Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Out damn trout – poison them I say! (Read 8903 times)
Kiwiken
Forum Guide
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Born to fish

Out damn trout – poison them I say!
Feb 21st, 2011 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Despite the protestations of the NZFFA, Minister Kate Wilkinson has decided to poison the trout in the upper dam of the Karori Reservoir, so that the Zealandia Trust can establish some kind of return to a mythical prehuman fantasy.

We pointed out to the Minister previously that not only is this action contrary to the Act she is bound to administer, it sets objectionable and totally unnecessary precedents in destroying a public resource by a private Trust, and applying a poison known to cause human disease (in this case Parkinson’s Disease) to a public resource.

Just in case anyone sympathetic to this kind of fantasy is of the opinion that this might be a necessary evil, we would point out that this group are electro fishing the native fish out of the reservoir prior to poisoning it. So why not electro fish the trout out as well? Why not stick them in the Karori Stream or Hutt River? They could do it, they just chose not to. They just want to poison them.

We would also point out that Wellington Fish & Game could also electro fish these fish out. Just imagine that. Free fisheries enhancement for either the Hutt river or the Wellington Clubs Kids Fishout Pond. The silence from that organisation on this issue is deafening.

We would like to record our extreme disappointment at this stupidity and lack of vision. Once again, this Government and this Minister have shown that they are no friends of fishermen.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Re: Out damn trout – poison them I say!
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
there bizarre love affair with toxic poisons always wins over public opinion and safety, as for enforcing any act Grin Grin Grin they dont even come close, if it looks like they might have to they just change the rules, look at helihunting.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:53am
Print Post  
Give it some months then in with some perch  Wink

Just do it

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
perch smerch walker! harden up, some big nasty pike would be awesome! a decent sport fish for a change!

IP Logged

Kiwiken
Forum Guide
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Born to fish

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Funny, the same thoughts had crossed my mind. Grin

I might have maligned Wellington F&G (slightly). Apparently, they have offered to remove the trout several times - and have been ignored!!!!!!  Sad

Now what does that say about Zealandia, DOC and the Minister???

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Eccles
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Isn't it weird how a "greenie" is always the first to suggest the use of some deadly poison for something, instead of trying their very best to implement a passive, known to be safe system, that would work ?

IP Logged

guiness
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
when will they realise you can not turn back the clock to before human intervension . but all these so called greenys who advicate the use of poison should lead by example and take the poison them selves to lower the human impact Grin

IP Logged

SKIN
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Is this the same greenies that stuffed the fur industry not only in NZ but globally? Whats next in their plan drop a few ton of 1080 in the same water shed?
Seems to me the minister might not be a minister very long with that short sighted approach.

IP Logged

gremlins

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2011 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
guiness wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:39am:
when will they realise you can not turn back the clock to before human intervension . but all these so called greenys who advicate the use of poison should lead by example and take the poison them selves to lower the human impact Grin

Right on the money,  the concept of killing all in the name of conservation is beyond me,

HOYT ALPHAMAX 32

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 10:53am
Print Post  
No friends of fisherman or hunters. For a country that advertises itself as clean an green, it sure uses a hell of a lot of poison. The greenys are trying to take the wildlife back to before European times. It's quite obvious. They concentrate on looking after native birds, lizards, snails and stupid plants. To hell with everything else. . .  poison it!

IP Logged

TS
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Kiwiken wrote on Feb 21st, 2011 at 11:02pm:
Despite the protestations of the NZFFA, Minister Kate Wilkinson has decided to poison the trout in the upper dam of the Karori Reservoir, so that the Zealandia Trust can establish some kind of return to a mythical prehuman fantasy.

We pointed out to the Minister previously that not only is this action contrary to the Act she is bound to administer, it sets objectionable and totally unnecessary precedents in destroying a public resource by a private Trust, and applying a poison known to cause human disease (in this case Parkinson’s Disease) to a public resource.

Just in case anyone sympathetic to this kind of fantasy is of the opinion that this might be a necessary evil, we would point out that this group are electro fishing the native fish out of the reservoir prior to poisoning it. So why not electro fish the trout out as well? Why not stick them in the Karori Stream or Hutt River? They could do it, they just chose not to. They just want to poison them.

We would also point out that Wellington Fish & Game could also electro fish these fish out. Just imagine that. Free fisheries enhancement for either the Hutt river or the Wellington Clubs Kids Fishout Pond. The silence from that organisation on this issue is deafening.

We would like to record our extreme disappointment at this stupidity and lack of vision. Once again, this Government and this Minister have shown that they are no friends of fishermen.

you could not electro fish the trout out of there, look at the size of it FFS. They'll be getting some of the native fish only from the margins, they won't get them all. That'll be enough for them to reintroduce later. It wouldn't be good enough to only get some of the trout if they want rid of them totally.

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Why didn't they remove the dam?
That was not here in pre European times...

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2015 at 6:46am
Print Post  
why not let the plurry water out and fish them out of the shallow stream thats left.....
poison is just wrong

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Walker wrote on Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:53am:
Give it some months then in with some perch  Wink

Did anyone restock it with trout yet?  Grin

This would've pissed off a lot of people, no doubt someone will be dedicated to putting some sort of predatory species back in there.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Ar-15
Forum Senior

Ever Vigilant

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2016 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Greenies are the biggest bunch of hypocrites in history....

" we're green , communist and really think that being green means lots of green poison".

F$&k the lot of them I say!

Ever vigilant

keeping it simple;22,223,308,7mm rem mag and 12ga.

IP Logged

STEALTH

Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Just restock with more trout .Shitloads be good. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards