Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Growing Fallow buck trophies .... (Read 39787 times)
Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Growing Fallow buck trophies ....
Feb 3rd, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
for you or somebody else.

It saddens me often, when I see the very young bucks which are shot by the typical N.Z. hunter. And often with some comment about "rubbish head". Rubbish! It's not rubbish, just young. It's the Fiordland Wapiti situation over again.  A New Zealand Fallow buck will not have a mature head until at least 6 1/2.  Say in the zone 6 1/2 to 9.  So many of them are being shot as two year olds -- just because they've got antlers.  I will elaborate on the growth pattern.
   At twelve months old, obviously the buck grows spikes.  OK, but there are spikes and "spikes".  An ordinary little nondescript spiker, of say Wanganui domicile, might have spikes of 40mm length.  1 1/2 inches.  But shift to an area where the habitat is better, and the original gene pool was good, and those spikes can be 120mm.  4 3/4 inches.  It is pretty stupid to shoot a fallow spiker of that latter type for meat.  It's happening all the time.
    At 2 1/4 years, our buck grows his first set of proper antlers-- call him a two yr old, 'cause he will shed at 2 yrs  10 months.  Pretty basic antlers, only say  340mm (13 inches) long. Short front tines, with two rudimentary tines at the top.  Not a "shit head", he's just a teenager.  And the bodysize is the real clue -- just like an oversize spiker.    Here's a 2 yr old buck:

The 3 1/2 year buck tho, looks more like the real thing.  His body is bulking up and he stands up straight.  His antler length will be about 18 inches (470mm), carries about 11 or 12 points with narrow, slight palmation.  The head is still noticeably narrow -- I call it the "straight antlered" buck.  The reason tho is because his skull is still developing and the pedicles influence the antler shape.
     A four year old buck tho (4 1/4 at polishing), will be looking quite good.  Antler length is still fairly short at about 20" or just over, and light. But he now has proper palms.  Fairly narrow, but at least he is looking like a Fallow buck.  His maturing skull (he's a 30 yr old in human terms) has given him a bit of spread.  A lot of this type of buck gets shot. A pity, because he has yet to get the beam, length and palms which come from bone growth.  A developed skeleton.  One to three more years and he would have been a trophy to be proud of.  Environment permitting.
Here's a pic of a 4 yr old buck of a very good type. DS200.  He needs another two years:

And this is what you are striving for: a World class buck shot in the Wairarapa. DS 247 7/8. Aged 8 yrs & going back.

a previously unpublished pic

Say 6 1/2 to 8yr old is the optimum for a Fallow trophy. Beyond that, they are going back. It takes thinking hunters, as well as environment and genes, to produce trophies.  And a bit of luck.
     Think about it.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2016 at 4:36pm by Chris B »  

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: Growing Fallow buck trophies ....
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Interesting thanks.

Most hunter just see our Fallow herds as a useful way of keeping meat fresh until they need some.

I have been a little like this, but your opinion has made me re-think...

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
thanks grandad. great info and gives me a much better understanding of antler size in relation to age.
by crikey that mounted buck is an absolutely beautifull creature!

IP Logged

sandgroper47
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
SmileySame thing happens here in the west, Grandad.
Please let them grow folks Cry

IP Logged

BAZZA

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
thanks for putting that up i hope the hunters that go into the caples and the greenstone this year have a look at what you have said. Smiley

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Grandad, for continuing to share your extensive knowledge of Fallow with the Forum.
The greatest threat to bucks surviving to trophy size in our area are pine plantation owners, who do not like the damage that they can cause to trees. Roll Eyes      In saying that, I  have seen a couple of good bucks last year, did not shoot them, as I have one on the wall already, sufficient for me.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
I  have seen a couple of good bucks last year, did not shoot them, as I have one on the wall already, sufficient for me.

Good on you.  I haven't shot a buck for years, but I've photographed some beauts.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Kimber08

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Same problem with the Pollock herd.  To many people shooting young stags.  I have access to one area up there and filmed three small stags in the two to three years old range last roar.  Our plan is to leave all stags for as long as possible to try and let them grow and maybe oneday get a wall hanger. 

Those three stags all held hinds so they were probably the better ones in the area.

Fingers crossed they will stay on the farm and grow to a decent size

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 11:48am
Print Post  
You've got the right philosophy Kimber08,.  Good on ya.
And it will work beautifully in that country.  Tightly controlled access;  top class grazing; good original gene pool.  As long as you can control the poachers.
I've known the Pollock deer all my life, and there's nothing more admirable than the McMahon head with it's 12" guard tines,  or Ron Hogan's big pickup.
Only 8 weeks to your rut. Wait for that big buck.  (bucks & does).
Good hunting.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Grandad,interesting. Cool

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Absolutely agree that 6- 8 year bracket is prime I have had bucks on good tucker hold their antler mass all the way out to 10 years in some cases.
All a fallow needs is time to grow access to good farm fringe grass/pasture helps too

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

7mmsaum
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks Grandad,
                          I have shot what I thought was a scrubber fallow in the past, and now I know it just needed a little more maturity.

IP Logged

lostit

Don't shoot it unless
you are going to eat
it.

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Well said. Take a photo and leave it till next year and it will be bigger.

IP Logged

NORMIE
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Thank you Grandad.

I hunt the Pollock herd quite regularly too and like 7mmsaum I shot what I thought until now was a scrubber. Big body crap head. Will leave them next time. I did see a couple months back a beautiful big white Buck with a pretty good head on him. Will check again next year.

Cheers

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 9:33pm:
for you or somebody else.

I bet you now really regret getting your Moko done in prison. Grin

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Jeez porkchop, you had me puzzled for about 3 minutes.  It's not me, I was trying to protect the bloke's privacy.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Oh. I didn't realise. Sorry  Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Bump.  Leave those young bucks.

IP Logged

PK33
Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
What are your thoughts on the wanganui herd Grandad? Most of the bucks are ok on one side but split palm on the other. Will they even up or get better with age? Most people say there is something lacking in the soil as I have heard very good blood has been brought in but dosnt seem to fix the split
Smiley

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple of Stags from the Wangas Herd.
As Grandad suggested, Both were left alone.  Smiley
Both were never seen again.  Sad

Little Uneven, but gettin there.

Great Symetrical Head, Only even head I've seen in the Wanganui Wilds
(youtube may still be processing it)

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:59am
Print Post  
PK33 wrote on Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
What are your thoughts on the wanganui herd Grandad? Most of the bucks are ok on one side but split palm on the other. Will they even up or get better with age? Most people say there is something lacking in the soil as I have heard very good blood has been brought in but dosnt seem to fix the split
Smiley

There are no doubts on this situation.  Typical Wanganui mature head has split palms which has come about thru environmental deficiencies.  The deer liberated (from Burghley park, Surrey) were from a top gene pool, but were let go at Kaiwhaiki (sp?) right at the tail end of the sandstone country. The light sandstone belt runs from Waitotara valley south to Lismore.  Photos of the bucks shot when licences first issued, show that the clefts had appeared within three deer generations. Thirty years.
Today's situation is that the country up closer to Raetihi, which is mudstone country, produces better trophies.  And there was a deer farm well South on the Parapara country which had introduced some Hungarian? bucks, and then failed.  The deer were just abandoned.  A cluster of very good bucks were shot there last year. Full palms and DS ranging from 190 to 200 7/8.
Apart from that, the Wanganui mature bucks of today are cleft palm.  But that statement ignores the fact that two yr old and three yr old bucks normally have split palms anyway.  The splits fill in with age.   In fact I have two bucks walking around my paddock with 12 & 13 point split palm FIRST HEADS.  Just a result of superb tucker.
  I hope you've read the stuff I have in "The Fallow files" above. Part 4 covers the Rut.

IP Logged

PK33
Forum Senior

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Grandad. Yes I have read your write up Smiley
Interesting how the soil has such an effect on the heads. I have heard that the heads get better the further north you get.
I got a bloody good buck a few years ago that was within 20 minutes drive of wanganui. No split. He had 18 hinds with him  Shocked I guess I was just lucky  Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:57am
Print Post  
In this thread I have commented on the "straight antlered buck".
It polishes at 3 1/4 yrs old, and has a noticeably narrow antlered head. The shape is influenced by immaturity, with it's small skull the pedicles are close together & upright. As the skull matures the pedicles change their angle & this gives the maturing trophy head the spread & skull which typifies the species. Hence the extra spread allowance that Norman Douglas allowed in his fallow scoring system.  I can now show a photo that I didn't have at the original post. It's my captive menil (note the prominent summer spots) buck. Age is guaranteed 'cause I've had it since spiker. The narrow span appears with all 3 yr old bucks. Obviously a mistake to shoot them. As a 4 yr old they get the spread/span.

This batch of pics also gives me the chance to explain more about the dreaded split (cleft) palm. Pictured here by the same buck.  The feature is common in Wanganui herd bucks, where it is caused by the environment: light sandstone country.  The feature also appears tho in young bucks. Even in good herds like the Greenstone. But it disappears with the next year's antler growth. That's another reason not to shoot young bucks. This is just an average bloodline buck but it's on good tucker. The cleft palm is youth. Next year (lord willing) I'll show you a fully developed palm.

And a final matter of interest: this next pic is not great but the best I could get. The two bucks (one Common, one Menil) are the same age, I got them both as spikers. And they came from a place that had only one buck, so they had the same dad.  If you zoom the pic in a bit, you'll see their antlers are absolutely identical. Features inherited from the same dad.  So if you're chasing a known trophy buck or stag, shoot him after the rut. So his features can be passed on. In Germany you wouldn't be allowed to shoot a trophy in the rut.

OK. Watch for my book, it should hit the shelves mid-year.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:02am
Print Post  
beautiful young bucks mate! Cool

IP Logged

Nik Maxwell
Donor Member

NZG&H

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:02am:
beautiful young bucks mate! Cool

+1, thanks for sharing Grandad! Smiley

….The hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaude or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his act, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers….
IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I'll be up for a copy of your book cheers Grandad.

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'll be up for a copy of your book cheers Grandad.

+1 Please. Smiley

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
This time last year (Reply 22) I used pics of two bucks in my paddock,( then 3 yr olds, same genes same dad)  to illustrate two aspects of the developing fallow trophy:  antler spread, split palms.  It is good to be able to show you exactly what has happened since. Here are the pics taken today.
   Scroll up and look at the pic of the "straight antlered buck", a result of an immature 3 yr old skull with upright pedicles close together. Now here's a pic of the two bucks in an identical pose and you can see the spread has started to improve at 4 yrs old as the bone structure gets heavier and skull grows.  The spread will be even better next year but that will be about it for these bucks.

I spoke also about split palms, particularly the Wanganui herd,  and I said that  in all herds you will normally get split palms with the two yr and three year old bucks.  Many bucks are shot by the average hunter who thinks they are rubbish heads.   Not so, they are young bucks that in another two or three years would likely be wallhangers.  Now look at the pics of this buck,  first pic as a 2 yr old (and the 3 yr old had the same clefts but bigger antlers);  second pic this morning as a 4 yr old, he's growing a nice head.  Next year he'll be a trophy.

today:

The message is obvious guys and gals.
Grandad

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
That is great to see those year by year photos. Excellent demonstration.

I find that it is all in the neck when estimating age. The older bucks really start to develop the big thick neck, thickset front and chest.

Easy to spot when standing near a younger animal.

Cheers Grandad, very good resource

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
What a difference, shows the benefit of leaving them a year or two.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
MikeB wrote on Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:00pm:

I find that it is all in the neck when estimating age. The older bucks really start to develop the big thick neck, thickset front and chest.

Easy to spot when standing near a younger animal.

Excellent point. I fully agree.
Look at this pic as an example. The buck was 6 1/2 years old and scored DS251.6

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
OK here's some final pics using these two bucks (4 yrs 2 mths now) in my paddock to illustrate the year by year growth towards a 5yr or 6yr trophy.  In the final week's velvet growth the spellers on the back of the palms have formed, the coronets are now swelling and the velvet will be stripped.
With the Common buck (black scut stripe & tail) I have now found a pic of his last year's 3 yr old head showing the immaturity palm clefts. Compare that (1st pic) to his final head two days ago.

and now:

But now a complication emerges: the matter of genes resisting environment.
These two bucks are on prime grazing, look at their condition.  But now look at the way the Menil buck (fawn bum & tail), exactly the same age as the Common, has retained the cleft palms. Substantial antlers tho.  Neither of these bucks come from any flash background.

It's all interesting.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #32 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  
also apparent is how the cleft shows up strongly on one side only. just like in the wild.
neat photos mate.

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Reply #33 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
for goodness sake, that thing on the back of the motor bike is not a fallow buck granddad. its a bloody horse.! Grin

great pictures of the other bucks, thanks Smiley

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #34 - Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Amazing what a year can do eh! Makes me feel good about the few bucks we left to grow last year. If they've survived the year hopefully they'll be bigger this year  Smiley

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:23am
Print Post  
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj620/campbelltori/DSCN0470_zps9209b543.jpg gday guys just bin reading about the fellow thread here. this is an old fellow stag i shot from wanganui this year. 232 and 6/8ths penalised for overspread unfortunately. cheers... hopefully the photos work as never posted them before??

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:30am
Print Post  
welcome pongo12. thats a fantastic fallow buck trophy! love the style.
beyond exceptional for wanganui herd.

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:59am
Print Post  
cheers mate hes been around a while, he went backwards this year. is that the way to put photos up properly?

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Cam C wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:59am:
cheers mate hes been around a while, he went backwards this year. is that the way to put photos up properly?

hes a monster and very even without the dreaded wanganui cleft palm. congrats mate!
they way you posted the photo creates a link to it. if you copy the image code it will show the actual photo. follow the how to in this link....
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1236226062

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Hopefully this works chris, heres another couple shots of him

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #40 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
yep you got it mate.
terrific spread on him! Cool

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #41 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I had to throw a bloody blanket over that thing in the end when it was sitting in the lounge.

Couldn't stand how tiny it was making my heads look  Grin

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #42 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
haha cheers mike

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #43 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
post up a report in the hunting reports section mate. would love to hear the story of the hunt Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:16am
Print Post  
cant say i agree with overspread
each head is unique and should be scored as

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:16am:
cant say i agree with overspread
each head is unique and should be scored as

+ 1 for me also, but what would I know about trophy hunting/scoring? I'm from the shoot-n-sell era.  Roll Eyes
Pongo, bloody nice looking  head, the fallow, not you.  Grin

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #46 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
haha yea cheers fellas, a mate scored it at 240 but then it went to a master scorer and apparently your allowed 4 inchs more spread than the shortest side or something and this one was 6 or 7 so yea. bugger.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #47 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I'm amazed it took me so long to see that post. Getting old.   You have a world class buck there pongo.  Hearty congratulations.  I'd put money on "northern part of the herd".  I measured another Wanganui buck (this year's) a couple of weeks back.
DS241.7!   Your buck is bigger.
As to "overspread". The Douglas principal ,spread factor is based upon what is normal for the species. There is plenty evidence that the normal MATURE fallow buck tends to be several inches more spread than the antler length.  So the extra spread allowance for fallow is proper.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2014 at 1:29pm by Grandad »  

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #48 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
cheers grandad. yea im up the paraparas, thats where he is from.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #49 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Told you so.  This time last year (reply 27) I posted pics of a Common buck as a 3yr old and then as a very promising 4 yr old.  And incidently I lost that head because the two same age bucks had one humungous fight and all four antlers lay on the ground!  Ok, now they are just completing their velvet growth as 5 yr olds and both are wallhangers well above DS200. I'll post the pic of the Common for comparative purposes, but I forgot to put on photobucket.  See ya soon.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #50 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Hoping:

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #51 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:07am:
Told you so.  This time last year (reply 27) I posted pics of a Common buck as a 3yr old and then as a very promising 4 yr old.  And incidently I lost that head because the two same age bucks had one humungous fight and all four antlers lay on the ground!  Ok, now they are just completing their velvet growth as 5 yr olds and both are wallhangers well above DS200. I'll post the pic of the Common for comparative purposes, but I forgot to put on photobucket.  See ya soon.

that is some fight! Shocked
hes really starting to get some nice shape to him now Grandad, imaging him at 7 or 8! Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #52 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Here is a replacement for the very first pic (2 yr old buck) in this thread.
Maybe the Moderator could replace it and then delete this post?

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #53 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
The whole point to this thread was to illustrate to our members that many of the fallow bucks that are being shot are only youngsters. So it's pretty stupid to moan about "rubbish head", "split palms".  Just let the bucks grow to six or seven years old.  Here's a good example of a wild Wairarapa buck I measured this year.  I considered him to be 7 yrs old. Douglas score was 251.7 :

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #54 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:02am
Print Post  
An interesting thing about that DS251.7 Wairarapa buck, is that it was killed by another buck.  I have a pic of that buck (two obvious injuries) and it is a "straight antlered" buck.  As such, his antlers were able to get inside the wide spread of the monster, and did for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards