Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wellington Hunters (Read 146 times)
Monowai

If hunting was easy everyone
would be doing it

Wellington
Wellington Hunters
Jan 16th, 2011 at 4:20pm

The Dom Post yesterday had an advert from the Greater Regional Council for the Ballot for hunting Blocks for the Wainui and Orongorongo water catchment and the East Harbour Regional Park for deer hunting.   The block is for 3 days.

They also have Pig Hunting blocks for ballot for non firearm hunting (dogs)

Personally I have never been into the East Harbour Park which I think is Butterfly Creek area.  The Wainui Water Area is as I recall pretty hard going but blokes do hook the odd deer there.

For Your info

Cheers

IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Wellington
Re: Wellington Hunters
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 5:17pm

It says 10 blocks are available. Where are the 10 blocks?

Anticipation is half the fun!
scoped  
IP Logged

Skeet in NZ

I Love to hunt Canada
Geese

South Wairarapa
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 6:07pm

Go here : S 41 15.507 E 175 02.776 is in the middle

IP Logged

Nor-West
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Upper Hutt
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 7:10pm

I went for a walk with my wife several years ago up butterfly creek (Off road in Eastbourne} and walked onto 2 hinds Shocked met a guy in there running frat traps and said he had seen deer in there multiple times Cool

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Vulcan
Donor Member

Wellington
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:38am

Hunting

Hunting ballot opens mid January 2010
To enter the ballot, hunters (only one entry per person) should obtain an information pack (including a ballot entry form) by sending a cheque, $5 non-refundable, to East Harbour Deer Hunting Ballot, Greater Wellington, PO Box 40847, Upper Hutt 5140.

For all enquiries please contact Joanne Hunwick, ph (04) 526 5332 or email joanne.hunwick@gw.govt.nz.

Pig hunting permits available
Greater Wellington Regional Council offers the opportunity for members of the public to undertake pig hunting in East Harbour Regional Park.  Permits will be issued for a 5 month period each year from 1 May to 30 September.

The hunting will play a part in controlling animals in the park, and also provide an opportunity for the recreational hunting of pigs within a designated hunting area in the Northern Forest Block.

Permits for non-firearm use will be issued on application.  Dog registration numbers or micro-chip numbers are required prior to permits being issued (maximum of 3 dogs).

For all hunting enquiries please contact Joanne Hunwick, ph (04) 526 5332 or email joanne.hunwick@gw.govt.nz.

IP Logged

southlandsneaky
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 5:19pm

waste of time in the wainui catchment in april, i knew some of the cullers that went in there over the years. they would bomb the place up a month before the blocks opened up for the public, one time they took about 20 odd pest control dogs in there to catch goats, pigs and deer.
they do this to justify sending cullers in and to justify poisoning the place, when public hunters go in and get nothing the government boys can say that the average hunter cant get anything, so they have to have cullers in on a regular basis, or pro hunters they call themselves !

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 6:07pm

Shocked Wouldn't be surprised though  Roll Eyes

I hunted Eastern Harbour last year, didn't get jack squat nor did i see anything (pigs or deer). I covered close to the whole park too, without exaggerating! I guess you might strike it lucky and come across the odd pig passing through but i didn't see any over the space of the 5 months i spent in there. And that was ALOT of hunting. There certainly ain't no resident pig populations through there!

Do have to say though it's very beautiful in there through all the beech up high and then further in where the general public don't venture.

Opps...i tell a fib...i did come across a fair amount of possoms! Not once did i go in and not see one hanging from one of there traps.

I've heard the Wainui catchment can be pretty good for deer during the roar if you know where to go though?

IP Logged

gazza b

a tip-dont wipe your arse
with a broken beerbottle

wainuiomata
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Ive just spent the last 2 days having a look from the top of wainui hill south to about the dump saw no deer or any sign ,a bit of pig sign down by the dump and heard acouple of pig having a fight in the gorse on a face down by the dump.but as for deer on the wainui side youd have to be bloody lucky

IP Logged

Horse
Forum Senior

wellington
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:06pm

Heard it was bombed up last year by pest controllers.

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

New Zealand
Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:08pm

Mmmmm...tip fed pigs!  Shocked

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Upper Hutt
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:26pm

seems to get bombed up every year just before the roar. Angry

IP Logged

BC
Forum Font

Wellington
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:30pm

whereami wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 5:26pm:
seems to get bombed up every year just before the roar. Angry

They have just been done by private contractors.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Wairarapa
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:05pm

Quote:
waste of time in the wainui catchment in april, i knew some of the cullers that went in there over the years. they would bomb the place up a month before the blocks opened up for the public, one time they took about 20 odd pest control dogs in there to catch goats, pigs and deer.
they do this to justify sending cullers in and to justify poisoning the place, when public hunters go in and get nothing the government boys can say that the average hunter cant get anything, so they have to have cullers in on a regular basis, or pro hunters they call themselves !

So true! I hunted this place twice during the public ballot and found the above had just happened - helos, cullers and contracted ground parties with dogs. Even the pigeons and fantails were keeping a low profile. Won't waste my time going back into the water reserve to be played as a pawn in the councils' game.

IP Logged

6 mm

kaiapoi
Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 9:30pm

used to hunt in the catchment 20 years ago it was agreat spot in the roar. you would get onto stags every day lots of pigs also. shot a heavy 14 point stag in there . an other great spot was the old railway line above the top tunnel.lots of deer in upperhutt back then

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print