Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kaingaroa Forest open for fishing for two weeks. (Read 18243 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Kaingaroa Forest open for fishing for two weeks.
Jan 25th, 2011 at 5:29am
Print Post  
Bloody generous of them!
Alan

Sent: Monday, 24 January 2011 12:06 p.m.
Subject: FW: Kaingaroa Hunting and Fishing access

Hi All

We have just received this from Timberlands Limited.  Due to all the rain the forest will be open for Fishing for the next two weekends at least.  Permits will be required and I suggest you get in quick as ISCl may get busy later in the week.  Please let anyone that you think would be interested know.  I will try and get something out on local radio in the next day or two as well.

Regards

Rob.

Temporary access to Kaingaroa fails to solve problem

Tuesday, 25 January 2011, 1:12 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Government

Media Statement
Tuesday, 25 January 2010

Temporary access to Kaingaroa fails to solve problem

UnitedFuture leader Peter Dunne has reiterated his commitment to finding an enduring solution to the Kaingaroa Forest access dispute despite today’s announcement of a short-term relaxation of the summer ban.

Due to recent heavy rain Timberlands have announced that the Kaingaroa Forest will be open for recreational access over the next two weekends. The fire danger within the forest has dropped from moderate to low, meeting Timberlands strict criteria for allowing access.

“I commend Timberlands for dropping the fire danger and allowing a temporary restoration of access, however this is only a short-term solution brought on by fortuitous circumstances,” said Mr Dunne.

“I congratulate Eastern Fish and Game and others who have lobbied on behalf of fishers for better access, at least over the next couple of weeks people can enjoy the world class fishing the Rangitaiki River and Flaxy Lakes provide.”

“However, we mustn’t lose sight of the larger goal, which is to establish a more enduring and workable set of access provisions for the Kaingaroa that will satisfy the long-term needs of all parties.”

“It is totally unreasonable that the only time people can access the forest and its waterways is when the fire danger is low, in the past the risk had to be at very high or extreme before access to recreational users was denied.”

“While the next couple of weeks is a godsend for fishermen and local businesses, I am committed to finding a more lasting solution to the access issue and will continue to work with interested parties to do so,” said Mr Dunne.

ENDS

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

duck-kila
Forum Senior

to  hunt and fish

Re: Kaingaroa Forest open for fishing for two weeks.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:17am
Print Post  
yes very generous of them.pass another "tui' Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

oh and a way we go
IP Logged

elmerfudd
Banned

Wherever there is water
and fish I am there

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 5:08am
Print Post  
That is good to hear that there is some temporary access and is a start, the reality is that there needs to be unrestricted access all the time (with the exception of High to extreme fire danger where I agree that access should be restricted to prevent any risk of forest fire).

IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 12:35am
Print Post  
The details have probably been on this site thousands of times but can someone post the details of the Security company I need to see for this fishing access.
Does this include hunting access?
Good access to the Rangi River with the forest opening up?

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

elmerfudd
Banned

Wherever there is water
and fish I am there

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Independent Security Services on Tarewa Road just pop into the office with your Trout License and fill out a form and you could ask about hunting then as I think that is pretty much from openeing weekend of gamebird season only for pig/deer hunting but they can answer that question for you.

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:34am
Print Post  
The Waipunga access is washed out unless you have got a 4x4 and big nuts. About 200meters up from the bridge there is a whole bunch of sand and loose pumice/river debri on the road. A couple of 4x4's have got through(at least one had trouble) but its probably not the nest place to leave a vehicle near Pohukura Road if you get my drift.  The road on the true right of the Waipunga will never be open again either... huge wash out there.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 9:17am
Print Post  
hairy.... bugger and bugger again.... please keep me informed if anyone cleans them up...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

Evermoor
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Idea 1:  If anyones up there soon would they perhaps be able to put up a photo of the slip on the track. It would help some of us assess whether we would take a vehicle up from the bridge.
Idea 2: Depending on what it looks like, could we get some fishermen & hunters off this form to meet there with a barrow & shovel. Ten or a dozen guys could make a difference to the track in a morning. It's mainly pumice and it's how they did it in the old days!!!
Although I haven't been up there for a while I have fond memories of the Waipunga and the bush up there.
Just a thought.

IP Logged

whirinaki

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Just wondering what is the situation with access at the forest for hunting at the moment and coming month?
If any one could let me know that would be appreciated.
Cheers

IP Logged

duck-kila
Forum Senior

to  hunt and fish

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
whirinaki wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:51am:
Just wondering what is the situation with access at the forest for hunting at the moment and coming month?
If any one could let me know that would be appreciated.
Cheers

Checked information with security firms.COST  $50 per   permit. Fishing or  Hunting. Season from First weekend in May to end of Game bird season. No entry during Roar .Unless you are a member of the IWI Angry Angry Angry

oh and a way we go
IP Logged

whirinaki

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Im over it , what a waste of a good spot to hunt and fish. Was looking forward to binging my kids up with camping trips at Te Awa camp like when I was a kid.
Load of bull *&@! . my thoughts anyway.. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

elmerfudd
Banned

Wherever there is water
and fish I am there

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 2:38am
Print Post  
at $50 per permit if they issue 2000 permits that is $100,000 dollars bought in with a $60,000 profit shared between independent security and Kaingaroa Timberlands once their $40,000 permit system is paid off so next year they will be making profit on permits.

If the Kaingaroa and Rotoehu permits were cheaper say $10 - $20 that would have been fairer on everyone who spend a lot of money on fuel to get to Kaingaroa/Rotoehu and drive to their spots where they like to go and then return home again. and their $40,000 permit system would be still paid off. For me I only go in there two or three times a year so once I have paid for bird permit, Trout Licence ETC the extra cost of the permit is not worth my time or effort.

I feel hunters and fishermen should boycott these swine's by refusing to pay for permits and bomb Timberlands with emails protesting about it. Text all your freinds who go there and tell them to do the same

IP Logged

whirinaki

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 7:34am
Print Post  
I grew up in Rotorua, used to finish school and head out there for a hunt and a fish. No gates in those days and no trouble either. Then the gates came in then it was hunting on weekends only. Then there was by permit. Now it is you need to buy a permit for $50 . Next thing it will be $100 and then there will be something else to do. I wont be going there any more. Feel pretty pissed about it really. I spoke to guy from the security firm last year in the whirinaki. What a co*k , asked me what i was doing etc. Permit and the usual questions. When he couldnt find anything wrong he said turn my lights on. I was bloody parked  Cheesy what a knob. If they want to find all the diesel that apparently goes missing they should check out how many locals drive diesel vehicle  Huh Its not rocket science Wink

IP Logged

pennyless

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
So much for the publics guaranted  recreational access. Yeah right  Cry

IP Logged

elmerfudd
Banned

Wherever there is water
and fish I am there

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
pennyless wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 7:46pm:
So much for the publics guaranted  recreational access. Yeah right  Cry

Access is guaranteed as long as you pay $50.00 all we can do is express our disgust by sending emails to Timberlands.

Eastern F&G is disappointed by the ridiculous charge but they have said that their hands are tied and there is nothing much they can do as Timberlands are not willing to listen to anyone, While there will be an increase in tresspassing from those who do not want to pay F&G as an enforcement agency does not condone it and they also do not condone the fee.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards