Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Tent (Read 4212 times)
Tepuke80

If it doesn't fit, FORCE
IT

New Tent
Dec 28th, 2010 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Gday all,

Am booked for a trip to south island for the 2011 roar,
Am after  a new tent and with Macpac having a sale
Am thinking either the Olympus
http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/tents/olympus.html
or the minaret
http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/tents/minaret.html

any feedback or other ideas would be appreciated

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Re: New Tent
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Both bullet proof tents, with the Minaret perhaps slightly better for extreme alpine conditions as it has a slightly smaller profile.

Having said that though, I would go for the Olympus if there are two of you as the Mineret is very cramped for two for extended trips, especially if the weather is rough.

If you are on your own, then I would go for the Minaret to save weight

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

danel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2010 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
after a lot or research I found that the Exped Orion is the best performing 2 man tent...wind tunel tested to 80mph, two big vestibules, high water proof rating,

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Have a Olympus and it has taken some dreadfull weather also had a Minaret pitched next to it on one trip which was just as good.

More room in the Olympus but you have reduced weight with the Minaret.

Either is an excellent choice

Smiley

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

yogi
Donor Member

Patience, persistence
and perseverance

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
What about the msr hubba hubba or mutha hubba tents? supposed to be very good but quite expensive.  Are they worth looking at?

Just got to keep on chipping away!

IP Logged

Eccles
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
For a bullet proof tent with lots of room for 2 people  and gear, you will not be sorry if you buy an Olympus.
Its not the lightest but heck, there is anly about half a kilo weight difference between the lightest and heaviest tents in the higher quality ones.

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I can vouch for the Fairydown Altimate.  It's a 4 season alpine tent but they don't make it any more unfortunately.  They pop up on Trademe from time to time.  It is a bit heavier at 2.5kg, but if you split the weight with a mate then it's much more manageable. Smiley

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes.  It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do.  Keith Draper.

IP Logged

Luke.S
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
yogi wrote on Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:28pm:
What about the msr hubba hubba or mutha hubba tents? supposed to be very good but quite expensive.  Are they worth looking at?

They are definately worth looking at. I've got a MSR hubba hubba tent and I really like it, really easy and quick to put up, hasn't been in any strong winds yet but I have no doubt that it would stand up to it.

IP Logged

ProudKiwi
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
If you have a look at the MSR range and like the look of the Carbon Reflex it might pay to flick Coxy a PM...........you wont be sorry  Wink

"If I die dont let my wife sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them."

IP Logged

stu#71
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Pretty similar but the Minaret is smaller.  I have one - would recommend it.  It's very comfortable for one + kit.  If 2 of you you'd have to stick some kit outside in the entranceway.
2 poles insert to erect + about 6 pegs, done!

IP Logged

Tepuke80

If it doesn't fit, FORCE
IT

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Cheers for input fellas,

Had an eye out on trade me for a while, liked the look of the Fairydown Altimate but hardly any around.

Ended up going with the Olympus, for the extra weight it's the width that'll help out, as i'm no stick myself and  another person in the minaret would've been a real tight squeeze. And with the sale prices out now couldn't beat it.   Wink

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
MSR all the way after looking at the weights of the Macpac ones in question, the two man MSR carbon reflex tent is under half the weight of the Olympus and would pack down to half the size more than likely, check out the specs here http://cascadedesigns.com/en/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/carbon-reflex-2/prod....

Cheers Coxy

IP Logged

saltro
Forum Font

Fur,feather or fins, it's
all good

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Tepuke80 wrote on Dec 30th, 2010 at 8:00pm:
Cheers for input fellas,

Had an eye out on trade me for a while, liked the look of the Fairydown Altimate but hardly any around.

Ended up going with the Olympus, for the extra weight it's the width that'll help out, as i'm no stick myself and  another person in the minaret would've been a real tight squeeze. And with the sale prices out now couldn't beat it.   Wink

Excellent choice

A well proven, reliable and trusted tent

I live with fear and danger every day, and in the weekend she sometimes lets me fish and hunt

IP Logged

Tepuke80

If it doesn't fit, FORCE
IT

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Coxy wrote on Jan 3rd, 2011 at 4:29pm:
MSR all the way after looking at the weights of the Macpac ones in question, the two man MSR carbon reflex tent is under half the weight of the Olympus and would pack down to half the size more than likely, check out the specs here http://cascadedesigns.com/en/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/carbon-reflex-2/prod....

Cheers Coxy

Mate like the look of the MSR tents
Don't know how they'd hold up above the tree line in the South Island during winter, Had used an Olympus before and found it quite sturdy, most trip using the tent will be choppering in so weight not too much of an issue. cheers anyways

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I brought this with the idea of being flown on to the tops and walking out. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=338951891

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards