Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tents Again! (Read 5159 times)
popoff
Forum Senior

Beer,Bait & Bullets

Tents Again!
Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Hey Guys, I have looked at the recent threads regarding Light Weight Tents and have another couple of questions that i hope someone can help with.
My trips would generally be limited to the Kaweka/Kaimanawa area generally from October at the earliest through to May. At times i could spend a week in the tops. I have probably narrowed my choice down to Hubba Hubba, Hubba Hubba Hp,Macpac Olympus or the Tera Nova Quasa Supa Lite.
The Hubba Hubba's are a three season tent- would this be adequate?
Is the Hp worth the extra 3 to 4 hundred $
Does the Hp have as good ventilation as the standard Hubba Hubba the inner mesh material is more dense? Dont want to be too hot in summer when there are mossies about.
Any issues with condensation in any of these?
Anyone know of a retailer in the auckland area that would have a selection of these to have a look at?
Can't find a waterproof rating for the, Hubba Hubba and Hp ,they state the floor is rated 10000mm but cant find rating on the rest of it.

Any other comments appreciated also, thanks in advance. Pete

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Re: Tents Again!
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Looking at its is a little hard and forgive me but is irrelevant..
You really need feedback from places like this.
How else will you know if it condensates leaks or blows over?
The answers will arrive soon. Then you'll be less confused and have some good choices. Smiley
Hubba Bubbas about 5000. I think.
You better state if you camp tops at all. Sounds like you do from the sellection of interest.

IP Logged

blacksheep

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 10:34am
Print Post  
why not go tp Sylvia park and check them out?  Macpac have opened a store there, and bivouac is next door (and K'du is also next door)...you can compare the tents side by side..

**disclosure**blacksheep=moutonnoir&moutonnoir=macpac&fairydown..I am Cam from Macpac

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I run a Macpac Olympus, its bullet proof and can be used as just a fly at this time of year which is very handy and cuts its heavy weight and bulk in half.
You don't get condensation much with a fly just the bugs, in winter the tent is great for ventilation and okay for snow shedding.
I have had 100 kph winds smash that Olympus when other parties lost their tents the Olympus held.
Tahr cull several years ago we had something like 12 parties out.
7 tents lost/damaged IIRC, I think only 4 groups slept dry.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

IP Logged

popoff
Forum Senior

Beer,Bait & Bullets

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Yep Primer feedback from people that use these tents is exactly what i'm after!The people selling them only tell you what you want to hear! Wink And as stated in the post i will be spending up to a week in the tops and i appreciate looking at them wont answer my questions, but will give me a better idea of type of construction, workmanship, what features some have and dont have.

Thanks blacksheep thats exactly what i wanted to know. I only live an hour out of AK but have no idea where to go, so that i spend as little time in the big smoke as possible!

Thanks Guys

IP Logged

crnkin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 11:06am
Print Post  
In my opinion, 3 season tents are fine for winter, but you need to make the decision if you will be pitching in the snow, and if you will actually go out when the forecast is for wind and snow.

A 4 season tent typically can hold up to wind and snow, whereas the 3 season tents can usually survive driving rain and cold, just not the same level of wind or snow.

It will make a difference to the price you pay and the weight. The olympus sounds like a great 4 season tent. Im surprised at Weathered's experience, tunnel tents usually fail before geodesic tents. But you cant argue with experience!

There's a difference between 'the tops' and Mt cook.

I made the decision to buy a lighter 3 season tent, but If I was gonna be consistently above the snowline, the olympus would be great, and only a 700gm weight difference.

If I was in your position, I'd get the Macpac Nautilus. Cheap, light, nz company, great 3 season tent.

I bought the Marmot limelight, but didn't realise the macpac sale would be as low as it is. (especially with the vip card)

Chris

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Wilderness Mag has tents in this issue.
Rated the Hubba at 1500mm.

IP Logged

Eccles
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Ive used a Macpac Nautilus for about 16 years, all year round in all weather and never slept wet. Even after pitching the tent in really heavy rain or driving snow its kept me as snug as a bug in a rug Grin
Its still weatherproof but because the poles have started to wear through the nylon loops that hold the tent under the fly, Ive recently purchassed its replacement. I chose the bigger brother to the Nautilus, the Olympus. Also made by Macpac, its slightly heaver but my friend bought one when I bought my Nautilas and its a much stronger tent with a lot more room.

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
we were on a tahr trip the other week, tents were Msr (have to check with CLaw exactly what model, macpac minaret and fairydown plateau (my two). We had some pretty high winds one night, the forecast had said they would be sever gale 110kmh at 2000m, we were at 1500. (lost a chilly bin with our food in it that had been buried in the snow) All three tents handled it with no damage. The minaret is pretty much a two pole version of the Olympus, I would have no worries about the Olympus handling it, You want something light so wont mention anything more about the plateau... Grin
Heres a pic of them (report on teh trip to come when I get video done, Claw took this photo)

IP Logged

crnkin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Looks like a carbon reflex. Noice.

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
If you are after a super light weight tent I use a MSR carbon reflex, they are amazingly light and for summer hunting you can leave the inner at home and use the poles and fly only.
If you are looking at buying locally PM me first as I more than likely can get you a carbon reflex for the price of a hubba hubba.

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Distant Stalker wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:40pm:
we were on a tahr trip the other week, tents were Msr (have to check with CLaw exactly what model, macpac minaret and fairydown plateau (my two). We had some pretty high winds one night, the forecast had said they would be sever gale 110kmh at 2000m, we were at 1500. (lost a chilly bin with our food in it that had been buried in the snow) All three tents handled it with no damage. The minaret is pretty much a two pole version of the Olympus, I would have no worries about the Olympus handling it, You want something light so wont mention anything more about the plateau... Grin
Heres a pic of them (report on teh trip to come when I get video done, Claw took this photo)

How much was the chopper to get you boys up there ? I cant see any of you guys walking up that high  Grin

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin We did have to climb up and down there a couple of times to recover animals (good to be camped above them but they are a dog to climb back up with Grin)

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Distant Stalker wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:39pm:
Grin Grin We did have to climb up and down there a couple of times to recover animals (good to be camped above them but they are a dog to climb back up with Grin)

It would have been like a old farts tahr hunt that one  Grin if you ever get the report up please make sure you add about the ones that were shot at range and never recovered to confirm the kills.

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I've got an older style Fairydown Altimate.  Rated 4 season and weighs about 2.5kg.  It's a 2 man tent and works bloody well.  Haven't tested it in the extremes yet, but it's certainly built very well and looks to be bullet proof.  can't wait to get it up the Kaimanawas/Kawekas when I'm home! Smiley

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes. It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do. Keith Draper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards