Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Growing Fallow buck trophies .... (Read 39788 times)
Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Re: Growing Fallow buck trophies ....
Reply #15 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Jeez porkchop, you had me puzzled for about 3 minutes.  It's not me, I was trying to protect the bloke's privacy.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

PORKCHOP
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Oh. I didn't realise. Sorry  Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Bump.  Leave those young bucks.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

PK33
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
What are your thoughts on the wanganui herd Grandad? Most of the bucks are ok on one side but split palm on the other. Will they even up or get better with age? Most people say there is something lacking in the soil as I have heard very good blood has been brought in but dosnt seem to fix the split
Smiley

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple of Stags from the Wangas Herd.
As Grandad suggested, Both were left alone.  Smiley
Both were never seen again.  Sad

Little Uneven, but gettin there.

Great Symetrical Head, Only even head I've seen in the Wanganui Wilds
(youtube may still be processing it)

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:59am
Print Post  
PK33 wrote on Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
What are your thoughts on the wanganui herd Grandad? Most of the bucks are ok on one side but split palm on the other. Will they even up or get better with age? Most people say there is something lacking in the soil as I have heard very good blood has been brought in but dosnt seem to fix the split
Smiley

There are no doubts on this situation.  Typical Wanganui mature head has split palms which has come about thru environmental deficiencies.  The deer liberated (from Burghley park, Surrey) were from a top gene pool, but were let go at Kaiwhaiki (sp?) right at the tail end of the sandstone country. The light sandstone belt runs from Waitotara valley south to Lismore.  Photos of the bucks shot when licences first issued, show that the clefts had appeared within three deer generations. Thirty years.
Today's situation is that the country up closer to Raetihi, which is mudstone country, produces better trophies.  And there was a deer farm well South on the Parapara country which had introduced some Hungarian? bucks, and then failed.  The deer were just abandoned.  A cluster of very good bucks were shot there last year. Full palms and DS ranging from 190 to 200 7/8.
Apart from that, the Wanganui mature bucks of today are cleft palm.  But that statement ignores the fact that two yr old and three yr old bucks normally have split palms anyway.  The splits fill in with age.   In fact I have two bucks walking around my paddock with 12 & 13 point split palm FIRST HEADS.  Just a result of superb tucker.
  I hope you've read the stuff I have in "The Fallow files" above. Part 4 covers the Rut.

IP Logged

PK33
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Grandad. Yes I have read your write up Smiley
Interesting how the soil has such an effect on the heads. I have heard that the heads get better the further north you get.
I got a bloody good buck a few years ago that was within 20 minutes drive of wanganui. No split. He had 18 hinds with him  Shocked I guess I was just lucky  Smiley

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:57am
Print Post  
In this thread I have commented on the "straight antlered buck".
It polishes at 3 1/4 yrs old, and has a noticeably narrow antlered head. The shape is influenced by immaturity, with it's small skull the pedicles are close together & upright. As the skull matures the pedicles change their angle & this gives the maturing trophy head the spread & skull which typifies the species. Hence the extra spread allowance that Norman Douglas allowed in his fallow scoring system.  I can now show a photo that I didn't have at the original post. It's my captive menil (note the prominent summer spots) buck. Age is guaranteed 'cause I've had it since spiker. The narrow span appears with all 3 yr old bucks. Obviously a mistake to shoot them. As a 4 yr old they get the spread/span.

This batch of pics also gives me the chance to explain more about the dreaded split (cleft) palm. Pictured here by the same buck.  The feature is common in Wanganui herd bucks, where it is caused by the environment: light sandstone country.  The feature also appears tho in young bucks. Even in good herds like the Greenstone. But it disappears with the next year's antler growth. That's another reason not to shoot young bucks. This is just an average bloodline buck but it's on good tucker. The cleft palm is youth. Next year (lord willing) I'll show you a fully developed palm.

And a final matter of interest: this next pic is not great but the best I could get. The two bucks (one Common, one Menil) are the same age, I got them both as spikers. And they came from a place that had only one buck, so they had the same dad.  If you zoom the pic in a bit, you'll see their antlers are absolutely identical. Features inherited from the same dad.  So if you're chasing a known trophy buck or stag, shoot him after the rut. So his features can be passed on. In Germany you wouldn't be allowed to shoot a trophy in the rut.

OK. Watch for my book, it should hit the shelves mid-year.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #23 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:02am
Print Post  
beautiful young bucks mate! Cool

IP Logged

Nik Maxwell
Donor Member

NZG&H

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 10:02am:
beautiful young bucks mate! Cool

+1, thanks for sharing Grandad! Smiley

….The hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaude or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his act, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers….
IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I'll be up for a copy of your book cheers Grandad.

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'll be up for a copy of your book cheers Grandad.

+1 Please. Smiley

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
This time last year (Reply 22) I used pics of two bucks in my paddock,( then 3 yr olds, same genes same dad)  to illustrate two aspects of the developing fallow trophy:  antler spread, split palms.  It is good to be able to show you exactly what has happened since. Here are the pics taken today.
   Scroll up and look at the pic of the "straight antlered buck", a result of an immature 3 yr old skull with upright pedicles close together. Now here's a pic of the two bucks in an identical pose and you can see the spread has started to improve at 4 yrs old as the bone structure gets heavier and skull grows.  The spread will be even better next year but that will be about it for these bucks.

I spoke also about split palms, particularly the Wanganui herd,  and I said that  in all herds you will normally get split palms with the two yr and three year old bucks.  Many bucks are shot by the average hunter who thinks they are rubbish heads.   Not so, they are young bucks that in another two or three years would likely be wallhangers.  Now look at the pics of this buck,  first pic as a 2 yr old (and the 3 yr old had the same clefts but bigger antlers);  second pic this morning as a 4 yr old, he's growing a nice head.  Next year he'll be a trophy.

today:

The message is obvious guys and gals.
Grandad

IP Logged

MikeB
Donor Member

Hunting anywhere and everywhere

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
That is great to see those year by year photos. Excellent demonstration.

I find that it is all in the neck when estimating age. The older bucks really start to develop the big thick neck, thickset front and chest.

Easy to spot when standing near a younger animal.

Cheers Grandad, very good resource

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2014 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
What a difference, shows the benefit of leaving them a year or two.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards