Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wallaby hunting around Waimate (Read 4422 times)
minefield

Wallaby hunting around Waimate
Sep 23rd, 2010 at 7:09am
Print Post  
I am looking at Wallaby hunting aroung the Waimate area, I have a contact in the area that says he knows the best places to go.

Anyone else had a go at Wallaby hunting , How hard are they to bring down Smiley???

IP Logged

hamstring
Forum Senior

beauty is only a lightswitch
away.

Re: Wallaby hunting around Waimate
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 8:27am
Print Post  
pretty easy,
you might lose a few arrows in that tussock though if they pass right through.

IP Logged

inky10

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Easy to hunt. Tend to be hunted all day long but I find later in the afternoon til dusk is the best time as they tend to come out into the open more especially if hunting on edge of gullys full of motagouri etc.

IP Logged

otpayne
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
fast little buggers, been after them twice now, once you get them they are not hard to bring down, but getting near them on some of the hills is a bugger and they seem to be able to vanish into the tussock at will. Agree that they are hunted hard and early morning and last thing at night or lamping is your best bet.

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
just go nice and slow like everything they pop up when you least expect i was in waimate in Augest and nailed one in bush was only there 2 hours.

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

minefield

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Richard Flett wrote on Sep 24th, 2010 at 7:48pm:
just go nice and slow like everything they pop up when you least expect i was in waimate in Augest and nailed one in bush was only there 2 hours.  

Though it would be a great place to go for a weekend, Stay at a Waimate pub Smiley Smiley, just a thought,,, Today I did the unspeakable a dry fire and 2 shots later the string parted, I have a string stop and I think it helped as I have no damage to the limbs, Not a good way to start a weekend Undecided

IP Logged

Richard Flett

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Yea mate stay at the waimate hotel its got a circlur bar you might run into my partners dad there great place to drink lol

Hunting/Fishing a way of life

IP Logged

Ndoda

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Waimate pub! Last time I was down there on a Wally hunt, there was a drunk stag party on the go and everybody wanted to fight. There was a few scraps, but luckily they took it outside before it got messy!

IP Logged

Ruger Weasel

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Miinefield: how did the wallaby hunt go? I hunted a friends property down there, we were told if we didn't shoot 20 or more we were useless...? We took two each and it was great fun, they are tasty critters too. After a shot ( with the .270) a few others would show themselves and we would watch the resting ones under bushes more closely. Noticed lots more sleeping under thick shrubs on the way out. I picked up campylobacter drinking from a stream there (or eating cold chicken on the way home), no pain I've ever experienced comes close to that.
Just recently a lot of the hunter hills has been deforested so having private property to look over is a real blessing-

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2020 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Does anyone have an update on wallaby numbers in the Waimate region? Have to do a trip down the in next week or two and might be a good excuse to check out some of the DoC land. Have been told the block accessed of haka Pass is worth a look?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
There are always wallabies in that area but you might want to check if there been any 1080 on that block recently. Probably not. Right now we are finding them at all levels from high in the snow tussock to low in scrubby swampy gullies.  My guess would be if you you walk up any scrubby creek you will get an opportunity. Its been quiet on public land and no pressure the last few weeks.
Dont forget your free online permit.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2020 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks headcase!

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2020 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Got squeezed for time so ended up taking an early morning walk up to the tussock via Gunns Creek Track - beautiful Bush on the way up but as you get to the tops the undergrowth is pretty chewed out. Saw around 6 Roos bounce away in the scrub, heard a lot more thumping out alarm from surrounding bushes. Definitely see the merit in sniping from across a valley or taking a dog and shotgun (on private land). Saw a mob of 6 goats up on the slopes below the airstrip on Mt Studholme but nothing enough time to go give them a hurry up. Will have to get back down there to have a look up the Haka valley as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards