Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
DX (Dealextreme) lights: full test results. (Read 4327 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

christchurch
DX (Dealextreme) lights: full test results.
Sep 28th, 2010 at 1:01am

Well - a very interesting night with 10 hunters arriving with a range of DX and other lights for testing.

Earlier in day we had painted a bunch of 2L milk bottles bunny brown to simulate hunting conditions, and set up these markers on the left hand grass verge of a straight private driveway using rangefinder at 50, 60, 75, 100, 115, and 125 meters. Had also set up on the right hand side plain white milk 2L bottles at 125, 150, 175 and 200 meters to check max reach. There was no light interference from street lights etc, and it was pitch black tonight.

I have to say I did not expect these inexpensive DX lights to pick out brown coloured markers much past 100 meters. I was very wrong.

Note: all prices for DX stuff in NZ dollars, landed here.

First up the little headlamps which were not expected to reach too far. Test results:  Shocked Shocked Shocked

1. A Led Lenser headlamp which cost $120. This light was not overly bright and managed perhaps 50m, but with little power.

2. A DX headlamp (44500) which cost $28. This little lamp is very good, quite bright with its zoom or flood lens, and easily picked out the brown bunny marker at 75 meters. Wow!. Also picked out the white marker to 100+ meters.

3. Another DX headlamp (26250) which cost just $18. This lamp is stunning. Not quite as bright as the DX one above but with terrific range. Picked out the brown marker at 100 meters, and the white marker to 125-150.  Shocked

Both DXs seriously out-performed this similar Led Lenser model.

Next the bigger torches:

1. The 008 recoil thrower (22934) worth about $34. This light made out all the brown markers out to 125m, and showed up the white markers to about 175m. A good spotlight torch with useful beam width.

2. Stefan's modded 501with aspheric lens and replacement LED. This torch also picked out all brown markers  to 125m, and white ones to 150+.

3.  The HS 802 (16538). This torch also full 125 on bunny brown markers and 200m on white ones. However one 802 died in afternoon, and another malfunctioning. Not reliable.

4.  P7 - not sure of make yet. Not a great performer. good light to 75-90m max. Not in class of others.

5.  The 502D (4314) with smooth reflector - $29. A useful mid range torch ok for possums etc but not long range at 75 - 80 meters max on brown markers.

6. Another 502D as above but with $3 aspheric lens added. Huge improvement and now a dedicated thrower with tight beam. Picked out brown markers to 125, and white markers to 175+

7.The X2000 (14450) at $16.70 with fullly adjustable beam from flood to spot, hi and lo power etc and 18650 battery. A gem. Very bright beam out towards 100m - perhaps the brightest - and just picked out markers also to 125 for brown, and 175 for white. Also good spread for scanning.

8. The X2000 with a C123 battery. Not so bright - get the 18650 option.

9. TR1200 worth about $64. Not as bright as expected but clear 125m on brown bunny markers, and 175+ on white. Second best long distance spotlight.

10.  The WF 800 (6965) at about $50. This is the best of the tight beam spots and picked up brown markers easily at 125 and the white at 200m. Excellent torch - not wide beam.

Note: these torch distances are measured in perfect conditions. When hunting in paddocks at night, many factors affect max torch range - moonlight, long grass, uneven ground, varied grass colour etc. Even in daytime, you quite often won't see them until they take off from just meters away.

CONCLUSIONS:

It is quite clear there are a number of DX lights that will do the job well for bunny spotlighting - e.g the modified 501 and 502s with aspheric lens, the 008, the X2000, the TR1200, and the WF800. There was a fair bit of discussion, and reasonable concensus concerning 3 torches which stand out for different reasons.

1. The cheap DX headlamp (26250) that could just pick out bunny markers at 100m. Amazing value and great for paddock scanning before switching on the rifle spotlight for shooting.

2. The WF 800 (6965). This is an excellent spotlight and lights them up best at long range. Bigger and heavier, but a very good rifle-mounted torch.

3.  The X2000 (14450) with the 18650 battery. This torch is very small, very versatile. You can use it as a house torch on low power, zoom it up to a 100m plus for spotlighting, or broaden beam to shoot possums at 30m. A popular option that does everything well. VERY bright out to 100m which is the prime bunny shooting range. It was decided that regardless of what people choose, they should all also get an X2000 - because its so cheap and so useful, and good at what it does. A number of people went away to buy 2-3 - for self, for mates, and for Graeme to give to his wife so he stays out of trouble... Roll Eyes

So there you have it. Some good choices  - many of which did the 100m+ job well in these particular conditions. Of them all, 3 that people thought stood out, and interesting that 2 of these cost less than $20 each.

In all a very pleasant and interesting evening for a keen bunch of shooters. We all learned plenty! Guys - please add or explain more where needed - I won't have remembered everything.

Quackers - I would not bother with AAA X2000. May not have the power output of the 18650 battery model. Go to the 18650 one (14450) and this torch plus charger and pair of rechargeable batts still less than $40. Also the 18650 batts last better and are interchangeable with most other bigger DX spots.

Done..

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2010 at 11:13am by mudgripz »  

IP Logged

gadgetman
Donor Member

Slow down, I'm getting
there!

Christchurch
Re: DX (Dealextreme) lights: full test results.
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 2:28am

Thanks for setting up the test and organizing all the torches and people Mike. Very interesting, and I think DX will be shipping a good quantity of x2000's, batteries and chargers to this part of the world.

One interesting thing to note was that the observers further away from the testers could see targets lit up at a greater distance. I suspect that this was due to the very intense bright lights lighting up the air around the torches lowering the contract. This was particularly evident with the better head lamps; those at the end of the queue could see the white bottles to 200m with the two better head lamps.

If you don't know what you're doing, how will you know when you've finished it?

IP Logged

Sako75
Donor Member

Auckland
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 7:29am

Cheers for taking the time to organize,test and post the results.

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Canterbury, NZ
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 8:42am

Thanks Mike and team, really interesting read with very useful info. Much appreciated.

IP Logged

Mohoua
Donor Member

An inordinate fondness
for beetles

Tauranga
Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:02pm

Awesome my x2000 should be here in a few days ordered one quite a while ago.

IP Logged

The_Jester

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:41pm

Another interesting test would be to find someone friendly with a deer farm and tie a deer to the post at say 50 100 150 200 250 300 350 400 meters and see how the torches go as far as visibility of deer backdrop (shooting backdrop), then target identification, then just picking up eyes.

IP Logged

cleaky
Donor Member

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Southland
Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:52pm

Cheers for doing this test ... any comments on the advertised runtimes? Are they accurate?

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Sako75
Donor Member

Auckland
Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 3:43pm

Scope mounts for the X2000?

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

christchurch
Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Don't know about runtimes for torches. The little headlamps do at least an hour on hi before dropping off in performance some. Many hours on lower power.

I'd use these torches for .22 distances - out to round 100m. Would need something more grunty for deer at 200- 300m.

Several mountings - all good and v cheap. I use:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000. These are $3.00NZ a pair. Note X2000 needs only one.

And for torches with bigger front lens which need more clearance from scope bell:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33755  at $7NZ, but you need a wider weaver type scope ring to fit torch onto this mounting, so get these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4772 at $7NZ.

If you want barrel mounting, then:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5819 at about $7NZ.

Probably others too - check the mounting and accessories page here:  http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.914

All good quality and for some you pay $40+ in NZ retail.

IP Logged

hg
Forum Senior

Wellington
Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:23pm

How does the led lenser compare close in , for brightness and beam width?For walking in the dark in the bush.

IP Logged

Manual Man
Donor Member

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Upper Hutt
Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Nice reviews Mike, would be interesting to see how some of those torches compare with some of the more efficient LEDs, I'm going to do some tests with my torchs now with a white milk bottle. I have both an XP-G R5 and a XR-E R2 in P60 hosts (plus a Dolphin torch Grin)...the R5 pushing 250+ and R2 (a nicely focused) 220 lumen off a 18650 while a P4 pushes 150 with the same current.
(the R5 pushes over 430 lumen with a fully charged 18650 (1.6A @ 4.2V)...but thats not supposed happen so currently have a new driver board on the way to limit the current to 1 A to produce 320 lumen)

(also for general comparisons a dolphin torch on a fresh battery is about 60 lumen..though very well focused)

Got any photos? Wink

IP Logged

gadgetman
Donor Member

Slow down, I'm getting
there!

Christchurch
Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:53pm

cleaky wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:52pm:
Cheers for doing this test ... any comments on the advertised runtimes? Are they accurate?

I wouldn't put a lot of trust in the run times. For instance the x2000 with the C123A had twice the run time as the 18650 despite having typically a third the power capacity but still running the same LED.

Typically most seem to run about an hour to an hour twenty with usable output. Just get a couple of extra sets of batteries. I'd recommend going for 18650 powered torches as they have about 50-60% increase in energy density over the C123A.

IP Logged

undead_knight

Live Long and Prosper

Auckland
Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:53pm

gadgetman wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 2:28am:
the very intense bright lights lighting up the air around the torches lowering the contract. This was particularly evident with the better head lamps; those at the end of the queue could see the white bottles to 200m with the two better head lamps.

This is the biggest problem i have with me H7, the white light is just too intense an it reflects the air and cold breath  Undecided

Cheers for all the info  Smiley

Would you be able to put a link in the names, as its hard to find the right ones Cry

IP Logged

gadgetman
Donor Member

Slow down, I'm getting
there!

Christchurch
Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:58pm

Manual Man wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 4:41pm:
Nice reviews Mike, would be interesting to see how some of those torches compare with some of the more efficient LEDs, I'm going to do some tests with my torchs now with a white milk bottle. I have both an XP-G R5 and a XR-E R2 in P60 hosts (plus a Dolphin torch Grin)...the R5 pushing 250+ and R2 (a nicely focused) 220 lumen off a 18650 while a P4 pushes 150 with the same current.
(the R5 pushes over 430 lumen with a fully charged 18650 (1.6A @ 4.2V)...but thats not supposed happen so currently have a new driver board on the way to limit the current to 1 A to produce 320 lumen)

(also for general comparisons a dolphin torch on a fresh battery is about 60 lumen..though very well focused)

Got any photos? Wink

There was a camera, but it was thought that good photos were unlikely to be obtained. A visual side by side comparison was done instead. After all we'll be using them visually rather than via camera.

IP Logged

sub1022

Chch
Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:27pm

Very informative evening, with some of the small torches giving good light out to 100m easily.  

The 502 (18650 powered)with an R2 drop-in+aspherical lens+smooth reflector mounted to a rifle would be the pick of the bunch for me, a small powerful setup

Find em with the headlamp and blind em with the 502  Wink

Here's the link to my headlamp http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26250

Of course DX will eventually get cheaper versions of HID torches ....then the goalposts shift again.

"in nomine Patris et Fili et Spiritus Sancti - Fire !"

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

christchurch
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:42pm

Stefan - what make/model was that P7 you tried last night?

IP Logged

sub1022

Chch
Reply #16 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:51pm

mudgripz wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:42pm:
Stefan - what make/model was that P7 you tried last night?

TrustFire SSC P7-C 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (2*18650/17670)
$38.19

"in nomine Patris et Fili et Spiritus Sancti - Fire !"

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

christchurch
Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:59pm

You could choose several models, but my search is done now.

Young fella and I have an X2000 and the modded 502D each - and that'll cover every option, plus a headlamp.

If you could attach the X2000 to a cap - under a strip of elastic etc - now that would be a scanner!!

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Christchurch
Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:14pm

sub1022 wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:27pm:
Very informative evening, with some of the small torches giving good light out to 100m easily.  

The 502 (18650 powered)with an R2 drop-in+aspherical lens+smooth reflector mounted to a rifle would be the pick of the bunch for me, a small powerful setup

Find em with the headlamp and blind em with the 502  Wink

Here's the link to my headlamp http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26250

Of course DX will eventually get cheaper versions of HID torches ....then the goalposts shift again.

Sub1022 thanks for sharing your knowledge last night. A 502 is headed my way. I was keen to do your lens mod, but got confused about which one to purchase. How do I know what diameter lens to order (for this or any other light)?

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Donor Member

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

The Pa
Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:29pm

so best charger and batterys to get for this torch mudgripz, got the code for them ..

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print