Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steel Target Stands (Read 2415 times)
Alford Forest
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Steel Target Stands
Oct 24th, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Have just completed a new target stand, nice and easy to make and it fits in your boot  Smiley

The main parts are also individually replaceable in case of the odd "flyer"  Wink

Looks like a pile of scrap! - this easily fits in the boot of my wifes Yaris (i.e very small).  The triangles are 1 inch box and a bit of 2 inch box.  Leg extenders are 16mm Rebar and the plate hanger is a Warratah.  The most likely bit to get accidentally shot is the Warratah = $6 to replace.  Plate is 40cm square for a nice loud ring (its really loud)

Slide it all together and you have a target! The legs cam inward and grab onto the Warratah and she all locks up solid.  You might want to beef things up a little for an "all comers" target or just limit the .338's to 600y min - where they should be anyway!

The only place where I might mod it is to put some more box under the 2inch sq main cross support.  Looks a bit sus to me but I am assured it "might be ok..."

Big props to the Ashburton College Trades Boys who knocked the thing up for me  Smiley

Total cost = $30 plus the plate at $80 (offcut)

Any (helpful) suggestions or other designs that people are happy with feel free to add below  Smiley

IP Logged

OldNewbie
Ex Member

Re: Steel Target Stands
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Does the warratah fit in above the 2 inch square tube? That might lock it in tighter..

Looks good tho, I am using an old steel table at the moment, a hassle to carry and the three-o toasts the furniture tubing, so it may not last long  Grin

IP Logged

Alford Forest
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Nah - it locks up really tight and stable when the plate goes on any way.  The idea is that it comes apart again!

IP Logged

Hendrik375
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Nice frame!

Mine is just 5x angle iron screwed together - folds up real small on it self but can be a finger pincher when not handled carefully and need tools to setup:

IP Logged

yawn
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
The sign stands from your local highway maintenance crew are good. ( and free if they have a few damaged ones)Just shorten the legs and a  little bending. They fold down flat.

IP Logged

Philipo
Forum Font

Still waiting for my Section-Eight

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Not bad AF But you should use rebar instead of wire for hanging the plate
or do'nt you shoot your own wire's  Lips Sealed Roll Eyes Tongue Grin Grin

Shoot it, root it & BBQ it !!!

IP Logged

Alford Forest
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Hey!  I never shot anything  Undecided  Must have been the tracer melted it going past?  Agree that wire aint the best solution to hanging the plate.

I had a plan to use the rest of the 16mm rebar to make S hooks - the only slight problem is bending the damn stuff - its a prick to bend nicely even with the bigger bigger hammer! Shocked Shocked

Will get onto some hooks when i score some thinner steel, in the mean time there is about a million miles of scrap wire at the end of my driveway  Smiley

IP Logged

xtightg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Looks good, we have to get using these things.
More fun than paper.
Would be a good competition maybe moving further away after each shot to the last man or woman standing. Smiley

IP Logged

270guy

Can't argue with the facts.

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Hi All,
just wondering what sort of plate you're all using, and what is the usual distance you shoot at your gongs? I ask as I have my own gong, with 10mm mild steel plate, I usually shoot at from 200m & 300m (longest distance at the range I use). With the 270win, the projectiles (130gr Hornady SP) punch nice round holes, while Interbonds, make 8mm deep craters, @ 200m. I've patched up a few holes.
The white centre is hinged at the back, so I can tell if  the hit was dead centre. It sits flat in the back of the ute, and the plate can be undone if need be.
cheers

"All too often, good luck, is the result of hard work"

IP Logged

crzy-man
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
16mm bisaloy, waste of time using mild steel.  I don't set up anything inside 250 meters for steel now unless its my steel rabbits.

IP Logged

270guy

Can't argue with the facts.

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
thanks, the plate was the right price - free, so don't mind the odd patch job. And its great fun to see, then hear a hit, on a steel target. Wish I had somewhere with a little extra distance to try though. cheers

"All too often, good luck, is the result of hard work"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards