Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Growing Fallow buck trophies .... (Read 39754 times)
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Re: Growing Fallow buck trophies ....
Reply #45 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:18am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:16am:
cant say i agree with overspread
each head is unique and should be scored as

+ 1 for me also, but what would I know about trophy hunting/scoring? I'm from the shoot-n-sell era.  Roll Eyes
Pongo, bloody nice looking  head, the fallow, not you.  Grin

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #46 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
haha yea cheers fellas, a mate scored it at 240 but then it went to a master scorer and apparently your allowed 4 inchs more spread than the shortest side or something and this one was 6 or 7 so yea. bugger.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #47 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I'm amazed it took me so long to see that post. Getting old.   You have a world class buck there pongo.  Hearty congratulations.  I'd put money on "northern part of the herd".  I measured another Wanganui buck (this year's) a couple of weeks back.
DS241.7!   Your buck is bigger.
As to "overspread". The Douglas principal ,spread factor is based upon what is normal for the species. There is plenty evidence that the normal MATURE fallow buck tends to be several inches more spread than the antler length.  So the extra spread allowance for fallow is proper.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2014 at 1:29pm by Grandad »  

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Cam C
Donor Member

Reply #48 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
cheers grandad. yea im up the paraparas, thats where he is from.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #49 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Told you so.  This time last year (reply 27) I posted pics of a Common buck as a 3yr old and then as a very promising 4 yr old.  And incidently I lost that head because the two same age bucks had one humungous fight and all four antlers lay on the ground!  Ok, now they are just completing their velvet growth as 5 yr olds and both are wallhangers well above DS200. I'll post the pic of the Common for comparative purposes, but I forgot to put on photobucket.  See ya soon.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #50 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Hoping:

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #51 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Feb 4th, 2015 at 8:07am:
Told you so.  This time last year (reply 27) I posted pics of a Common buck as a 3yr old and then as a very promising 4 yr old.  And incidently I lost that head because the two same age bucks had one humungous fight and all four antlers lay on the ground!  Ok, now they are just completing their velvet growth as 5 yr olds and both are wallhangers well above DS200. I'll post the pic of the Common for comparative purposes, but I forgot to put on photobucket.  See ya soon.

that is some fight! Shocked
hes really starting to get some nice shape to him now Grandad, imaging him at 7 or 8! Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #52 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Here is a replacement for the very first pic (2 yr old buck) in this thread.
Maybe the Moderator could replace it and then delete this post?

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #53 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
The whole point to this thread was to illustrate to our members that many of the fallow bucks that are being shot are only youngsters. So it's pretty stupid to moan about "rubbish head", "split palms".  Just let the bucks grow to six or seven years old.  Here's a good example of a wild Wairarapa buck I measured this year.  I considered him to be 7 yrs old. Douglas score was 251.7 :

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #54 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:02am
Print Post  
An interesting thing about that DS251.7 Wairarapa buck, is that it was killed by another buck.  I have a pic of that buck (two obvious injuries) and it is a "straight antlered" buck.  As such, his antlers were able to get inside the wide spread of the monster, and did for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards