Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic How to help SAR find you if you are lost (Read 25994 times)
Weathered
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Re: How to help SAR find you if you are lost
Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
SAR lost person behaviour database

There used to be a pile of info you could access there including info to correct this annoying mistake by Aquila but the links have been broken, probably because someone wants to sell a book now  Angry

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Monowai

If hunting was easy everyone
would be doing it

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
When I was doing the deer culling thing I was told that if you get lost, and there are punga trees with dry fronds hanging down, light them - especially if you hear a chopper - the burn fast and create think white smoke by setting the green fronds on fire.

IP Logged

Alba

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Some great comments above, especially the initial post.

Couple more:

When leaving sign:
- Ferns if you walk through them (or put them in a similar state by hand) stand out very well for trackers...when walked through/brushed past the underside of the leaf is exposed and leaves what is known as a lighthouse it is very different looking to the top of the leaf and indicates your direction of travel well...get a mate to go through some bush and push past some ferns then stand back and look, it is very obvious where they went.

- Choppers; fire is good all the time as noted above give thought to how its down though and try to use green stuff for white smoke. At night a torch right into the cockpit will piss the guy off with night vision goggles but he won't miss you - it hurts (i.e. do it because it helps, don't be surprised if he slaps you when he gets down though hehe). Day time...wave by all means, when it looks like they are looking at you, stand straight with both arms up to form a Y with your body - international sign to say you want help and very obvious as opposed to a tramper waving at them. When they come in...bend on one knee, head down and cover your face...downwash and debris can be a bitch in the bush, wait for the rotors to stop or someone to come out and guide you into the chopper...and be careful of the rear rotors especially!

Whenever possible - recognise the guys that came out probably in shitty weather and the middle of the night or were meant to be at work...even just thanks through the local SAR group is appreciated but a Koha certainly never goes amiss, In NZ the guys are volunteers and most of the gear they are wearing is their own or only partially subsidised. My old man was a chopper S&R pilot for 30+years in highlands and fishing areas, fishermen often brought a sack or two of the catch in, farmers would drop a lamb in or whatever, really gives the guys a morale boost and as hunter costs very little extra time.

IP Logged

Kezza
Donor Member

See It, Shoot It, Eat
It

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
take a photo of the sole of your boots and leave it where its easily found at home with your intentions or something. Real helpful when we are tracking footprints. Great to know if its yours or we are wasting our time tracking some other person

If it is there, It's there to be climbed !

IP Logged

Dick

Figuring it out

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Any use in shining a green laser straight up into the sky?

They make a beam that's fairly visible in the night sky. Can get one with spare change from 10 bucks too.

IP Logged

Diver9888

Ex FIREMAN8

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Good info palerider,im new to hunting very new Smileyand this is the sort of info that counts  when everything turns to shit ,not everyone is a hero and hides from sars then follows them out ,I would rather be found and learn from my mistakes than risk going back in next time and gettin lost again keep up the good work sar Wink

I totally agree, it also never really occurred to me that there were so many points that were helpful to SAR

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 9:21am
Print Post  
What great information there is in this article thanks some of the stuff here I did not know.

As a child my farther and also at school I was always told if you ever get lost either in the the bush or in an urban environment then stay in that spot and not to move until you are found.  I would assume that this rule would still apply toady even when SAR are looking for me (should that ever happen).  I am teaching my 5 year old daughter this leason at the moment, am I wrong in my thinking and teachings. Would love to know peoples thoughts espeacialy from people who are currently in SAR.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:10am
Print Post  
hunting here in central south island for last 20odd years it gets hard to see how anyone gets bushed down here. mount Somers is classic case..if you just walk DOWNHILL/down stream you have to come out where you started from or plurry close to it as the ashburton side of hill is huge watershed that drains out past entry points. you have to go a long way back and up to get out of that watershed.
If injured and unable to get out on my own,you will find me by a creek.....tucked up warm and waiting with small fire going. and wearing ashley gumboots makes lovely easy to find tracks Grin Grin Grin my Wife always has plan of where I am and estimated time out. our home computer has hunting area on google earth so my haunts are there to be seen.

IP Logged

Noob

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
my Wife always has plan of where I am and estimated time out. our home computer has hunting area on google earth so my haunts are there to be seen.

Technology these days makes it easier too.  I screen shot the DOC maps website where I will be hunting, and send that to my partner or save it on our Ipad so she can see.  You can even edit the image and draw your intended route on it if necessary.

I am now off to take a photo of the sole of my boots and pxt it to her - she will wonder what the hell I am doing Cheesy

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
carry a PLB..... and if you need to use it...push the plurry button.
much much easier to find and help someone if we know where you are to begin with...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards