Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old dog  - sore legs and wheezes (Read 352 times)
lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Old dog  - sore legs and wheezes
Dec 5th, 2010 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Hi

have an old ridgeback 11 1/2 years in good nick apart from 2 problems. His back legs are getting really stiff, I give him a gentle walk every day and that helps. I have read that glucosamine is good and got a 500ml tub with a little scoop everyday on his food but I can't say I notice much difference so far (about a month). Is it worth the effort and is there anything else worth a try. His diet is eukenauba large breed senior food and some scraps.

second problem is his vocal cords have gone which i'm told is common and not much can be done. I think he gets stuff down his airway as he wheezes a lot now. I've raised his foodbowl onto a step so he doesn't have to bend down to eat which I was told can reduce the risk of food going down the wrong way after he coughed some blood and a pea. Any other ideas to help keep his lungs clear?

cheers

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Re: Old dog  - sore legs and wheezes
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Lowbox
The gentle excercise and glucosamine are good things to be on, you are feeding a quality food as well.
Some dogs with arthritis can also benefit from green lipped mussel and shark cartilage supplements.
There is very good prescription pain relief for dogs as well if you can take him to the vet (eg Rimadyl, Metacam or Previcox). Theres also a series of injections you can give to promote good cartilage in the joints which can help (eg cartrophen).
Hills now make a dog food for joints ("Hills JD") which can be good (has lots of omega oils in it and probably works in  a similar way to what the above supplements do).

The bark thing is interesting- some dogs do naturally get hoarse with old age but wheezing might suggest a chest problem (heart and or lungs) or could even be to do with the nerves which control the voice box especially if his swallowing is affected.
Is he chesty after lying down, does he cough or sneeze, do you ever see a clear drip at his nose? If so pulmonary oedema from wear and tear on the heart is a possibility.
Its probably a good idea to get him looked over if you can.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards