the river bed as before. 

Its a case of spread carrots, bugger off, and collect money.

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:03am
Print Post  
neat post headcase. the claws on thev roos look pretty nasty allright!
you havnt put wereami in the list yet? Grin Grin

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:14am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:03am:

Grin Grin

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
chris wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:03am:

We can tolerate low numbers. If they start to get a foothold I imagaine cyanide will be effective.  Grin

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:56am:
We can tolerate low numbers. If they start to get a foothold I imagaine cyanide will be effective.  Grin

yep, easy species to target, just find there watering hole and poison it! Wink Grin Grin

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Or look for a tripod in the evening on a knoll...

Great post Headcase....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards