Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HUntech Bivy Bag (Read 2313 times)
Dicko

HUntech Bivy Bag
Nov 17th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Guys, I'm looking at buying one of these bags second hand for early season use with a fly.  I appreciate all bivy bags have some limitations - condensation etc. However am I wondering if the huntech ones are a reasonable bit of kit for what they are and are they comparable to the better bivy bags out there?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Dicko

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: HUntech Bivy Bag
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I have used a huntec bivvy bag for the last 12-13 yrs since new. Mainly on the tops of the Kaimanawa's and South lsland tops during Summer/Autumn. I reckon the price is right, they're light weight and work well either under a tent fly or just by themselves.
On some heavy dewy mornings, have had a bit of condensation around the foot end but only occassionly - then again was nice and warm inside. I have been using a Faireydown Scorpian sleeping bags for years now.
At the end of the day the huntec bivvy bag works as advertised.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dicko

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Huntsouth, thanks for the feedback. Years ago huntech gear was good quality but dear, i have a bit and like it. Now it appears that the company is on the nose for a lot of nz hunters (this board) .  Appreciate your response.

Richard

Dicko

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 9:06am
Print Post  
I have one from 15years ago, works great, spent many nights in nelson lakes and north west nelson, camped under the stars. hunting reds and chammy.
I too have had the odd time when a bit of damp ness in the feet area, I think you move your feet about more when sleeping and dew getts pulled in, still use it even up here in northern alberta, now for ducks and geese just cover in straw and hide shotgun in stubble.
agree with huntsouth, not a bad bit of kit.

IP Logged

Dicko

Re: Huntech Bivy Bag
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Canada kiwi, where are you in northern alberta, and what are you up to there? I am just back from visiting a mate there. In the past years i have hunted there on the hunter host program that alberta runs.

Dicko

IP Logged

Jasec

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, Likewise I have had one for about 15 years.  Top notch I reakon.  Have had it re waterproofed and seamsealed as a precautionary measure but other than that no worries.

My experience with the condensation inside the bag seems to be more from me rather than from the outside getting in.  I would recommend the kit and support an NZ business.

J Smiley

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2010 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Just got back from tahr hunting a week back near Mt Cook with a mate. We both bivvied out - me using my Huntec one and my mate using my other ex Macpac Army one. We spotted tahr from our camp site and got couple of meat animals - again both bivvy bags did well, the stars were out, bit of snow here and there but no heavy dew. Nice heavy walk out in hot weather, those river crossings were cooling!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards